Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 602

Thread: iPod Classic, R.I.P.

  1. #51
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    13,740
    Mynbiggest problem with iPods is how difficult it is to delete files from it within iTunes - actually, I have this problem with my iPhone but assume it'll be the same with an iPod. Usually I can't, and am forced to do it one song at a time (maybe one album at a time works) on the phone itself. I don't sync any devices now so that may be why.

  2. #52
    Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Coastal California
    Posts
    797
    With an iPod, all the file management is done on iTunes. The pod itself is really only good for playback. The iPhone is a different beast.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

  3. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Mynbiggest problem with iPods is how difficult it is to delete files from it within iTunes - actually, I have this problem with my iPhone but assume it'll be the same with an iPod. Usually I can't, and am forced to do it one song at a time (maybe one album at a time works) on the phone itself. I don't sync any devices now so that may be why.
    There has to be some sort of defect here. I can delete as many songs at once as I choose.

  4. #54
    Member ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,497
    For those of us lamenting the loss of the iPod Classic, you may want to look into the Pono. Expected to be released in Q1 of 2015. It'll be $399 for 128GB (compare to the 64GB iPod Touch at $299). And it's specifically designed to accommodate FLAC files. I suspect that will be my next gadget when the time comes.

    https://ponomusic.force.com/ccrz__Ho...tore=ponomusic

  5. #55
    Progdog ThomasKDye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Vallejo, CA
    Posts
    992
    Anyone want to bet we get a "You spoke, and we listened" news story in a year, maybe?
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

  6. #56
    Member nosebone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Stamford, Ct.
    Posts
    1,442
    Pono is the gadget Neil Young's been endorsing.

    That looks like a good Ipod alternative.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

  7. #57
    ALL ACCESS Gruno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dio, Alabama
    Posts
    2,846
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Anyone want to bet we get a "You spoke, and we listened" news story in a year, maybe?
    I will reserve a small glimmer of hope for this...

  8. #58
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    13,740
    Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    There has to be some sort of defect here. I can delete as many songs at once as I choose.
    I think it's because I don't sync what's on my iPhone with what's on my PC's music library. I never want them to be the same, and the whole idea of syncing them makes no sense to me.

  9. #59
    Studmuffin Scott Bails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Near Philly, PA
    Posts
    5,419
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Anyone want to bet we get a "You spoke, and we listened" news story in a year, maybe?
    I'll take that bet.

    They announced that they were discontinuing the bigger drive iPod a while ago, didn't they? I seem to recall similar outrage about a year ago.

    And there are all kinds of things that Apple users speak about that don't get changed (i.e. an SD slot, etc.).
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

  10. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I think it's because I don't sync what's on my iPhone with what's on my PC's music library. I never want them to be the same, and the whole idea of syncing them makes no sense to me.

    I've never synched my Ipod. I also have no trouble ever deleting anything on Itunes, either from the device or my hard drive. Just highlight what you want gone, right-click and select "delete."

  11. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Anyone want to bet we get a "You spoke, and we listened" news story in a year, maybe?
    I highly doubt it. Apple doesn't want people using Ipods. They want people using their cloud service for music.

    Flash technology will keep getting better and cheaper and the memory on the phones will keep getting larger. You'll probably get a TB or more on those phones in 6-7 years, which should be more than enough for most people if they want to primarily use that memory for music. But the Ipod - I think it's gone for good. People like us - people with more than 1000 albums - make up a tiny subset of the industry and don't drive the market.

  12. #62
    Studmuffin Scott Bails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Near Philly, PA
    Posts
    5,419
    Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    People like us - people with more than 1000 albums - make up a tiny subset of the industry and don't drive the market.
    This is exactly the issue.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

  13. #63
    Member rcarlberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    6,678
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    My biggest problem with iPods is how difficult it is to delete files from it within iTunes
    Have you tried TuneSweeper?

  14. #64
    Member markinottawa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ottawa Ont. Canada
    Posts
    80
    For portability I too have the Sansa MP3 player and use 64 GB MicroSD cards with them.

    As for the technology/servers clouds, my current employer is in complete lockdown due to a hack and no data from any server is available for the "foreseeable future" including things like backup/restore procedures, routers configs. etc. Like "the luddite" I prefer to have control of my own stuff.

  15. #65
    Member ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,497
    Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    I highly doubt it. Apple doesn't want people using Ipods. They want people using their cloud service for music.

    Flash technology will keep getting better and cheaper and the memory on the phones will keep getting larger. You'll probably get a TB or more on those phones in 6-7 years, which should be more than enough for most people if they want to primarily use that memory for music. But the Ipod - I think it's gone for good. People like us - people with more than 1000 albums - make up a tiny subset of the industry and don't drive the market.
    If they want me to use my phone for music then they're going to have to improve battery life along with the storage issue.

  16. #66
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    If they want me to use my phone for music then they're going to have to improve battery life along with the storage issue.
    These are issues that will get resolved in a few short years, as technology improves.

    A consumer move back to single-use electronic gadgets is probably not something that will resolve with time, however.

  17. #67
    Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Plague Sanctuary, Vermont
    Posts
    1,997
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    But again, Apple's Cloud doesn't support Lossless files, does it?
    I can do a better job singing "Supper's Ready" than a cheesy MP3 file can render it.
    Check out this video at around the 21 minute mark and think about this in terms of your requirement for lossless....

    <sig out of order>

  18. #68
    Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Plague Sanctuary, Vermont
    Posts
    1,997
    Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    I've never synched my Ipod. I also have no trouble ever deleting anything on Itunes, either from the device or my hard drive. Just highlight what you want gone, right-click and select "delete."
    How do you put music on your iPod without syncing it?
    <sig out of order>

  19. #69
    I have the settings set to "not sync."

    I don't know that it would be possible to synch my Ipod to my Itunes - I mean, it's only 160G and I've got over 1TB of music on my computer Itunes.

  20. #70
    Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Plague Sanctuary, Vermont
    Posts
    1,997
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Mynbiggest problem with iPods is how difficult it is to delete files from it within iTunes - actually, I have this problem with my iPhone but assume it'll be the same with an iPod. Usually I can't, and am forced to do it one song at a time (maybe one album at a time works) on the phone itself. I don't sync any devices now so that may be why.
    I have a playlist dedicated to my iPhone. I set up iTunes to only sync that one playlist to my phone, not the entire contents of iTunes. I drag and drop albums onto the playlist or I go into the playlist and right-click on individual albums and select "delete". When done I hit Sync. Very simple.
    <sig out of order>

  21. #71
    Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Plague Sanctuary, Vermont
    Posts
    1,997
    Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    I have the settings set to "not sync."

    I don't know that it would be possible to synch my Ipod to my Itunes - I mean, it's only 160G and I've got over 1TB of music on my computer Itunes.
    I know what you're saying, but I think the definition of "sync" has become blurred. Originally the sole meaning may have been to synchronize the entire contents so the device and iTunes had the same contents, but you can set up iTunes to selectively sync now.
    <sig out of order>

  22. #72
    Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Plague Sanctuary, Vermont
    Posts
    1,997
    Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    A lot of newer cars have USB inputs for flash drives, which you can load with music.
    The thing about this I don't like is it all depends on the particular implementation for that car stereo. My recently purchased car stereo can do this, but it won't play WAV files or AAC. So I'm left having to re-rip everything in my collection to MP3? And the method of selecting tracks is painful. So I'd have to upgrade to a nicer model, probably with a bigger screen and I'd have make sure all the metadata was correct so I could find stuff, or...

    It reminds me a bit of a Blu-ray player I bought (and then quickly returned). It had the ability to stream Netflix and such from the Internet. Except that Netflix had changed something and there was no way to update the player and stay current with Netflix, Hulu, or whatever. So it was a nice enticement to get me to buy the product....they threw it out there for the masses...and completely failed to provide the necessary ongoing support. How do I know my car stereo will keep pace? It's often worse than planned obsolescence....
    <sig out of order>

  23. #73
    Member nosebone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Stamford, Ct.
    Posts
    1,442
    Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    I have the settings set to "not sync."

    I don't know that it would be possible to synch my Ipod to my Itunes - I mean, it's only 160G and I've got over 1TB of music on my computer Itunes.
    First, you make an Ipod music playlist in Itunes ( around 140GB's worth),

    then connect your ipod to your computer,

    click on your ipod under devices in the left hand column,

    then check the Sync Music box and check selected playlists, artists, genres and albums box.

    then check the ipod playlist box that you made, and finally the bottom right Sync button.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

  24. #74
    Parrots ripped my flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    4209′30″N 7108′43″W
    Posts
    4,847
    If I hook any of my MP3 players up to my TV or home theater receiver I can easily browse through the folders organized by artist or album name. If I hook up my iPod, I have to poke around and find the files that are randomly shoved into folders called F0 F1 F2 F3 F4 F5 F6 F7 F8 F9 F10 F11 F12 F13 F14 F15 F16 F17 F18 F19 F20 F21 F22 F23 F24 F25 F26 F27 F28 F29 F30 F31 F32 F33 F34 F35 F36 F37 F38 F39 F40 F41 F42 F43 F44 F45 and F46 and hope to find what I want.

  25. #75
    ALL ACCESS Gruno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dio, Alabama
    Posts
    2,846
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    If I hook any of my MP3 players up to my TV or home theater receiver I can easily browse through the folders organized by artist or album name. If I hook up my iPod, I have to poke around and find the files that are randomly shoved into folders called F0 F1 F2 F3 F4 F5 F6 F7 F8 F9 F10 F11 F12 F13 F14 F15 F16 F17 F18 F19 F20 F21 F22 F23 F24 F25 F26 F27 F28 F29 F30 F31 F32 F33 F34 F35 F36 F37 F38 F39 F40 F41 F42 F43 F44 F45 and F46 and hope to find what I want.
    Fthat

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •