Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: iPod Classic, R.I.P.

I'm not a cloud user for music. If I need music while out, my iPod is great for that.

I have stored some docs on a cloud. The only reason for that is for a backup.

Try living in Arizona.

Vast. Wasteland.

Music is like food...it tastes better when you listen outside.

I have two working 160G classics, and a third unopened, so I guess I'm covered for a while

I had a 10 year old 60G i-pod photo that still worked perfectly that was stolen out of my car recently, so I felt I wanted that spare mentioned above as I knew this was coming

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Too bad. It was a great piece of hardware. My 160 GB iPod was one of the best pieces of audio hardware I ever bought.

My only hope is that there will be something from someone in the near-future that will enable us to have even more music in a small device.

Scott, once you get west of PA it's going to be more commonplace. Get across the Mississippi or Missouri and that difficulty to access the cloud goes up to the power of ten.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I don't want to use the cloud
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    May I ask why?
    Call me a Luddite but I don't trust it's reliability or the fact that I've got no control over it. If the server crashes or someone hacks it then what? I can have something not much bigger than a credit card in my packet with all my music on it. Why do I need to link to a network. I'm currently sitting in an office in Boston that has crap wifi in lots of spots but I've still got all my music 1 foot from me.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Scott, once you get west of PA it's going to be more commonplace. Get across the Mississippi or Missouri and that difficulty to access the cloud goes up to the power of ten.
    You people need to join the 21st century!

Call me a Luddite but I don't trust it's reliability or the fact that I've got no control over it. If the server crashes or someone hacks it then what?
    If it crashes or your hacked, you don't lose anything. It's still your music - you've just loaded (or borrowed) a copy to the cloud.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

But again, Apple's Cloud doesn't support Lossless files, does it?
    I can do a better job singing "Supper's Ready" than a cheesy MP3 file can render it.

[QUOTE=Scott Bails;305240]You people need to join the 21st century!

We just got running water and indoor toilets...you cannot hurry progress!

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    But again, Apple's Cloud doesn't support Lossless files, does it?
    I can do a better job singing "Supper's Ready" than a cheesy MP3 file can render it.
    Not sure about that - I honestly couldn't care less.

I use Google Play, but I'm not sure about lossless there, either.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I have a 160gb 6th gen that is 7 years old already, I just ordered a new one from Amazon as soon I heard the news to have as an spare when mine dies out. I have about 17,000 songs on that puppy, then I use my iPhone for smaller playlists for workout and short travels and new music.
    I live in an ephemeral eternity

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Since my iPod nano stopped working (the power button doesn't work, but it comes on if it's plugged in) I use these:

I have several microSD and SD cards that I can use with them, and the Lexar takes AAA batteries.

One of these days I'll need to take apart the iPod to see if the power button issue is easy to fix, as it reportedly often is. The metal button presses down on piece of plastic that in turn presses down the internal switch, and the piece of plastic sometimes becomes dislodged. The geniuses at Apple decided that the only way to open up their device is to use a hair dryer to melt the adhesive holding the glass on.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    One of these days I'll need to take apart the iPod to see if the power button issue is easy to fix, as it reportedly often is.
    Also, try searching for a repair shop in your area. There are places that will fix them and might be inexpensive and save you the hassle.

Call me a Luddite but I don't trust it's reliability or the fact that I've got no control over it. If the server crashes or someone hacks it then what? I can have something not much bigger than a credit card in my packet with all my music on it. Why do I need to link to a network. I'm currently sitting in an office in Boston that has crap wifi in lots of spots but I've still got all my music 1 foot from me.
    You can be sure that their servers are extremely well backed up, so they could probably restore before you even knew anything had happened,.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    You can be sure that their servers are extremely well backed up, so they could probably restore before you even knew anything had happened,.
    So just call me a Luddite
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Just ordered a 160gb iPod classic from Best Buy.

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/73...189b71854e.jpg

I have no need for that new/newer technology until the beak breaks on my current system.

Geez, it's not all music. I have my entire Rifftrax collection of shorts and movies on there, as well as the entire Monty Python's Flying Circus. It's been very useful for trips and for accompanying my dull day job duties. I knew its days were numbered, but we need these high capacity MP3/video players!!
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    Apple has discontinued the iPod Classic, effectively saying "fuck you" to music lovers.
    Yes, they haven't released ANYTHING at all for music fans since.

Anyway, the Walkman was warmer.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 09-10-2014 at 10:35 PM.

I'm thinking that I should order a few to hold on to and then resell when Best Buy runs out and they're hard to get. I can probably double or triple my money a year from now.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Piss. I've needed a new one for a bit but have been putting it off for a few reasons. Guess I need to get one sooner than I thought.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Call me a Luddite but I don't trust it's reliability or the fact that I've got no control over it.
    I hate the whole idea of the cloud. Out here in the west, service can be very spotty -- and I have no interest in handing over any more of my data to an external entity than I have to, whether it's music or anything else. Yeah, if the cloud provider has a crash or gets hacked, I still have my local copies. But then why not just use my local copies in the first place?

I would kill for a high-capacity media player. I want something I can take my entire music library on, so I'll probably invest one of these days in something like a convertible laptop/tablet that I can dedicate to music and leave in the car -- something with a hard drive big enough to hold all my music.

I'm kinda glad I opted away from the I-tunes thing and went for a Sony MP3 player instead.

Granted, the players didn't have the same size of memory, but they sounded way better than ipods - better quality amps inside them - and were not locked into a particular format.

For long enough, I was in a similar dilemma to you guys. Battery dying on the player, and wondering what to replace it with, as Sony seemed to withdraw from that market and focus instead on chasing the I-phone demographic.

But, now it seems Sony have refocused on the dedicated music player market again, and are about to release new players which will have sd card slots to significantly boost on-board memory. And they'll be able to play hi-res formats, if that's your thing.

just as well I saved my pennies...

Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post

But, now it seems Sony have refocused on the dedicated music player market again, and are about to release new players which will have sd card slots to significantly boost on-board memory. And they'll be able to play hi-res formats, if that's your thing.
    http://store.sony.com/64-gb-hi-res-w...lbXUW4ZZkBvAUR

Interesting

The biggest issue is that my car is that my car's system is (cr)apple integrated, so it displays the info on the dashboard display and I wouldn't want to lose that

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."