Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122

Thread: iPod Classic, R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by noni View Post
    How much and what is the size?
    80 GB. I don't remember exactly how much it was, but it with shipping and everything it was around $120.

The new iPod Touch was unveiled recently.

It's been a very long time since Apple updated an iPod product. Looks like I will be grabbing one soon.

https://www.apple.com/ipod-touch/specs/

$399 for 256gb version

I also like that it still has a built-in 3.5mm headphone jack.

I fairly recently bought one of these. It has 256 gb but I believe he can rig them up to 512. Flash memory - no hard drive.

I was pretty happy with it, so that's something else to consider.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PiratePTiP...50330046#items
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

"The older I get, the more I realize that cynicism is just realism spelled wrong."

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Those are sweet, thanks!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    That certainly looks interesting
    Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Wow, it has an actual headphone jack!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    The new iPod Touch was unveiled recently.

It's been a very long time since Apple updated an iPod product. Looks like I will be grabbing one soon.

https://www.apple.com/ipod-touch/specs/

$399 for 256gb version

I also like that it still has a built-in 3.5mm headphone jack.
    I'm going to have to get one myself as well. I'm excited again.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

^ Yeah, it's nice to see them showing some attention to the iPod again after several years. If I didn't already have an iPhone, I'd probably get one. But I keep most of my music on my phone, so I don't really have a need for an iPod at this time.

Is it clear from the new iPod description if it’s SSD or HD?
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

"The older I get, the more I realize that cynicism is just realism spelled wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Is it clear from the new iPod description if it’s SSD or HD?
    I’m pretty sure all the iPod Touch models are SSD. A capacitive touchscreen and a mechanical HD don’t mix in a 6.1mm footprint.

As I’ve got 6GB left on Ye Olde 160 GB iPod Classic, this is the news for which I’ve been waiting. Was even considering an iPad Air. I need my Smart Playlists dammit! Looked at the Sony Walkman, and discovered it restarts any shuffled playlists after powering down. That’s one of the “features” that killed the Zune. Well, according to my wife.
    Quarkspace on Facebook
    Church of Hed on Facebook
    TabMuse -- an online resource dedicated to iOS, Android, hardware, and desktop music apps and synths
    Church of Hed/Quarkspace on Bandcamp

And finally, Apple is driving a stake through the heart of iTunes

https://www.yahoo.com/news/apple-fin...182605328.html
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Yay! iTunes was great during its first few years, but it really deteriorated as time went by. Like that article says, it became a bloated shadow of its former self.

Glad to see they are moving in this direction now.

Question for anyone who may know, if I buy a new iPod and connect it to the computer which has my iTunes library would it load or might it be designed to not acknowledge it?

Quote Originally Posted by jglfan View Post
    Question for anyone who may know, if I buy a new iPod and connect it to the computer which has my iTunes library would it load or might it be designed to not acknowledge it?
    My guess is that it will easily load by your requesting it to sync up with your iTunes library. But I am guessing based on older iPods
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Yeah, that would be my guess too, but then we're talking Apple, and they might rather make me put it on the cloud so they can charge me!

they might rather make me put it on the cloud so they can charge me!
    That's the idea - all the tech giants want us to abandon software and move to the cloud. And then we pay for something we used to own.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    That's the idea - all the tech giants want us to abandon software and move to the cloud. And then we pay for something we used to own.
    According to the old software licenses, technically we never really owned it anyway. We were just paying for a license to use it. Most businesses like the idea of subscription-based services, because it's recurring revenue. I understand it, and if the service offers something that's useful to me (and that couldn't be obtained "the old way"), I have no problem with paying for it.

I really don't like that term "the cloud", but I guess it's here to stay.

Btw, Apple does not force you to use the cloud. You can still manually put music onto your iPod from your computer rather than downloading it through Apple Music.

Yeah, that would be my guess too, but then we're talking Apple, and they might rather make me put it on the cloud so they can charge me!
    If your new iPod is using the current version of iOS, it will work with your iTunes installation. It's not going to force you to use the cloud.

I get that it's hip to hate on Apple, but come on.

Are iPods still popular?

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    Are iPods still popular?
    Yes....In my case. I still use them on my Harley. The current 160gb iPod has been vibrating on my handlebars in a Ram Mount Aqua-Box since 2012. I have 3 working ones and 2 brand new unopened ones in storage. They work flawlessly with iTunes. My iPhone, on the other hand....randomly goes into my iTunes and deletes songs from my Playlists! It takes HOURS to restore my playlists after that DAMN thing syncs. My iPhone WILL NOT go out of Shuffle mode unless you tell Siri to do so. iPods never give me this problem.

Use iPods for yard work.....when you don't want to take a chance to drop / drown / or mow over an expensive iPhone.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

I don't hate Apple, I just suspect they, and others, are trying to make money for services I don't want. None of the music in my iTunes library was downloaded, it was all taken from my cd collection. I still use my original 60 gig iPod but the library has outgrown it. Now that there is a new iPod I would like to buy one, but only if it will synch to my existing library. I am not very tech savvy, to say the least. I'd rather not buy until I know it will work for me.
    <

I don't hate Apple, I just suspect they, and others, are trying to make money for services I don't want. None of the music in my iTunes library was downloaded, it was all taken from my cd collection. I still use my original 60 gig iPod but the library has outgrown it. Now that there is a new iPod I would like to buy one, but only if it will synch to my existing library. I am not very tech savvy, to say the least. I'd rather not buy until I know it will work for me.
    <
    It will. Apple released info yesterday on having separate platforms for music, movies, tv, if I recall correctly. Music will be a stand-alone app and supports the iPod library.

<
    I understand. The majority of my music library is from my CD collection that I've ripped to my computer, and my new iPhone works fine with it. You should be okay with a new iPod.

Apparently the change to iTunes will happen on IOS. Windows users will not see any change yet.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019...dows-and-more/

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I'm hanging onto my iPod & iTunes until forced to move, & then it will probably be away from Appall.
    Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.