Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: iPod Classic, R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Instead I have opted for an 8G Sony Walkman. I cramm a few Gs on it and then use the "All Songs" feature which shuffles by playing all songs alphabetically. Once I've gone through them all, I re-format and drop a few Gs of completely different music and start all over again.
    I do the exact same thing with my Sansa Clip; alphabetical by song title; review and renew when I hit the end of the list.
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Have people tried streaming music from a wireless hard drive to a smartphone? Was just reading about this. Seems like it might be a good way to get a 1 or 2TB MP3 player.
    Primary procreation is accomplished…

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Have people tried streaming music from a wireless hard drive to a smartphone? Was just reading about this. Seems like it might be a good way to get a 1 or 2TB MP3 player.
    Yep. I do it all the time.

Muzecast (free)

Plex (with a fee, but streams video as well)

I only have the free version of Plex, but it's great for streaming music or video to a smart TV.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post

Muzecast (free)

I only have the free version of Plex, but it's great for streaming music or video to a smart TV.
    Is there some way you could then listen in your car to what you're listening to on your phone via Bluetooth?

Also (and related) is there some kind of dongle you can plug a device like into an iPod so that you can broadcast what you're playing via Bluetooth? There sure should be if there isn't - there probably is though.

There we go - this is what I was looking for for my iPod - a Bluetooth transmitter:

https://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-Bl...th+transmitter

Muzecast (free)

And then in the car you could listen to what's being streamed to the phone via Bluetooth, right? A bit convoluted, but lots of space on the hard drive.

My Sony Walkman has Bluetooth. I can play it in the car, on my home stereo, on wireless speakers, or any compatible device. Works beautifully (although it's only on the home stereo that I can properly enjoy the hi-res audio - FLAC, WAV, etc.) I know you're asking about terabyte capacity, which obviously it doesn't have, but 192 gigs is pretty good.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

'The best stuff is really when Mick Pointer was a baby, banging on pots and pans. That was their most "out there" stuff.' - JKL2000

And then in the car you could listen to what's being streamed to the phone via Bluetooth, right? A bit convoluted, but lots of space on the hard drive.
    I think it would depend upon your car's bluetooth capability. My car (apparently) can only bluetooth phone calls - it doesn't play media or GPS directions over the car speakers. Newer models do, apparently.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Yeah, I already stream music in my car from my phone. But this would be from the wireless hard drive to the phone, then from the phone to the car.

Yeah, I already stream music in my car from my phone. But this would be from the wireless hard drive to the phone, then from the phone to the car.
    So...download Muzecast or Plex, and stream it to your car's Bluetooth.

So...download Muzecast or Plex, and stream it to your car's Bluetooth.
    Yeah, that's what I'm fixin' to do!

Wouldn't the wireless hard drive need to be plugged into power? And how does the music get from the hard drive to the phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000
    My understanding, I may be wrong, but devices will pair with only one Bluetooth device at a time. So if you're using Bluetooth to broadcast music from the hard drive to the phone, you couldn't simultaneously use Bluetooth to broadcast that to the car stereo. Maybe you were thinking a hard-wired connection on one of those?

If the hard drive is capable of Bluetooth, why use the phone at all?

As an aside, an option I use for high-capacity random-access music in my car is a USB memory stick. A 64Gb stick holds a zillion songs (plus or minus) and it's dead simple to drag them from my hard drive to the memory stick. I have one with about 14 days of British folk rock on it, one with everything the Beatles ever recorded, and I'm considering loading several more. Just bought a 3Tb external HDD ($69! Astonishing!) as a music server.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 12-05-2016 at 05:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Wouldn't the wireless hard drive need to be plugged into power? And how does the music get from the hard drive to the phone?My understanding, I may be wrong, but devices will pair with only one Bluetooth device at a time. So if you're using Bluetooth to broadcast music from the hard drive to the phone, you couldn't simultaneously use Bluetooth to broadcast that to the car stereo. Maybe you were thinking a hard-wired connection on one of those?

If the hard drive is capable of Bluetooth, why use the phone at all?

As an aside, an option I use for high-capacity random-access music in my car is a USB memory stick. A 64Gb stick holds a zillion songs (plus or minus) and it's dead simple to drag them from my hard drive to the memory stick. I have one with about 14 days of British folk rock on it, one with everything the Beatles ever recorded, and I'm considering loading several more. Just bought a 3Tb external HDD ($69! Astonishing!) as a music server.
    Ehhhhhh...I didn't think about the power for the hard drive. The hard drive doesn't do Bluetooth, just sets up it's own wifi cloud or something, and the phone can stream from it.

Maybe this is a little too convoluted... for in the car anyway

Actually, just remembered the hard drive can be plugged into the car's "cigarette lighter" jack for power.

USB sticks have no moving parts, are much more suitable for bumpy rides.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    USB sticks have no moving parts, are much more suitable for bumpy rides.
    Yep. This is what I do. I have about six of 'em, organized by genre, etc.

Yep. This is what I do. I have about six of 'em, organized by genre, etc.
    It is good that you don't mix up the genres while driving. That is known to be a leading cause of fatal car accidents among men ages 45-65.

So does that mean that you have an "eclectic" prog stick?

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    CarPlay (Pioneer App Radio 4) & iPhone here. My entire music library, audio texting, phone calls, and maps through a single interface all voice controlled through Siri. Easy peasy.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Easy peasy is ANYTHING like a car environment, home, business, etc. We all have many, many options for music today in those "safe" environments..

My focus is on the best quality music in the middle of nowhere when my two feet are my transportation. No outlets, no WiFi, no internet.
    And that is why iPods replaced my succession of Walkman cassette players, CD players, and Mini-disc players. My iPods still serve me very well in those areas. The only trick is to buy enough of em'!

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    iPhone is now up to 256GB of space.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Mountain View Post
    It is good that you don't mix up the genres while driving. That is known to be a leading cause of fatal car accidents among men ages 45-65.
    Safety first.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Mountain View Post
    So does that mean that you have an "eclectic" prog stick?
    Umm....yeah.....sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    iPhone is now up to 256GB of space.
    But no headphone jack, right?

It's just as well that I don't have an up-to-date car. If I tried playing USB sticks of my favorite genres my wife would go through the roof. "Come on, there's only another five hundred songs on this stick"
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    It's just as well that I don't have an up-to-date car. If I tried playing USB sticks of my favorite genres my wife would go through the roof. "Come on, there's only another five hundred songs on this stick"
    That's the beauty of being a prog fan - "Come on, there's only another 50 songs on this stick"

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    My Sony Walkman has Bluetooth. I can play it in the car, on my home stereo, on wireless speakers, or any compatible device. Works beautifully (although it's only on the home stereo that I can properly enjoy the hi-res audio - FLAC, WAV, etc.) I know you're asking about terabyte capacity, which obviously it doesn't have, but 192 gigs is pretty good.
    Which one do you have? The NWZ-A17? I am in the market......
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."