Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED CD - Neal Morse : Testimony

FEATURED CD - Neal Morse : Testimony

This is a thread about MUSIC, not about your or the artist's views on religion.

Per SoT Dude - at SoT :
    Neal Morse's first album since leaving Spock's Beard in late 2002 is quite frankly a shocker. Not a shocker in a bad way, no, not by any means. See, Neal left Spock's Beard to pursue his Christian "calling", and at the time he was unsure exactly what that would entail, and I'm sure many of his fans were a bit skeptical as well. After spinning his new CD Testimony a few times, I can safely tell you that Neal has not walked away from progressive rock. No, this new CD is as full of catchy, symphonic, aggressive, complex, and melodic prog rock as any of the recent Spock's Beard releases.

Testimony basically tells Mr. Morse's story, his new beginning in life. It's a poignant tale, one of hope and fear, but ultimately of one person's search for the allmighty, finding it, and rejoicing in the glory that this discovery has brought into his existence. Yes, the lyrics here are very religious in nature, but if you can appreciate this from a storytelling perspective, it does not come across as preaching at all. Musically, there are parts that are just as bombastic as anything Morse did with Spock's Beard, as rippling synths, organ, Mellotron, crunchy guitars, and a tight rhythm section are just some of the many nuances to this fine CD. Dream Theater's Mike Portnoy guests on drums, which helps kick up the aggression a bit, Kerry Livgren from Kansas guests on some guitar, and members of the Nashville Symphony Orchestra add a nice symphonic and classical edge to some of the songs. Neal's voice in is fine form throughout, yet he seems to have a bit more passion this time around, perhaps to the renewed happiness that he is enjoying these days.

One of 2003's biggest surprises? It actually shouldn't be considering this musicians past history. We all can breathe a sigh of relief that Neal Morse has chosen not to leave the world of prog. He's just chosen to approach it with a different slant, based on his new lease on life. Highly recommended!

Reviewer: Pete Pardo
    Score: 4.5 Stars
    http://www.seaoftranquility.org/revi...content&id=906

Regards,

Duncan

I know "Testimony" is a 2-disc release, but for me it's not. I absolutely love Disc 2, but dismissed Disc 1 long ago. I'm glad at least he put all the stuff I like on one disc, and all the stuff I don't on another.

I never cared for SB much, but I recently got Morse's album One and it is very good... I wonder if this one will be worth getting? How does it compare to the awesomeness of One?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Musically, I think this is Neal's best album (overall) so far. I would say that there are some tracks from his other albums(The Creation, The Door) that are better than anything on this, but this album displays his mastery of musical themes, moods, energy, and storytelling flow. You will find many different moods here. You WON'T find a single, because it is all recorded to flow together as a concept album.
    If you rip this album (to digital files), I highly recommend that you note that the songs have groupings and that you rip them as one file group by group. That way you can hear them the way the CD plays.
    One thing I really love about this album is the use of a pretty large variety of instruments. I love the electric cello parts and violin parts.

Just how "preachy" is this one? I don't mind spiritual lyrics like on "Snow" or "One" (two albums I've been getting decent mileage out of lately), but if this slips into the area of proselytizing then I won't bother.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

His best solo album by far!!!!!

I agree. A great album, full of genuine passion. Nothing else he's done has quite measured up.

This was an album that would have been better off as one CD. It just goes on for way too long.

One of my favorite solo albums by him. Pretty much tells his story of how he got to where he was in his life at the time.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    I think Neal's most recent (prog) album "Momentum" is thus far his best, but I have been (as is my wife) an ardent fan since the SB days. This is a strong release in what has been a string of wonderful symphonic prog albums. Compositionally, I can't think of a stronger or more consistent artist in modern prog. And if you have heard any of Neal's Transatlantic demos, you know that he's responsible for a lion's share of those wonderful melodies as well.

BTW, the book's on sale this week at Radiant. Haven't read it, but I would imagine the album is "better than the book"!

Just can't begin to get into this at all. It's super sweet and sugary with a coating of frosting covered fried sugar.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

As good as this is, I think One and ? are his best solo albums.

I prefer "?" and "Sola Scriptura" to this one by a good margin, but it's a pretty good album. The thing I like most is the somewhat different instrumentation and the almost "jammy" nature of some of the instrumental breaks. A bit different than most everything else he has done (though not so different that people who aren't fond of his stuff would like it). It is quite long, but well constructed and recorded. Not my favorite, but still pretty good.

sounds like I should get ? next
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

It's decent, but Portnoy's drums, especially the snare, sound way too "thick." This may have been the first cd w drums recorded at Neal's home studio, so that may explain the drum sound. Anyway, can only handle so much before the drum sound ruins all for me. YMMV.

A good album, but I think he got better with the following release One and continued to improve from there, despite steadily increasing how much he relied on his 'formula', both musically and lyrically. This album does contain one of my favourite Neal songs, "Somber Days".

The clip shown in the OP is from Testimony 2, BTW.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

It's long! Maybe too much of a good thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post

The clip shown in the OP is from Testimony 2, BTW.
    And what a track it is. One on my faves. Steve Morses' guitar solo is pure bliss for the ears.

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    BTW, the book's on sale this week at Radiant. Haven't read it, but I would imagine the album is "better than the book"!
    I read his book a few years ago and really enjoyed it. It is a little bit preachy in spots (reminded me a lot of Kerry Livegren’s book years ago), but gives a bit more perspective on his history and life before and after The Beard. Considering how many years he slogged around the southern California cover band circuit (almost “making it” several times) it is kind of an amazing story how Spock’s Beard finally took off.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    My suggestion to anyone who has trouble with the lyrics from any Neal Morse album is to just let the words push you toward the side of evil, and just enjoy the music.

This album is much more "song"-oriented than his other albums. Some of the tunes are not perfections, but Neal's toss-offs are better than a lot of people's best. That being said, I love this album and it gets played pretty consistently. "I Am Willing" is a killer tune no matter how often I listen to it; ditto "Land of Beginning Again". He sings with a passion unmatched in prior or subsequent works and that makes all the difference for me.

While there are brilliant moments on all the releases of his that I've heard, ONE being the best of those, I find the 'formula' wearing incredibly thin. This album in particular ended up in the trade pile a year or so after I bought it. But he is one talented soldier of God, I'll give him that.
    "The Bill of Rights says nothing about the freedom of hearing. This, of course, takes a lot of the fun out of the freedom of speech." - Pat Paulsen

My Art- http://www.facebook.com/williamallenrenfro -My Life

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    This is a thread about MUSIC, not about your or the artist's views on religion.
    Hey, he's the one who made those inextricable.

Listening to the sample, Morse has a nice enough formula that works in general. He may not have a lot of varying ideas, but the ideas he has are always tasty. There's no reason it couldn't have been SB apart from his viewpoint making his message "personal." But I'm glad he's doing what he loves, because Christian music could probably do with a steady dose of his muse.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

My album of the year in '03 and his best to date (imho). Neal, Mike, and Randy possess an almost otherworldly chemistry.
    'The smell of strange colours are heard everywhere'- Threshold