Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FEATURED CD - Neal Morse : Testimony

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Noted!

EDIT: I should have figured it would be a CD/DVD boxset set. I'm interesting in just DVD or Blu-Ray alone.
    You would have to get one of his earlier ones then. Testimony Live or Sola Scriptura Live.

Get the Momentum Blu-Ray even though it's packaged with CDs. Only $19.99 at Radiant Records.

Also they have Testimony 2 Live in LA for only $7.99!! 5 disc set. You'll get the awesome Separated Man & Seeds of Gold. Two of Neal's best epic tracks. Well worth it.
    Last edited by Man In The Mountain; 09-12-2014 at 12:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post

Get the Momentum Blu-Ray even though it's packaged with CDs. Only $19.99 at Radiant Records.
    at that price I may just take the plunge. Thanks!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    NOTE: I'm not interested in attending church.
    Just spread the love brother Yves.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Also they have Testimony 2 Live in LA for only $7.99!! 5 disc set. You'll get the awesome Separated Man & Seeds of Gold. Two of Neal's best epic tracks. Well worth it.
    Wow, I just jumped on that one! It kind of slipped by me at the time it was released but that's quite a steal of a deal.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Wow, I just jumped on that one! It kind of slipped by me at the time it was released but that's quite a steal of a deal.
    This is, without a doubt, my favourite live Morse set (as a solo artist...Transatlantic excluded of course as, barring Flower Kings' first few records, I don't think anything anyone in TA has, with their own projects, trumped that group's overall discography; truly a rare but real case of the whole being greater than the sum of the parts, IMO)....

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    There are parts I really enjoy from Testimony, but it's all wrapped up in this 'continuous track' concept that the songs don't really stand alone. And the sheer length of some of the albums (120-150 minutes) is just not realistic to digest.
    I disagree with this. I think that most of the tracks off Testimony could stand very well on their own, apart from a few instrumental interludes. Sure, as a concept album is has many recurring themes but I don't hear 5 continuous tracks on this album. IMO, the 5 "parts" don't really work as 5 big epics. I couldn't compare them with those big Transatlantic epics which are often a bit bloated, but have very few sections that could really stand on their own as short songs.

I think the 5 "parts" only represent 5 chapters or phases in Morse's life. They actually help you know where to pause if you can't listen to the album in one sitting (which I agree is unrealistic).
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    I've never heard about this defect, maybe others can report about it. There's a track at the end of Disc 1 (It's all I can do) that has a click track that sounds a bit like a demo, but it seems deliberate to me.
    I probably should've kept the disk, but it just bothered the hell out of me mainly on principle. I never thought it was deliberate, I just thought they shipped a bad batch of CDs.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I probably should've kept the disk, but it just bothered the hell out of me mainly on principle. I never thought it was deliberate, I just thought they shipped a bad batch of CDs.
    There definitely was a bad batch of disc 1 CDs, when it was first released. You had to write to Radiant Records to get a replacement disc. I still have both the defective disc & the good disc. I can't recall what the defect was, but a clicking noise sounds familiar.

I think he pushed the time limit of the disc, nearly 80 minutes. And it caused problems in production.

I never realized I could get the disc replaced. Mine is clicky near the end of the last track.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    I disagree with this. I think that most of the tracks off Testimony could stand very well on their own, apart from a few instrumental interludes.
    You might have misunderstood what I meant. They "could" stand alone, but they don't because they are not actually physically self-contained songs. I mean, I realize it's essentially a pet peeve of mine, but I find it unsatisfying to listen to part of Garden of Dreams or part of Testimony or part of Whirlwind because all the songs were blended together into the epic piece.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I loved Spock's Beard back in the Neal days, but I was seriously underwhelmed by Snow. Testimony came out and sounded to me like more of the same, only with more overt religion. I found One to be a nice return to form, musically, but I kind of burned out around the time of Sola Scriptura. I can only listen to so much of the same subject matter over and over. Don't think I've heard any of his solo Christian albums since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    I loved Spock's Beard back in the Neal days, but I was seriously underwhelmed by Snow.
    Totally with you. Even without knowing he'd become a Christian, I felt like Snow was pretty samey from beginning to end, and almost lost interest in SB altogether until Neal's leaving piqued my interest in what they could do without him. Once I found Morse was returning to music with the same SB-styled stuff with overtly Christian themes, I avoided it altogether.

Be that as it may, I do like what he's contributed to other projects. Flying Colors is really nice, Transatlantic's Kaleidoscope is decent and his two co-written songs on SB's latest are fantastic. As for the lyrics, if I can mentally transform it into a straightforward romantic love song, I can cope with it.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)