Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mike + The Mechanics Tour 2014

They are playing the local music hall here this upcoming Sunday - advertised as 'with Daryl Stuermer'

http://www.middletownpress.com/arts-...-hall-Hartford
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

M&M should have opened for Hackett on the Revisited tour

Quote Originally Posted by bigbassdrum View Post
    They are playing the local music hall here this upcoming Sunday - advertised as 'with Daryl Stuermer'

http://www.middletownpress.com/arts-...-hall-Hartford
    Poor Daryl was a tad embarassed last night, he said when Mike phoned him up to open he asked if he wanted his band, was told "just you." Had to play solo accompanied by his MacBook. He mentioned it more than once so I figured he wasn't exactly thrilled to be out there in that form, played only 4 songs I think. M & M was fine, played a nice selection of their hits, prog it ain't but it's always nice to see a founding member of Genesis strut his stuff, and Mike switched off on bass and guitar throughout the evening. Funny, they did one of the black singer's songs (there are 2 in the band), and Mike seemed more into that than his own stuff. As a lapsed bass player I noticed the bass lines for most of the M & M's stuff were cake, not like some of the intricate stuff Mike played with Genesis, to be expected I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    Poor Daryl was a tad embarassed last night, he said when Mike phoned him up to open he asked if he wanted his band, was told "just you." Had to play solo accompanied by his MacBook. He mentioned it more than once so I figured he wasn't exactly thrilled to be out there in that form, played only 4 songs I think. M & M was fine, played a nice selection of their hits, prog it ain't but it's always nice to see a founding member of Genesis strut his stuff, and Mike switched off on bass and guitar throughout the evening. Funny, they did one of the black singer's songs (there are 2 in the band), and Mike seemed more into that than his own stuff. As a lapsed bass player I noticed the bass lines for most of the M & M's stuff were cake, not like some of the intricate stuff Mike played with Genesis, to be expected I suppose.
    Where did you read this? Do you have any pics of the band to share?

Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    Poor Daryl was a tad embarassed last night, he said when Mike phoned him up to open he asked if he wanted his band, was told "just you." Had to play solo accompanied by his MacBook. He mentioned it more than once so I figured he wasn't exactly thrilled to be out there in that form, played only 4 songs I think.
    Only four songs?? Why even bother?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I saw some of it on YouTube and the band sounded good but not my cup of tea---did some 80's and 90's Genesis---what you would expect.

WeatherWiseCDC
    ... still waiting.

MATM are getting great reviews in the US especially considering they've been MIA from touring here!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Only four songs?? Why even bother?
    He does five songs (last night at least) and they're all fairly long so it's about a 35 minute set. (Three songs from his solo albums, two covers you'll recognize, neither by Genesis).

Here's DS' set- http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/daryl-...-33cb80fd.html
    Regarding opener, first cover...are you effing kidding me, lol??!! Out of everything?!! Here's his setlist from the last solo show he did.
    http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/daryl-...i-bd8c966.html
    Solo set?! Are you effing kidding me??!! I would've rather heard his actual (most excellent) solo material though either time.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

There's a letter sent in by a fan in the latest Prog Magazine after he recently saw Mike & The Mechanics. He told Mike he was a big fan of the early stuff to which Mike replied-"I don't listen to that shit anymore"!!!