Page 1 of 39 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: **** SPOILERS KING CRIMSON 9/8/14 ****

**** SPOILERS KING CRIMSON 9/8/14 ****

As promised...this was a friends and family show i was invited to, there are major spoilers below V

You still with me?

Going to be hard to take in all of the events that just transpired but...this is going to be a band that will develop as they go along...some sounds were not quite there, the drums are very hard to mix, it's a sparse lighter LISTEN PEOPLE LISTEN affair, Belew's solos are covered by Collins, Fripp wasn't up to snuff/sounds of his were a little less powerful/he was seen to be dejected and stared at the crowd often (whether to gauge reactions or waiting for a flash??...he also came out into the audience after the show and was cordially shaking hands until some asshat proffered something for him to sign)...gahh...so, here's the full set - also Pat and Tony said they held back a few too:

a round-table interview conducted by Fripp asking the band members their thoughts on filming/recording
    throughout there are intro clips triggered by Pat
    LTIA I
    Pictures Of A City
    Scarcity of Miracles
    ConstruKction Of Light (no vocal part but briefly started)
    One More Red Nightmare
    Trio (Jakko Collins Levin Improv) --> Drum (video previously posted on DGM)
    Red
    The Letters
    Level 5
    Drums (gamelan)
    Sailor's Tale
    Light Of Day
    Talking Drum --> LTIA II
    Starless

E:

Bill Rieflin Conducted Improv
    21st Century Schizoid Man
    Last edited by Haruspex Carnage; 09-10-2014 at 07:00 PM.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    OMG why didn't you warn us about spoilers

Look at the title of the post?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Nice - Surprised by Scarcity Of Miracles & Level 5
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

It should have been in inch-high letters in blinking red.

Kidding aside, thanks for the info. T-minus 8 days and counting.

edit: I wonder if they're sticking with the same setlist throughout the tour. I'm kind of sick of Red. They played Larks 1,2 and 5. WOOOOOOO! Where's 3 & 4?
    Last edited by Dave (in MA); 09-08-2014 at 10:47 PM.

Tell us more!

That is a sweet set! I would have dug Indiscipline but that's about it. Who's singing this stuff?

Kinda surprised they didn't play anything from Lizard...I was hoping they'd resurrect that super slow version of Cirkus the '71 band used to perform
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Who's singing this stuff?

The guy in the middle.

Ah, right...

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Sweet.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Dumb Question....I thought the tour started tonight, No???

Wow! Some definite surprises there, but looks like a pretty good mix. Bonus points to anybody who had The Letters or Trio in their setlist pool. I presume everyone was on stage at all times, but I will definitely be interested to how the different drummers integrate. Were the arrangements relatively close to the originals or was anything radically reinterpreted? Hate I'm not going to get to see this tour but looking forward to reading all the reviews.

Looks awesome, but I'm surprised there's nothing *new* there..
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

2 from Scarcity of Miracles, that is Fripp's newest other than the duet with Theo Travis. From 2011. Drummers might leave the stage for "The Light of Day" since that is a spacey piece with little or no percussion.

What a great setlist, never thought I'd be lucky enough to hear this stuff live. Wondering how long the show will be and if there will be an intermission.

I had a suspicion about The Letters - since Mel Collins was spotted with a baritone sax. Pretty cool setlist. I would've bet on Fomentera Lady and Cirkus, but I'm okay with what those being left off. I figured there would be a lot of drum heavy stuff, so a lack of B'Boom-> THRAK is a bit of a headscratcher.

I wouldn't be surprised is some of these concerts start showing up at dgmlive soon - since I'm sure bootlegs will be popping up

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    Looks awesome, but I'm surprised there's nothing *new* there..
    As I said, that Fripp kept going on about how, "A guiding King Crimson principle is the music is new whenever it was written. So it's all new music." was a clue that there wasn't going to be any actual new music.

The set is close-ish to what many of us expected: a lot of it is 'greatest hits' stuff, so there's a majority of the albums Larks' Tongues in Aspic and Red, plus "21st Century Schizoid Man". "Pictures of a City" is there representing In the Wake of Poseidon: perhaps Jakszyk's choice given he covered it on The Bruised Romantic Glee Club? With Collins in the band, perhaps not surprising we get 2 songs from Islands, an album Fripp also seems to have much affection for. There's a smattering of 2000+ material, which fits with a band including Levin, Mastelotto and Harrison.

I am surprised that they included A Scarcity of Miracles material, although it makes sense. But the biggest surprise for me is the omission (at least, so far) of anything from Discipline through to THRAK, material that was a big part of the Crimson story, material that Levin and Mastelotto have been playing very recently in the Crimson ProjeKct and material that the 2008 band played. Fripp hasn't merely left Belew out of the band: he's largely removed his music from the set.

(It's interesting to compare the set list on the Crimson ProjeKct's Live in Tokyo to this set list, with only "LTiA2" and "Red" in common. It's like the minimum overlap between ABWH's An Evening of Yes Music Plus and the Big Generator tour set!)

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Dumb Question....I thought the tour started tonight, No???
    The above was from a warm-up "friends & family" show; no tickets on sale. The tour proper starts tonight.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Thanks for sharing! Absolutely cannot wait for two weeks from today!

Saturday night, I can't wait!

Can't wait for Friday night!

Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    2 from Scarcity of Miracles, that is Fripp's newest other than the duet with Theo Travis. From 2011. Drummers might leave the stage for "The Light of Day" since that is a spacey piece with little or no percussion.

What a great setlist, never thought I'd be lucky enough to hear this stuff live. Wondering how long the show will be and if there will be an intermission.
    No drummers left either...some simply just did not play...or added very minimalistic hits...in general when they're not rocking out to some of the heavier songs this IS a much lighter affair which WILL NOT go over well with anyone expecting the maximalist/recently "metal" sounding side to the post double-trio bands...i'm VERY curious to see how audiences treat this as there are many dead air moments.

After LTIA I everyone was either stunned or didn't even clap...it was sort of unnerving.

I think this change was predicted some time ago. I recall saying how tiring the "guitar cyborg" thing was getting with Ade and how the textural palette needed to change. An addition of woodwinds was suggested.

And here you have it.

Pure coincidence, but it's cool to see I wasn't the only one that felt that was a good direction to head in.

i've felt that myself but the band last night although having insane potential still felt like they were finding their legs sonically and thematically...still awesome to see but with time this could be even more something!

Tony at the camp was most forthcoming when he said it was a bit more jazzy and it is...albeit of a freer/looser sort.

And, with Fripp absolved from all legal wrangles, let's hope this continues! Very interested to see where/how it goes for all NYC shows i'm catching too.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Looking forward to Boston Monday night.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Was Fripp visible or hidden behind a drum kit / looping rig?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.