Thread: Battles

Battles

Anyone listen to these guys? I guess they might skirt the edge of 90s Indy with some prog elements thrown across it. I dig them so far.

I've been listening to Mirrors. I havent tried out Glass Drop yet.

stick to the first one. “gloss drop” was much hyped, but i find it completely irritating. however, “my machines”, feat. gary numan totally and devastatingly rocks.

I do like them, particularly Mirrored but I kinda felt their technique, as impressive as it is, overshadowed the actual composition a little. Always lovely to watch live, though, because of HOW they make that sound.

Ian Williams's (Battles guitarist) former band, Don Caballero on the other hand have his singularly remarkable technique and the tunes to match. If you dig Battles, check out the albums What Burns Never Returns and American Don. On top of that drummer Damon Che is one if the greats.

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    I do like them, particularly Mirrored but I kinda felt their technique, as impressive as it is, overshadowed the actual composition a little. Always lovely to watch live, though, because of HOW they make that sound.

Ian Williams's (Battles guitarist) former band, Don Caballero on the other hand have his singularly remarkable technique and the tunes to match. If you dig Battles, check out the albums What Burns Never Returns and American Don. On top of that drummer Damon Che is one if the greats.
    I agree with absolutely all of this; Don Cab was one of THE truly interesting contemporary (and death-defyingly progressive) rock bands to come out of the millennium shift. Battles are good, but somewhat overhyped; the real jewel of their circuit was Tyondai Braxton's solo outing after having left the band, Central Market.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Since we're blowing smoke up each other's asses I have to agree too. Central Market is amazing.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    "Gloss Drop" is a very good album.
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    "Gloss Drop" is a very good album.
    Yeah, I think both albums were very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I agree with absolutely all of this; Don Cab was one of THE truly interesting contemporary (and death-defyingly progressive) rock bands to come out of the millennium shift. Battles are good, but somewhat overhyped; the real jewel of their circuit was Tyondai Braxton's solo outing after having left the band, Central Market.
    I went from Mirrored to Central Market following Tyondai and he does not disappoint.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Mirrored is pretty sweet at times.

Gloss Drop? meh..

I'd suggest listening to Adebisi Shank instead of Gloss Drop. Tyondai Braxton's presence was sadly missed on Gloss Drop. However, he actually has worked-with or at least gigged and helped promote Fjokra at least, even if he's not working with Battles anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    Gloss Drop? meh..

I'd suggest listening to Adebisi Shank instead of Gloss Drop. Tyondai Braxton's presence was sadly missed on Gloss Drop.
    I agree he is missed on GD and also second the rec for Adebisi Shank. GD has too many guest vocalists who are not a great replacement for Tyondai.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    A pass for me.

Don Cab is excellent though.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

I found Mirrored to be great in spots but maybe a little inconsistent as a whole. Gloss Drop is (IMO) more fun and loose and I feel the playing is better. The Numan and Yamataka Eye spots absolutely rule.
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com