Thread: Nine Inch Nails

Nine Inch Nails

I picked up The Fragile based on comments that it was a favourite of Steven Wilson's.

It's slowly growing on me, although some of it can be a little overwhelming in places.

Has anyone else tried this band, and any suggestions which albums I try next?

I am a big fan of Ghosts I-IV. Not quite like their other stuff, more like Reznor's soundtrack work. But features Belew, and is all instrumental.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I am a big fan of Ghosts I-IV. Not quite like their other stuff, more like Reznor's soundtrack work. But features Belew, and is all instrumental.
    I would definitely second that recommendation.
    What did you like about The Fragile, and what did you not like as much?
    That information could help in other suggestions.

Thanks Guys.

My instinct was to try Ghosts next.

I liked most of The Fragile - I liked the ambient interludes, the pounding rockers, and the electronica which reminded me a lot of Porcupine Tree (eg Sleep Together).It's a lot to take in as a double album which is why I'm slowly growing into it. I've had it for months and didn't like it on first spin, but I've recently taken to darker stuff again ("Winter is coming") and this seemed an interesting side road as I travel down the metal motorway.

The only thing I wasn't too keen on was the screaming, but it was tolerable compared to the likes of Messhuggah etc, and it wouldn't put me off buying other NIN releases.

I was intrigued by the authorised 'Definitive Editions' (singles, heavy, deep cuts and quiet) but they're download only from torrent sites (which is a no-no for me), and 100 or so tracks might be jumping in at the very deep end without a lifebelt.

I've heard Pretty Hate Machine through With Teeth, though I lasted about 3 songs on PHM. There's something I like on most of those albums, but after reading/hearing all the high praise of Reznor's music, I was left wondering what all the fuss was about. I much prefer NWW or Coil. also liked the first Celldweller album & some Laibach.

Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    Thanks Guys.

My instinct was to try Ghosts next.

I liked most of The Fragile - I liked the ambient interludes, the pounding rockers, and the electronica which reminded me a lot of Porcupine Tree (eg Sleep Together).It's a lot to take in as a double album which is why I'm slowly growing into it. I've had it for months and didn't like it on first spin, but I've recently taken to darker stuff again ("Winter is coming") and this seemed an interesting side road as I travel down the metal motorway.

The only thing I wasn't too keen on was the screaming, but it was tolerable compared to the likes of Messhuggah etc, and it wouldn't put me off buying other NIN releases.

I was intrigued by the authorised 'Definitive Editions' (singles, heavy, deep cuts and quiet) but they're download only from torrent sites (which is a no-no for me), and 100 or so tracks might be jumping in at the very deep end without a lifebelt.
    You might step backwards one album from The Fragile and check out The Downward Spiral as well. While it might be as diverse, it is the closest in feel overall to me.

Thanks - that was the other one I was dithering over. I listened to the opening track on Youtube but wasn't sure.

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    Although I adore The Fragile, and I like most of Ghosts, none of the other material from NIN has resonated with me, to be honest.

Hope that long overdue 5.1 will come soon.