Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Neu!

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    As a grad student in the 90s in Ann Arbor, I used to hang out sometimes at a couple of the CD stores. Most of the hipsters who worked at those places loved Neu! along with Kraftwerk, Can and AD. So, for at least a period of time, Neu! was very much a hip and trendy band in a way that little else in prog has ever been since the 70s. Maybe still now?
    Yep, Krautrock, and especially Neu! and Can are still in with the hipsters and any of the rest of the "since I like it, it must not be prog" crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Pr33t View Post
    Yep, Krautrock, and especially Neu! and Can are still in with the hipsters and any of the rest of the "since I like it, it must not be prog" crowd.

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Holy shit - I thought this was news of a 50CD box, I mean if Al Stewart merits one then surely Neu!…..No such luck, just the same old albums plus a tribute album.

Today, wife and I dug their debut while barbequing

The first one is amazing. A lot of people seem to complain about Dinger’s weird singing on the last track, but don’t let that put you off. Neu! 75 is an interesting release with a split-personality; Side 1 starts off with a cute synth-etude and gets gradually more ambient and blissful as it continues. The flip is mostly proto-punk, but it’s held back a bit by “E-Musik,” which feels like a re-tread of “Hallogallo” (with a bunch of Dieter Dierks-style phase-shifting to try and throw you off the scent).

I kind of like the second album, too, even the goofy flip side with the 16 and 78 RPM *ahem!* “remixes.” “Super 16” was the villain music from Master of Flying Guillotine, later blatantly stolen by [hack filmmaker I can’t bring myself to name].

Do not ignore La Düsseldorf! Their debut is, for me, a Krautrock classic! Love Individuellos to bits, too, probably their most underrated disc. I don’t enjoy Viva quite as much, but if you like them you’ll want it too. “Rheinita” definitely needs to be in your life.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Already have the four albums AND a tribute album from the 90's that wasn't very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Do not ignore La Düsseldorf! Their debut is, for me, a Krautrock classic! Love Individuellos to bits, too, probably their most underrated disc. I don’t enjoy Viva quite as much, but if you like them you’ll want it too. “Rheinita” definitely needs to be in your life.
    +1
    Completely agree, fantastic album.

As for the Box, it's really product to celebrate 50 years. The remix album, I mean, Hallo Gallo is perfect, why mess with it? Unenviable task.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post

Tried numerous times over a good number of years, and for me, La Düsseldorf, while not ‘bad’, imo, is a pale shadow of the greatness of Neu!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I used to have the first album, and I still have "Viva", but I agree they're not as good as Neu (or Rother's first few solo albums).

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Tried numerous times over a good number of years, and for me, La Düsseldorf, while not ‘bad’, imo, is a pale shadow of the greatness of Neu!
    I share the same opinion. Overrated during the hipster years of krautrock rediscovery. Earlier, they weren't considered a big deal among the aficionados of the style.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I've been spinning Neu! And Flammende Herzen this week....love love the vibe.

I picked up their 70s cds after a Bowie phase when I was following the influences on his 'Berlin' period, as you do.
    'I would advise stilts for the quagmires"

I like the first 2 La Dusseldorfs a lot. diminishing returns from there but there's an album called Blue that I really like - it was supposed to come out in 1986 but drew no label interest so it was released a decade later under the very confusing name La! Neu?

Flammende Herzen is great, of course. his albums get breezier and perhaps a bit more boring from there. still worth checking out the first 4 or so at least. his recent one was surprisingly good too.

IMO the real gem in the extended Neuniverse is Harmonia. Deluxe would probably appeal more to those who were big into Neu! but both albums are incredible.
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com