Thread: Chicago - The Studio Albums 1969-1978

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar

Chicago - The Studio Albums 1969-1978

On the old PE we had an interesting discussion about Chicago, asking around what's worth it, and what's not. Bottom line seemed to be everything up untill X or XI is worth the time, with declining quality overall, and with the first 4 being the best.

So a few weeks ago, I was happy to discover this was just been released and I grabbed it:

61Ksjdpg1bL.jpg

It contains The Chicago Transit Authority, II, III, V, VI, VII, VIII, X, XI and Hot Streets. So far I've dealt with the first 3 and V, all of which I consider masterpieces, and Hot Streets, which isn't that bad either.

At about 30 euros this is a bargain! The liner notes are obsolete though, with all the albums coming in simple but effective minisleeves, but the boxset itself is really neat.

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    That was a quick move to OT! Still I think it should be at the main. First six albums are very progressive!

I never went beyond the 8th album. I was disappointed with albums 6 and 8 and I started losing my patience with them. But yeah, those first 3 albums and the 5th album are all great albums. The heavy jazz and classical overtones were outstanding.

of those first 7 (never got 8 or after), faves are CTA, V, VII. never liked III or VI that much. VII is probably my overall favorite.
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

Never went past V.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Looks like a nice, inexpensive way for someone to dive in to the early material. III has always been my favorite, but I don't think you can go wrong with any of the first seven. After that it starts to get a little patchy.

i never went past IV myself but did pick up V after hearing a "hit for varese" on the radio. the chicago transist authority is imo one of the great rock debuts with its variety and diversity along with a hit or two.
    Last edited by yogibear; 12-14-2012 at 11:14 AM.

Wow, if this is available in the states I might pick it up. I lived and breathed this stuff in my youth but never updated to CDs.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

I got this too on the 15% off sale. So like $30 for all the studio albums of the 70's just about. Good deal. I had the boxed set Family Portrait but I'll probably give that to my Mom now!

CDWOW.us for my American cohorts. Ships from Hong Kong, takes a little while but it's a great site I've got stuff from for years so you're ok ordering from there. Wait for a sale. They happen all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I never went beyond the 8th album. I was disappointed with albums 6 and 8 and I started losing my patience with them. But yeah, those first 3 albums and the 5th album are all great albums. The heavy jazz and classical overtones were outstanding.
    Yup, that's how I feel, though the first disc of 7 is probably the best they've ever done... too bad the second disc is more 6-like...

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Never went past V.
    spyros, if you can find 7 in vinyl with that waffled leather-like artwork, the first disc is astoundingly good
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Yup, that's how I feel, though the first disc of 7 is probably the best they've ever done... too bad the second disc is more 6-like...
    Yeah, after the disappointment of Chicago 6 I was delighted with album 7. But as you say, the first disk is the better of the 2 disks. But it was their way of saying goodbye to jazz/rock and embracing pop/rock, and corny love ballads. Disk 2 has some good songs but the big hit off that album was a cheesie, Pete Cetera-sung, ballad. This was the way were headed and it made me gag. I gave album 8 a try. Some good songs but overall pop/rock crap. My taste in music was changing anyway, so I just gave up on Chicago and I'm glad I never looked back.

Yeah, after the disappointment of Chicago 6 I was delighted with album 7. But as you say, the first disk is the better of the 2 disks. But it was their way of saying goodbye to jazz/rock and embracing pop/rock, and corny love ballads. Disk 2 has some good songs but the big hit off that album was a cheesie, Pete Cetera-sung, ballad. This was the way were headed and it made me gag. I gave album 8 a try. Some good songs but overall pop/rock crap. My taste in music was changing anyway, so I just gave up on Chicago and I'm glad I never looked back.
    To echo in another thread of two weeks ago, this is the only disc of theirs in the first 8 albums that was really jazz-rock... The rest is brass-rock
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

^ Oh c'mon. Not that again. We get into these discussions about genre labels all the time. Those labels were never set in stone back in the days. To me Chicago and Blood Sweat & Tears were jazz/rock. Call it horn/rock or whatever. I remember the term jazz/rock. Fusion was another animal.

That's a great price for the Chicago studio albums with Terry Kath. FWIW, VII is my favorite. Used to play "Italian from New York" over and over. It has a little bit of everything but it does show a band moving in different directions. The first album is jazz/rock heaven with the 2nd album giving everyone a chance to shine while moving towards pop/rock.

Banned
    What do people think of VIII? I've seen it at Barnes & Nobles a few times, but never picked it up. Not getting the boxset in question; too expensive. Plus, it's an import. This should be stateside for a cheaper price.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    What do people think of VIII? .
    It's been 30 or more years since I've heard the album from beginning to end. I remember not really liking it, but I also remember a coupld of tracks that stood out, "Hideaway" and "Thank You Great Spirit." This album pretty much sealed the deal as far as "jazz" being any part of the Chicago sound. It rocked hard in spots, and it was total, cornball horn/pop (I won't even call it "horn/rock" a term I despise ) in other spots (and probably a sappy, corny ballad to boot. JIF, something tells me you probably might like it. I was a young man of 15-16 at the time when I bought it and I was really disappointed with it. I seem to have never forgotten a review I'd read about the album in a magazine. I remember how the author of the review kept praising the new Chicago album as being a "Rock & Roll album without any hints of jazz" or words to that effect. Makes me wanna puke.

Banned
    It's been 30 or more years since I've heard the album from beginning to end. I remember not really liking it, but I also remember a coupld of tracks that stood out, "Hideaway" and "Thank You Great Spirit." This album pretty much sealed the deal as far as "jazz" being any part of the Chicago sound. It rocked hard in spots, and it was total, cornball horn/pop (I won't even call it "horn/rock" a term I despise ) in other spots (and probably a sappy, corny ballad to boot. JIF, something tells me you probably might like it. I was a young man of 15-16 at the time when I bought it and I was really disappointed with it. I seem to have never forgotten a review I'd read about the album in a magazine. I remember how the author of the review kept praising the new Chicago album as being a "Rock & Roll album without any hints of jazz" or words to that effect. Makes me wanna puke.
    Well, is it as bad as their '80s stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Well, is it as bad as their '80s stuff?
    Certainly not, if memory serves (been a long time as well

If 8 is certazinly not as good as 5, it's about the equivalent of 6 (which was their worse album so far >> more like BS&T).... but after the high hopes sent out after 7, 8 was very disappointing

VIII is the one where they tried to sound like other guys/bands on many tracks- Hideaway is almost a pure cop in Mississippi Queen, Harry Truman sounds like Randy Newman (hey, that rhymes!), another tune sounds exactly like Joe Walsh singing it, Great Spirit is obviously a Hendrix pastiche. The rest though is some really good Chicago and worth it. Ain't It Blue, Brand New Love Affair, Old Days, Never Been In Love- all classic tracks. The soundalike tracks grew on me, they aren't bad at all, just not very Chicago sounding. I'd get it. Any 70s Chi beats any 80s by a WIDE margin.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    VIII is the one where they tried to sound like other guys/bands on many tracks- Hideaway is almost a pure cop in Mississippi Queen, Harry Truman sounds like Randy Newman (hey, that rhymes!), another tune sounds exactly like Joe Walsh singing it, Great Spirit is obviously a Hendrix pastiche. The rest though is some really good Chicago and worth it. Ain't It Blue, Brand New Love Affair, Old Days, Never Been In Love- all classic tracks. The soundalike tracks grew on me, they aren't bad at all, just not very Chicago sounding. I'd get it. Any 70s Chi beats any 80s by a WIDE margin.
    Damn, wish I would've seen this post earlier; I was at Barnes & Noble.