Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Most Distinctive Prog Guitarists?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Frank Usher (worked with Fish)

Jerry Garcia (he IS prog)

How about John Goodsall, He always impressed me.

But is he a distinct 'prog' guitarist?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Sampaio Barbosa View Post
    Radim Hladík
    One of the most powerful and self-assured electric guitar players I EVER heard! How could I possibly have forgotten him...? He was like the Peter Green of progressive rock; perfect technique yet highly economical at that, still insanely emotional and impulsively charged in everything he plays. His work on the final three M. Efekt records is absolutely mesmerizing.

"Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Andy Dalby
    Tweke Lewis
    Ricky Gardiner
    Hackett
    Halsall
    Hillage
    Gerd O. Kuhn

Just realized I should have also included Peter Banks, R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Holdsworth is the most "distinctive" prog guitarist because, no matter what song he's playing or which band he's with, he ALWAYS plays the same solo.
    Nah, you must be thinking of Hackett or Lifeson. Holdsworth is an improviser.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    Phil Miller was mentioned --- he is to me - very distinct.

Zappa will always be my favorite guitarist - ever - for some reason though - I don't think of him as a prog guitarist.
    Word.

Two of my favorites EVER and they have a similar connection in their approach to rhythm that sets them apart from the rest. On most days when I'm really in the mood and feeling it, I have no need for any other guitar solos by anybody besides FZ. He is and will always be the true rosetta stone for me in terms in improvisation. Lucky for us he left behind a ton of his playing on record to be enjoyed for many lifetimes.

Fripp, Lifeson, Barre, Hackett, Gilmour, Albrighton, Latimer
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I like Lifeson, especially up to the early 80s. But I never thought of him as being that distinctive. His early work was heavily influenced by Jimmy Page, and then later he started immitating Andy Summers. Then he went grunge. I lost track after that.

Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    How about John Goodsall, He always impressed me.
    exactly! am refreshing Brand X as we speak. Think their best were Xcommunication and Manifest. Then goes Masques... very unusual, I know
    Apart from that (adding to the list), the one that I'll instantly recognise will be Nick Barrett. Also Piotr Grudzinsky falls in that same melodic category. As far as high tech goes: Guthrie Govan and Mike Romeo.

yes guys, John Petrucci gets instantly recognised

Eddie Hazel

tasty licks between lyrics, but super cosmic overdrive activates around 2:45

Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Fripp, Gilmour, Holdsworth
    What he said!
    "The world will soon be right again,
    Innocence and undying love will reign."
    - Transatlantic

A couple of names I haven't seen yet

1. Gary Green

2. Rick Witkowski

3. Rone Stolt

4. Roger Steen

5. James Young

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    tasty licks between lyrics, but super cosmic overdrive activates around 2:45

Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think Hazel is on that album.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

[QUOTE=Wisdomview;
    Phil Manzanera
    [/QUOTE]

Good pick.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    I love his solo at the end of "Goodbye Stranger."

I always found it interesting that he started out as Supertramp's bass player, then moved to lead guitar, and then became just as well known for his keyboard work on songs like "The Logical Song." Nowadays he only plays keyboards and 12-string acoustic, and it seems he's given up electric guitar altogether, at least in live performance. I wonder why.
    True, although apparently on his most recent European tour he dusted off "Had a Dream", and played a ripping electric solo at the end

No fans of Marc Ribot?
    His cearmic dog and work with Zorn is modern day prog for me...

Reine Fiske - totally unique sound, in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    One of the most powerful and self-assured electric guitar players I EVER heard! How could I possibly have forgotten him...? He was like the Peter Green of progressive rock; perfect technique yet highly economical at that, still insanely emotional and impulsively charged in everything he plays. His work on the final three M. Efekt records is absolutely mesmerizing.
    Great stuff - thanks for posting it!

It is a real shame that this band is so underdocumented in their live incarnation. Someone should fix this error and carry out a deep trawl through radio and TV archives. Other legendary prog bands from the same region (and political block of the time), like Plastic People of the Universe, Collegium Musicum, SBB and Niemen, are much better served in that aspect.

Some guys mentioned above to me are recognizable due to the music as a whole, i'm not sure if they wold be as distinctive on their own. Gary Green, Lifeson, Summers come to mind. Dont get me wrong, I love their work!! But on their own I'm not sure they would be as recognizable to me as Gilmour, Hillage, Fripp, Daevid Allens glisando, Oldfield, Holdsworth, and lest I not forget, Shawn Lane.
    Guys like Leo Kotke, Michael Hedges and Metheney, I know they're not prog, but they have a very distinctive sound i'd recognize all on their own with no music around them if that makes any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    No fans of Marc Ribot?
    His cearmic dog and work with Zorn is modern day prog for me...
    I'm a fan, but as with Nels Cline, O'Rourke and some others, Ribot completely transcends almost every tag placed upon him. Like those two though, he's an incredibly technically apt player who - unlike the Satriani Petruccis - does not sway about his fingers unless the enormity of the material absolutely recquires it.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

90's Steve Wilson

Peter Cosey