Thread: Finch

Finch

Listening to the Mythology set right now. I've had Glory Of The Inner Force on CD and Beyond Expression on LP since the mid 90's, but I've never heard Galleons Of Passion before. I'm also looking forward to hearing the live tracks.

Anyone familiar with the Making Of Galleons Of Passion or Stage 76 releases? Looking at Discogs.com, it looks like there's some stuff on those two releases that didn't make it onto the Mythology set. Are those worth tracking down or what?

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Listening to the Mythology set right now. I've had Glory Of The Inner Force on CD and Beyond Expression on LP since the mid 90's, but I've never heard Galleons Of Passion before. I'm also looking forward to hearing the live tracks.

Anyone familiar with the Making Of Galleons Of Passion or Stage 76 releases? Looking at Discogs.com, it looks like there's some stuff on those two releases that didn't make it onto the Mythology set. Are those worth tracking down or what?
    All of their stuff is worth hearing. The live tracks can get a little frenetic and not as melodic as Beyond Expression, which is a favorite. Galleons of Passion is still a rewarding listen.

Quote Originally Posted by Blah_Blah_Woof_Woof View Post
    All of their stuff is worth hearing.
    Yup, but truth be told (IMHO) only Inner Force is an absolutely necessary property.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

After Glory of the Inner Force, nothing interesting. Galleons of Passion is a drag.
    Glory of the Inner Force is worth having, in my opinion. Good guitar playing from Joop van Nimwegen. The track Pisces is my favorite.

They’re all good, but by the time of Galleons of Passion, they were beginning to repeat themselves (compare the main melodic motive to “Reconciling” with “Register Magister”). I’d say that Glory of the Inner Force is the only really “essential” one, but I wouldn’t want to be without any of them.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

The thing I especially love about Finch is that each of their 3 albums has a unique personality and there really is no superiority of one over another. All three are excellent in their own way.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I agree with Progbear and Mysterious Traveller. Galleons Of Passion always reminded me of Camel kinda. I own The Making Of Galleons Of Passion and the live,1976 stuff is awesome. I have Beyond Expression on lp,GOTIF on cd. Don't own Galleons Of Passion except on Maxell. Would love to get BE on cd though. My favorite tune by Finch is A Bridge To Alice(Glory Of The Inner Force)

I have the three Finch CDs. Beyond Expression is probably my favorite of the three, and Galleons my least favorite, but I like them all.

Bill

I think people use Glory of the Inner Force as the benchmark for Finch and compare all others to it. My favorite is still Beyond Expression where the guitar just sings; maybe its not as 'forceful' as Glory. Where Galleons seems to a bit formulaic, it is performed heroically and adeptly. I am happy to have clean vinyl copies of all of these. Before I collected them, the only thing I could get on cd was the Making of Galleons/Stage. This was just a warm up for the real thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Blah_Blah_Woof_Woof View Post
    Before I collected them, the only thing I could get on cd was the Making of Galleons/Stage. This was just a warm up for the real thing.
    Coming back to my original question, which everyone seems to have overlooked, how is the Making Of Galleons.../Stage release? According to Discogs.com, there's another release called Stage 75-76, which appears to have the live stuff from the Making Of.../Stage set, plus another CD's worth of live tracks. Some of these tracks (as well as some of the demos from Making Of...) appear on Mythology, but not all of them. What I'm wondering is if it's worth seeking either or both of those releases.

Coming back to my original question, which everyone seems to have overlooked, how is the Making Of Galleons.../Stage release? According to Discogs.com, there's another release called Stage 75-76, which appears to have the live stuff from the Making Of.../Stage set, plus another CD's worth of live tracks. Some of these tracks (as well as some of the demos from Making Of...) appear on Mythology, but not all of them. What I'm wondering is if it's worth seeking either or both of those releases.
    What do you mean "everyone seems to have overlooked?" I told you I have it and that it's gr8-get it GuitarGeek.

The "Making of Galleons" is better than the "Galleons of Passion" album itself.

how is the Making Of Galleons.../Stage release?
    it is the demo tapes for the Galleons album which contains 3 unreleased tracks on disc 1
    disc 2 is some live recordings from 76 with one piece that doesn't appear on any of the 3 albums
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Any comments on Vita Dominica, which I guess is another live album (and seems to be available only on vinyl)?
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Is Mythology essential?

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    Is Mythology essential?
    I didn't look extremely carefully, but it seems to be the three albums and the 'Making of Galleons Stage 76' all in one 3 disc package

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I didn't look extremely carefully, but it seems to be the three albums and the 'Making of Galleons Stage 76' all in one 3 disc package
    Thanks. Since the only cd I have is Glory Of The Inner Force,it may be a good buy for me. Where would I get the best deal if you know?

Ordered from Importcds, less than $27 new. Could not pass this one up.

Not quite. If the info I'm finding on sites like Discogs.com is true, they condensed the Making Of Galleons/Stage 76 material down to a single CD, leaving a lot of things off in the process.

Not quite. If the info I'm finding on sites like Discogs.com is true, they condensed the Making Of Galleons/Stage 76 material down to a single CD, leaving a lot of things off in the process.
    Something like that. There is only the Necronomicon (the only non album track) from the live tracks and all the studio ones.

And there are also the three live tracks (from 75) of the Vita Dominica Album. (2 of them at the end of CD 2)

so... if one has the 3 70s albums and the 'making of/76' double disc, would that mean Mythology is superfluous?

so... if one has the 3 70s albums and the 'making of/76' double disc, would that mean Mythology is superfluous?
    Would say so, you would miss 3 live tracks (75) but already own 4 live tracks (76) that are not on it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Would say so, you would miss 3 live tracks (75) but already own 4 live tracks (76) that are not on it.
    With Mythology, I will have everything because I have Making of Galleons Of Passion already. Should get between the 17th and Oc. 3.

I've always loved all 3. Our band used to cover a tune from 'Beyond Expression' back in the day. We played Finch albums so much back then that I actually got burnt out on them for a while, but that's not the case any more. I never really had a favorite between their albums, though I probably (except for the track we covered) played their first the most.

Musically I suppose they are somewhere between Lotus and Camel, probably closer to Lotus (the Swedish band), overall more upbeat than Camel. I'll probably pick up the 'Mythology' set, as well.