Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite prog albums excluding these 8 groups.

I am probably wrong, but wasn't scrotum the same guy that was bitching about the predictability of such lists like the Rolling Stone best prog albums list. I stress that I don't remember for sure.

Also, his reasoning that you should just read every post on Progressive Ears rather than scan a quick succinct list is just silly and lacks common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    I don't even include the Moody Blues in my top 50
    This wasn't the question that was asked. Replying to this thread does not indicate a love or hate toward the 8 bands. The only intention of this thread is to help great albums get recognition without competing with the most popular bands in the genre.
    Please help us keep this thread on topic.

Gentle Giant - Acquiring The Taste
    Gentle Giant - Octopus
    Gentle Giant Free Hand
    Greenslade Spyglass Guest
    Gryphon - same title
    PFM Photos of Ghosts
    Van der Graaf - Quite Zone/Pleasure Dome
    VdGG Still Life
    Focus Moving Waves
    Cressida same

Solo albums are cool to include.

It should be 'excluding 9 groups' by including Porcupine Tree

Eno - Another Green World
    Camel - Mirage
    Focus - Moving Waves
    Focus - Hamburger Concerto
    Gentle Giant - Gentle Giant
    Steven Wilson - Grace For Drowning
    Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (And Other Stories)
    Strawbs - Ghost
    Supertramp - Crime of the Century
    “One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.”

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TCC View Post
    Hello Gang!.

- Ahvak/same (2004).!.
    I was going to mention that outstanding album
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Musitron View Post
    It should be 'excluding 9 groups' by including Porcupine Tree

Eno - Another Green World
    Camel - Mirage
    Focus - Moving Waves
    Focus - Hamburger Concerto
    Gentle Giant - Gentle Giant
    Steven Wilson - Grace For Drowning
    Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (And Other Stories)
    Strawbs - Ghost
    Supertramp - Crime of the Century
    Great list

Quote Originally Posted by Tim35 View Post
    I am probably wrong, but wasn't scrotum the same guy that was bitching about the predictability of such lists like the Rolling Stone best prog albums list. I stress that I don't remember for sure.

Also, his reasoning that you should just read every post on Progressive Ears rather than scan a quick succinct list is just silly and lacks common sense.
    Your right, Scrotum's posts are usually BS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Scrotum's posts are usually BS!!!
    Scrotums post are usually calling you on BS
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I don't have any Genesis, Moodies, ELP or Rush in my top 50.
    What is your problem Just Kidding
    “One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.”

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Your right, Scrotum's posts are usually BS!!!
    Rufus, please call my BS when I write about progressive rock from Argentina and Brazil, will you? Or from Romania, Poland or the Czech republic? How about 70s or 80s or 90s Japan, Roofe? Or the Northern European countries? Call it when I write about the current Norwegian scene, 80s NY Downtown music, progressive folk-rock of all varieties, Rock-In-Opposition, Canterbury, Zeuhl or Krautrock - can or will you please call my BS on those topics and replace them with the REAL insight that's recquired? Rock history from Australia, will you please correct me on that? Or Chile? Perhaps Greece in the early 70s? How about new progressive rock from the 90s and the Colours label, or the ventures of post-rock and math-rock, maybe the Brooklyn scene in the early 2000s... Can you set me straight, so that people get that information truth- and rightfully?

Or perhaps you don't even know what are in those posts, seeing how you are evidently aware of little next to none of this music's overall idiomatic vastness. You don't even abstain from demonstrating your own complete and utter ignorance about 90% of what is commonly discussed in here and HAS been discussed in here for years and years before you ever joined this place. So butt the fuck off and stuff it.
    Last edited by Scrotum Scissor; 09-06-2014 at 09:23 PM.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

his reasoning that you should just read every post on Progressive Ears rather than scan a quick succinct list is just silly and lacks common sense.
    No, it does not. Firstly, I didn't write that; I made a point as to the fact that PE has *usually* been about other things than those eight names in question, so that if people would actually start reading about all those strange and alien topics and acts that seem to pop up as threads every few hours, then making lists of what some for various reasons would deem "obscure" would not be necessary.

Secondly, an advice; before judging posters in places like this, please avoid the shallow impression of immediacy.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

1 Nektar - Remember The Future

2 Amon Duul II - Yeti

3 The Tangent - Not As Good As The Book

4 Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso - Io Sono Nato Libero

5 Camel - Mirage

6 Caravan - In The Land Of Grey And Pink

7 Eloy - Ocean

8 Flower Kings - Banks Of Eden

9 Van Der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts

10 Porcupine Tree - The Sky Moves Sideways

Special Mention:

1 Phideaux - Snowtorch

2 PFM - Per Un Amico

3 Manfred Mann’s Earth Band - Solar Fire

4 Le Orme - Felona E Sorona

5 Gentle Giant - Octopus

6 Il Balletto Di Bronzo -Ys

This list was too easy to compile. It was so easy that I broke my own rules with the special mention addition.

Honestly, I think all 16 of these albums are top notch. All could have made the top 10 list depending on the day I made this list.

Keep the lists coming.
    Keep it simple.

Scrotum,

You just like causing conflict by dialing in on something. Then going over it until people are tired of it. Sometimes it may be true. Sometimes it is not. You like to get under the skin of people. As a result, people move to another thread. You are basically a thread killer.
    You should move to another thread If you don’t like the current one. Why do you want to spend most of your time on Progressive Ears complaining?

Go ahead and either respond or go to another thread if you want to. This is the last time I will speak to you about this matter. I will not continue to fuel the Scrotum monster. I am going back to enjoying music.

Peace and love
    Last edited by Tim35; 09-06-2014 at 09:44 PM.

Or perhaps you don't even know what are in those posts, seeing how you are evidently aware of little next to none of this music's overall idiomatic vastness. You don't even abstain from demonstrating your own complete and utter ignorance about 90% of what is commonly discussed in here and HAS been discussed in here for years and years before you ever joined this place. So butt the fuck off and stuff it.[/QUOTE]

Very Classy quote Scrotum.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Most threads in here are in fact NOT about those eight bands, so why not just read the (vast majority of) other posts popping up?
    I never said that most threads specifically in PE were about these bands.

Please understand the post before you respond.

Hopefully, we can move on and have some fun in this thread.

The only intention of this thread is to help great albums get recognition without competing with the most popular bands in the genre.
    Last edited by Tim35; 09-06-2014 at 10:09 PM.

Scrotum,

You just like causing conflict by dialing in on something. Then going over it until people are tired of it. You like to get under the skin of people. As a result, people move to another thread. You are basically a thread killer.
    You should move to another thread If you don’t like the current one. Why do you want to spend most of your time on Progressive Ears complaining?

Go ahead and either respond or go to another thread if you want to. This is the last time I will speak to you about this matter. I will not continue to fuel the Scrotum monster. I am going back to enjoying music.

Peace and love
    I'm sorry that you feel this way. I do in fact not like to get "under the skin of people". I wrote an initial comment, and as I've just made an effort to explain to you, there's a chance that you've misunderstood the essence of what I wrote. Lists, that you are calling out for, appear every other week here at PE. About Spain, Russia, Quebec, ex-Yugoslavia - about Iceland. This is because there are a lot of knowledgeable contributors here who love their music wholeheartedly and would like to share the word. "Thread killers" would usually be someone who supplies information which is untrue or who is opinionated without due explanation - about the topic, the artist or even the poster at hand.

You are not feeding any "monster", as such does not exist. But this is a discussion forum. And that "classy " comment was not directed at you.

Please understand the post before you respond.
    There is, in terms of formal logic, nothing in that line implying that I accused you of saying "[...] that most threads specifically in PE were about these bands". It was a hint and a point, and I've since explained that on three occasions.

Keep it coming SS I love your analysis. Personally I hunt out your posts. But I guess we're kindred spirits.
    Ian

Actually only 2 of those bands make my top 10 anyway (Yes, Genesis, well maybe Jethro Tull around #10)

In no particular order:

Camel - Snow Goose (or A Live Record)
    Renaissance - Live at Carnegie Hall
    Ambrosia - s/t
    Frank Zappa - One Size Fits All
    VdGG - Still Life
    Hatfield and the North - s/t
    Magenta - Home
    Phideaux - Doomsday Afternoon
    IQ - The Wake
    Kansas - Two for the Show (expanded version)

I never get sick of these:

Atlas: Blå Vardag
    Banco del Mutuo Soccorso: Darwin!
    Crack: Si todo hiciera Crack
    England: Garden Shed
    Finch: Glory of the Inner Force
    Gunesh: Looking at the Earth
    Magma: MDK
    National Health: Of Queues & Cures
    Pekka Pohjola: Visitation
    Schicke, Führs & Fröhling: Symphonic Pictures
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Score one for Richard...Well, maybe two.

Hopefully, we can move on and have some fun in this thread.

The only intention of this thread is to help great albums get recognition without competing with the most popular bands in the genre.
    that is a fine objective... however, I think that you have Mr. Scissors all wrong. He is extremely knowledgeable of all things Prog as far as I have observed.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I never get sick of these:

Atlas: Blå Vardag
    Finch: Glory of the Inner Force
    Gunesh: Looking at the Earth
    National Health: Of Queues & Cures
    Pekka Pohjola: Visitation
    Schicke, Führs & Fröhling: Symphonic Pictures
    awesome albums all
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?