Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Name an overlooked/underrated Marillion song

Name an overlooked/underrated Marillion song

I like this one a lot, and I was pleased they played it live on the "Alphabet" night the Saturday of Montreal weekend 2011. (I have no idea why this video uses footage from "Falling In Love", although that's a decent movie.)
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    If My Heart Were A Ball It Would Roll Uphill. I don't get the dislike for this song. The end section where h refers back to When I Meet God and reels off the list of words with some really nice key changes is great.

But I think Anorak is a great album, aside from Map of the World, which is probably the most Meh single attempt they ever made. The Fruit of the Wild Rose is also great.

And why don't people care for Corn Fly (from HItR)? I love that song.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    If My Heart Were A Ball It Would Roll Uphill. I don't get the dislike for this song. The end section where h refers back to When I Meet God and reels off the list of words with some really nice key changes is great.

But I think Anorak is a great album, aside from Map of the World, which is probably the most Meh single attempt they ever made. The Fruit of the Wild Rose is also great.

And why don't people care for Corn Fly (from HItR)? I love that song.
    Completely agree with all of this! "Map Of The World" is the worst track they ever did IMO, but otherwise I like Anoraknophobia. And I love "Cornfly"!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Love "Map of the World" - I think it's a great little pop song. Don't like "Cornfly" at all.

But I agree about "Fruit of the Wild Rose," and I'd add "This is the 21st Century" and "Quartz," too - great atmosphere on those two.

One of my personal faves is "Essence."
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Out Of This World

^^ but guys, 21C, Quartz, and Out of this World are hardly overlooked or under appreciated.

I don't know WHY someone wouldn't like Cornfly - great lyric, vocals, keyboards, guitar solo.

^^ but guys, 21C, Quartz, and Out of this World are hardly overlooked or under appreciated.
    I'd say "Out Of This World" is. I mean, I've seen it several times live at the weekends, but those don't count, as they play about eight or nine hours of material each weekend. It's not a song I hear discussed often, aside from the rabid fans.

Here's another that I really love:

Emerald Lies

Lady Fantasy

Go!
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    Born To Run from Radiation. Seriously, especially the remixed version that came out a while ago.

Also:

The Only Unforgivable Thththting from Marbles

The list OVERrated Marillion-songs is much longer though

Quote Originally Posted by Sunhillow View Post

Ha! I was going to post the same statement.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Emerald Lies
    Love that track.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    House
    Simply can't get into it. Never liked it, although many people do so I often wonder what I'm missing. I was pleased that it got voted out in favour of a different song for the "glowsticks" night at Marillion weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Go!
    Love that song, and they did a lovely version of it on the Less Is More album too.

Born To Run from Radiation. Seriously, especially the remixed version that came out a while ago.
    I really love the first few and last few songs on Radiation but those three in the middle have never worked for me. I have the remix, I'll listen again to "Born To Run".

"Fantastic Place" is the clear winner in this category IMO, and for a more recent one that everyone drools over, "The Sky Above The Rain" takes second place.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    "Fantastic Place" is the clear winner in this category IMO, and for a more recent one that everyone drools over, "The Sky Above The Rain" takes second place.
    Wow, I really love both of those songs, so I can't consider them overrated.

I'm not sure it's exactly underrated, but since it happens to be on one of their least appreciated albums, I'll mention A Voice From the Past. I think it's one of their very best songs, but may be overlooked by association with what some consider to be a throwaway album (Somewhere Else). I also really like The Other Half and the title track from that album. If you delete Most Toys it's actually a pretty enjoyable album, overall, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post
    Wow, I really love both of those songs, so I can't consider them overrated.

I'm not sure it's exactly underrated, but since it happens to be on one of their least appreciated albums, I'll mention A Voice From the Past. I think it's one of their very best songs, but may be overlooked by association with what some consider to be a throwaway album (Somewhere Else). I also really like The Other Half and the title track from that album. If you delete Most Toys it's actually a pretty enjoyable album, overall, imo.
    I know, most people love those two songs and I am certainly in the minority. I find them both so dreary and boring, personally. And I know they both have sudden climaxes that people find emotionally powerful, but as it stands neither of them work for me (and I've seen both songs live).

However I agree on "A Voice From The Past". Excellent song. Somewhere Else gets somewhat unfairly criticized, as it's a single release sandwiched between two monster double albums, both of which had huge campaign editions and concepts behind them... it seemed to be released with little fanfare in comparison, but it has some great songs on it, and I don't even mind "Most Toys", which I find a fun little song. The one I'd chop is "Thank You Whoever You Are". But otherwise, a very solid album. And the accompanying live DVD from that tour (Somewhere In London) is the best one they've ever done IMO. The best from the Hogarth era, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by rael74 View Post
    Lady Fantasy
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Emerald Lies
    Never heard of Fish-era fans underrating this one (and the fact that it's not played Live much might create that impression), but I'd agree that fans who don't listen to that era much are essentially underrating this one (along with all the other Fish-era songs they're underrating LOL).

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I'd say "Out Of This World" is. I mean, I've seen it several times live at the weekends, but those don't count, as they play about eight or nine hours of material each weekend. It's not a song I hear discussed often, aside from the rabid fans.

Here's another that I really love:

When AoS was new, Out of this World was pretty much a fan favorite. It actually never did much for me.

All the other songs you guys mentioned are great. Progatron, how can you say the song The Other Half is dreary? IMO that song shoots out of the starting gate and doesn't let up, and yes, the guitar solo is great. Somewhere Else - you just have to be into the atmosphere and h's lyrics and vocals on that one, which I am. I love the "Tutankhamen sleeping..." part.

The only song I don't like on SE is Most Toys, and I don't hate it.

Fantastic Place I didn't like for quite a while, but I came to like it.

The list of Marilllion songs I don't like is really very short -maybe half a dozen.

the whole warm wet circles suite

I'd nominate for most underrated A Few Words For The Dead. It's my favorite Marillion song and #1 on my Songs I'd Love To Hear Them Play Live list. I also think Tumble Down The Years is very underrated, in a just and fair world, it would have had a sparkling Dave Meegan production and been a Top 10 hit around the world. Plus, there's songs that a lot of the fanbase seem to not like at all, like Built-in Bastard Radar and especially The Last Century of Man, that I love. And God help us all, indeed.

Most overrated? Sugar Mice, which I absolutely loathe and which, of course, they inflicted on me at the first HoB show in West Hollywood AND at the Fillmore in San Francisco in 2012. Oh woe is me, WOE IS ME.

I've long wished that they would do live Afraid of Sunrise > Out of This World > Afraid of Sunlight as a suite (and not just because they're doing the whole album). Alas.
    ...or you could love

Progatron, how can you say the song The Other Half is dreary? IMO that song shoots out of the starting gate and doesn't let up, and yes, the guitar solo is great.
    I didn't. I was referring to "Fantastic Place" and "The Sky Above The Rain".

I love "The Other Half".

Tux On
    Runaway

I'm sure I can think of more.

Quote Originally Posted by marblesmike View Post
    Tux On
    Great tune! Should have been on the album IMO as it fits with the general theme so well. I could happily replace "Just For The Record" with that one.

Both "House" and "Go" from .com were previously mentioned, and I would add both "Tumble Down..." and "Lulu".

.com is one of my 3 favorite M albums.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman