Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Name an overlooked/underrated Marillion song

Quote Originally Posted by AstroProg View Post
    From the Brave CD, The Great Escape, particularly Part 2 Falling from the Moon. I used to think of this song as just a filler to get to the much more accessible Made Again. At some point in time it occurred to me that the lyrics, although not very long or complex, really hit home. Great song from the H era CD that is still my favorite.
    My favourite Marillion song of all. Hard to consider it underrated or overlooked though, as it's a fan favourite at the shows, is usually in the set, and is the emotional finale to an acclaimed album ("Made Again" is really more of an epilogue).
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Throw Me Out is really underrated. It's got a very melancholy, Beatles sort of vibe with a great sing-along type part at the end. So pissed this one gets no attention from the band.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    My favourite Marillion song of all. Hard to consider it underrated or overlooked though, as it's a fan favourite at the shows, is usually in the set, and is the emotional finale to an acclaimed album ("Made Again" is really more of an epilogue).
    Wasn't it released as a single too?

Three Boats Down From the Candy always resonates with me. Anything from the 1st (vinyl) side of CAS, or Beautiful from AOS.

Quote Originally Posted by bigjohnwayne View Post
    After You

You Don't Need Anyone (a Holidays in Eden era outtake)

Beyond You

Genie

Essence
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Probably not underrated, but I love the Big Beat version of Memory of Water. They opened with that at one show and it was a great opener.
    A lot of good ones mentioned, including these, that I overlooked.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Progatron mentioned replacing Just For the Record with Tux On, I think both of those songs are underrated. I've always loved Just For the Record, with it's bouncy odd-time verses and killer keyboard solo. I've always wondered why many fans (and the band, for that matter) disregard it so.

Another underrated gem from the the Fish era, for me, is Lady Nina. I bought the Brief Encounter EP back then, that had live versions of Kayleigh, Script and Fugazi, plus Lady Nina and Freaks. Didn't care so much for Freaks, but I loved the unique atmosphere of Lady Nina - the electronic sounding drums, sort of laid back (sensual ?) guitar solo and Fish's double tracked octave-apart vocals. Still love everything about this song.

Edit: Just played it again, forgot to mention the nifty keyboard solo that closes out the song.

'Just For The Record' is fine- lyrically it fits in, being all about the addict's denial- but I'm not crazy about the keyboard solo. 'Going Under' is a very atmospheric song- a couple of the lyrics are a bit dodgy, but it gets by on sheer vibe alone. Those are the only criticisms I have of the entire album.

'Beautiful' was chosen as a single from AOS so it did attract a certain amount of attention. Don't think it was a hit though. The song on there I struggled with was 'Cannibal Surf Babe'. Some of the keyboard patches on this song are a bit too gimmicky and self-consciously 'quirky' but if I ignore that, it's actually quite an interesting song, really. The show I saw was funny, it had a load of these less-popular songs (this one, 'Most Toys', 'Hooks In You', 'Fruit Of The Wild Rose') and it was still great!

Quote Originally Posted by DTA View Post
    Throw Me Out is really underrated. It's got a very melancholy, Beatles sort of vibe with a great sing-along type part at the end. So pissed this one gets no attention from the band.
    Played the album again yesterday. This song is the sort of concise, artful pop/rock I'm very happy with them doing. 'Thunderfly' is better than I remembered, but I still don't really love it or anything.

How are some of the 'Holiday In Eden' songs viewed now? Save for the title track- Marillion in big hair 80s rock mode a la 'Hooks In You' again- I have to admit I really like that album more or less right through. But some fans were alienated by it.
    Last edited by JJ88; 09-09-2014 at 04:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    How are some of the 'Holiday In Eden' songs viewed now? Save for the title track- Marillion in big hair 80s rock mode a la 'Hooks In You' again- I have to admit I really like that album more or less right through. But some fans were alienated by it.
    I was just going to say, while again not underrated it's perhaps overplayed but I never tire of The Space. A great song with a lot of power.

I was just going to say, while again not underrated it's perhaps overplayed but I never tire of The Space. A great song with a lot of power.
    Well, The Space... is on Seasons End, though. Holidays hasn't aged that well for me, overall. That said, I would put forth Holidays in Eden (the title track) as another underrated song. The chorus is a bit dodgy but I always liked the melody of the verses. I think it's a pretty effective rocker.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    'Going Under' is a very atmospheric song- a couple of the lyrics are a bit dodgy, but it gets by on sheer vibe alone.
    As far as I'm concerned, Going Under doesn't belong on the album (CaS) itself, it's only a b-side -- it wasn't on the original album (when it came out on vinyl) and its presence on the CD version is nothing but a distraction because at that spot some of us are actually waiting for instead the upbeat Just For The Record to start, not some slow and almost acoustic-like song that's pretty much a guitar+vocals-only song very different from the rest of the CaS material. Same with "After Me" on Seasons End. These are good b-sides but they shouldn't have been put inside the song flow of the albums on the CD versions. They should have been reserved for a bonus disc instead, which they ultimately released as part of the albums' 2-disc versions anyway (with bonus material on the 2nd disc).

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post
    Progatron mentioned replacing Just For the Record with Tux On, I think both of those songs are underrated. I've always loved Just For the Record, with it's bouncy odd-time verses and killer keyboard solo.
    Just For the Record is great. I love it. Yes the solo section is very nice and also transitions very neatly and cleverly, by segue'ing into a mini bridge that sounds like a guitar solo doubling the vocals -- I like the sound that the guitar and vocals create there together before the song goes back into a verse. Harmonywise and overall, monumental section, I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post
    Well, The Space... is on Seasons End, though. Holidays hasn't aged that well for me, overall. That said, I would put forth Holidays in Eden (the title track) as another underrated song. The chorus is a bit dodgy but I always liked the melody of the verses. I think it's a pretty effective rocker.
    Oops, I saw Hooks in You and just thought Seasons End.

Re: Going Under, it's excellent. To not like it is heresy! It's always been on the CD, which came out the same day as the vinyl, at least in the US.

I'm more than a little partial to several songs already cited: Seasons End, The Great Escape (Although I'm not convinced it's overlooked and/or underrated, at least by the fanbase, even as great as it is.), Beautiful, and This Train is My Life.

In addition, several other tracks popped into my head after reading the thread title, namely: Man of a Thousand Faces, Power, King of Sunset Town, and Holloway Girl. (As always, YMMV.)
    'The smell of strange colours are heard everywhere'- Threshold

Bear in mind I first heard the CD of 'Clutching...' rather than the record. So 'Going Under' has never sounded out of place to me. I'm not sure which is the order that they actually preferred...a few other CDs of the time also have songs not on the record version (BJH's 'Face To Face' and 'Welcome To The Show' for instance).

The ones progeezer's ghost nominates are good, but 'Holloway Girl' is another one I never really got into. Certainly the chorus feels too much like an also-ran 80s AOR band than what I like from Marillion. They had some good B-sides from this period though. 'King Of Sunset Town' is superb- that slow-burn introduction is exactly what I'm talking about when I say this is the sort of music that they do best. Unhurried and highly atmospheric.

With 'Holidays...', although the production is typical of the era, most of the album's singles still have a certain Marillion feel. 'No One Can' is probably the only one that can be argued about- that is pretty 'soft rock' but not that objectionable IMHO.

Older Than Me springs to mind as a pretty underrated love song. I think it's a beautiful song!

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar
    Institution Waltz:

There's a live version which actually was better than this.
    This early version of She Chameleon:

The intro of this Demo of Garden Party is great. Pity it didn't make the album:
    HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."

Man of a thousand faces - One of my favourite endings to a song - really uplifting.

Not sure if underrated - though the album This Strange Engine might be

Angelina was the first song to grab me when i first heard the Marbles album - hardly a typical Marillion song though it captured the mood i was in at the time and it remains a favourite.

"Angelina" is great, and I agree a different kind of vibe for them. Definitely an overlooked track!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    "Angelina" is great, and I agree a different kind of vibe for them. Definitely an overlooked track!
    +1

And there's the cool Steve Wilson remix too!

Quote Originally Posted by Hour Candle View Post
    Older Than Me springs to mind as a pretty underrated love song. I think it's a beautiful song!
    I always assumed it was about h and a very old woman - like 80 or older even. Cool song .

Going Under

Beautiful stuff.

She Chameleon from Fugazi, ripping keyboard run about a third way through (is this the only Marillion song to ever feature the "F word"?)

Quote Originally Posted by Ozgorilla View Post
    She Chameleon from Fugazi, ripping keyboard run about a third way through (is this the only Marillion song to ever feature the "F word"?)
    Garden Party has "f*cking" in it. I think that's it, though.

Wasn't it released as a single too?
    The version of The Great Escape without Falling from the Moon was released as a single IIRC. There were two versions on the vinyl edition of Brave - side four was double grooved so you randomly ended with the uplifting version (with FFtM) or the maudlin version (which trailed off from TGE into water sounds). IIRC

edit: here's the no Falling version