Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Carefully Introducing Frank Zappa to a Friend

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    Hey, maybe if FZ was around today he could hire this rhythm section.

That's awesome! You know, it really warms my heart to see young kids who even want to be musicians in this day and age, let alone have the ambition to actually get good at it. It gives me hope that the powers that be, the ones who control the mainstream will never be able to push real musicians out of the equation. The desire to play instruments and make good music will continue to be passed on from generation to generation, against all odds. Whenever I have doubts about that, some youngsters like these crawl out of the woodwork and assure me that the future of music is in good hands. Bravo, kids!

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    So, here's what I think I'm gonna do after all of this helpful feedback.

Remember, he listened to Apostrophe and OS and wasn't really turned on. Once I gave him Hot Rats, he was blown away.

So I'll turn him onto these in this order:

1. Chunga's Revenge
    2. One Size Fits All
    3. Zoot Allures
    4. Bongo Fury
    5. A few live ones like YCDTOSA 2 and something else.

Once he's hooked, I'll point him to the earlier Mothers work, which I'm pretty sure he won't care for. However, I do believe he'll appreciate them after hearing the other stuff. Of course, some of the more puerile stuff, like Live in New York, will find there place along the way, as well.

I think at that point, the flood gates will be open. Once I know what really strikes him the most, I can point him to some others. If it's the instrumental stuff, then Studio Tan and The Grand Wazoo. If he's open to the humor, then Joe's Garage might be a good place to go. But, I will ultimately let him find his own way after all that. YouTube helps.

Thanks for all the help.
    That sounds like a good attempt, but what comes to mind is that it takes time, especially if he is not exposed to Jazz.
    The Path is Clear

Don't use The Man From Utopia. Not the album to start with. Back in 1983 or 84, this was the first Zappa album I had bought. Now, I had heard other material but this was his current album at the time and, being excited about having my first FZ record I proceeded to play it for my dear friend Jack, known as Reginod around these parts. Shall we say his first reaction was not exactly positive? Now he would later discover the error of his ways and come to have a healthy appreciation for this release but the first time he heard it he may have thought I'd been drinking bong water. Not long after, I played Shut Up N Play Yer Guitar. Then we all had some bong water and all was well.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Sometimes I wonder if Thing-Fish is the only album FZ detractors have heard. Terrible, terrible record. It may just be the worst album I've ever heard!!
    Don't care for that one? I love Thing Fish. It has been a personal source of humor for about 30 years. I think it's way under rated. I find it to be one of the funniest records I've ever heard. Brilliant!

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    That's awesome! You know, it really warms my heart to see young kids who even want to be musicians in this day and age, let alone have the ambition to actually get good at it. It gives me hope that the powers that be, the ones who control the mainstream will never be able to push real musicians out of the equation. The desire to play instruments and make good music will continue to be passed on from generation to generation, against all odds. Whenever I have doubts about that, some youngsters like these crawl out of the woodwork and assure me that the future of music is in good hands. Bravo, kids!
    People played instruments long before there was a music industry, so I imagine they'll continue despite the fact that things have imploded. These kids look to be around 8 years old, so they should be monster players by the time they're 18.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    The solo on Zomby Woof will also rip your face off.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    Hey, maybe if FZ was around today he could hire this rhythm section.

Wow! If more kids spent their free time doing this instead of playing video games or joining gangs the world would be a much better place
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

These days there's probably more money in video games and gangs.

BTW, my intro to Zappa was "Suzy Creemcheese" by one of my doper friends back in junior high. It didn't ly endear me to Frank, but it sure made me remeber the name The Mothers of Invention.

I love The Man from Utopia. Not the sappy songs though... the outright messed up stuff. Tink Runs Amok especially. There is a ton of money in video games... Price point on a console game being around $65 a pop... and selling millions of copies. I've been making games since '96 and I've seen some serious money spent on development.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Waka Jawaka and Grand Wazoo are the only ones even roughly in the vein of Hot Rats.
    Burnt Weeny Sandwich, in spite of being by the early MOI, is mostly in that vein too.

Quote Originally Posted by EJD View Post
    Burnt Weeny Sandwich, in spite of being by the early MOI, is mostly in that vein too.
    As is Uncle Meat - though it stylistically sprawls all over the place even more than BWS. In some sense, both HR and BWS are tighter, more focused versions of Uncle Meat, but with less of its anything-goes magic.