Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Beefheart Box

New Beefheart Box

Looks like Decals will finally be available again on CD (you know, that medium hipsters have been telling us is dead).

I own Spotlight and Clear Spot, but Decals and the extras have sealed the deal on this for me

http://theseconddisc.com/2014/09/04/...nd/#more-26246

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

I've had a very dodgy copy of Decals for a few years. The chance to upgrade to an official release and get some bonus tracks (and hopefully all contained in a handsome package) seals the deal for me, too. I'm in. Thanks for the heads up.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Deal me in.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Limited edition??? And at least three people know about it now? Shit, I just pre-ordered. $60 at Amazon.

Of course, as we know since it's been around like that for years, Clear Spot & Spotlight would fit on a single disc, cutting this set to 3.

But I'm not quibbling.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

What's going on with 'Trout Mask Replica'? As I understand it, that's not as easy to get anymore either.
    Last edited by JJ88; 11-16-2014 at 08:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    What's going on with 'Trout Mask Replica'? As I understand it, that's not as easy to get anymore either.
    It ain't necessarily so :
    http://barfkoswill.shop.musictoday.c...167&pc=ZPCD165
    Last edited by unclemeat; 09-05-2014 at 08:27 AM.

I have one of the many counterfeit issues of LMDOB and the quality is so good both in sound and sleeve I don't think I'll be biting.

While I really want a legit cd of Decals without paying way too much, I don't think either of the other two albums are very good, not albums I would want to buy again. I'm not sure if I will go for it or take my chances on an individual reissue down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
    I don't think either of the other two albums are very good.
    +1 (they're OK), but my vinyl Decals barely survived college, so I need to replace it, preferably with a legit release. I'm down.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    $60 to get Decals and some outtakes that fanatics might already have scattered around their PCs already.

I bought my copy of Decals many years ago when it first came out. Looks like all the bonus tracks have been previously released on the Revenant box too.

Spotlight Kid and Clearspot 'not very good' ??? 'OK' ??? I'm surprized.

Granted, Decals is my most played Beefheart record of all time and was the one I was introduced to first, even before Trout Mask and before I saw them live. But the other two are accessible and have memorable songs- clearly viable entries in his discography.

The only beefheart I have on CD is Trout Mask and a sampler from the other box set with trout mask rehearsals. The rest I have on original vinyl.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I bought my copy of Decals many years ago when it first came out. Looks like all the bonus tracks have been previously released on the Revenant box too.
    As far as I can tell there is no overlap with the Revenant box. Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by Blah_Blah_Woof_Woof View Post
    Spotlight Kid and Clearspot 'not very good' ??? 'OK' ??? I'm surprized.
    Spotlight Kid is pretty good ("Blabber 'n Smoke" is a big favorite of mine) and Clear Spot is OK. They're better than Unconditionally Guaranteed and Bluejeans & Moonbeams, and possibly even Safe as Milk, but inferior to everything else in the Beefheart canon.

As far as "accessible" Beefheart goes, I'll take Milk over both of those. Spotlight Kid is kind of all over the place IMO and I find a least half of Clear Spot to be disposable. I know the band was probably at their happiest during that album, and even John French considers it his favorite despite not playing on it, but it doesn't do anything for me really.

Wow. Surprised at the hate (or at least ambivalence) for Clear Spot and Spotlight Kid. Both are essential Beefheart for me (though I'd take Milk over both of them). Not a dud on them. But, hey, it's all good.

Anything on the Zappa release of Trout Mask good enough to warrant a purchase?

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post

Anything on the Zappa release of Trout Mask good enough to warrant a purchase?
    Yes.Better seperation of the instruments in the stereo field, and better bass sonics.To my ears, it makes a difference.YMMV.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

The murky realm of the legality of Beefheart recordings continues to yield ... stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/Nouvel-Hippodr...9950075&sr=1-3

http://www.amazon.com/Full-Moon-Cowt...9950046&sr=1-2

Less interested in the "tragic" band release but does anyone know anymore about these releases?

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Yes.Better seperation of the instruments in the stereo field, and better bass sonics.To my ears, it makes a difference.YMMV.
    Thanks, Walt. I need to give the ZFT a bunch of money for some Zappa releases I haven't picked up yet, so I'll perhaps get in on their TMR, too. Cheers!

I already have the 3 albums included in this box on CD as well as vinyl but if the disc of unreleased outtakes/rarities is not part of the Grow Fins box then I'll be buying this.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Both are essential Beefheart for me
    moi aussi.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by FrippWire View Post
    I already have the 3 albums included in this box on CD as well as vinyl but if the disc of unreleased outtakes/rarities is not part of the Grow Fins box then I'll be buying this.
    The disc of unreleased stuff has never been officially released before. It is not on the Grow Fins box.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Checked this on Amazon - $60? You've got to be kidding! I only want Decals and the outtakes disc - I've got the other two and they rarely get plays from me as is. I sincerely hope the price goes down, or that Decals gets a single CD release.

Saying Spotlight and Clearspot is inferior to Decals is like saying Picasso is inferior to Dali. I'm not saying he could do no wrong- Seeing him at the Whiskey doing Bluejeans material was a WTF moment for me. "I got a bubble in my eye" indeed