Thread: FEATURED CD - Iluvatar : A Story Two days Wide

FEATURED CD - Iluvatar : A Story Two days Wide

Another PE=related item.

Per a certain "Steven Sly", on Amazon :
    Iluvatar fans had to wait four years for this the band's 3rd studio album to be released. The lineup remained the same on this one with the exception of the drum chair which is now occupied by Chris Mack. For me this is Iluvatar's best album and a culmination of everything they had worked toward up until this time. There was not a weak track on it as the band had matured into a more cohesive songwriting unit. The production on this album is significantly improved from the previous efforts as well. Iluvatar will still remind people of Marillion (especially the opening track "Sojourns"), Genesis or IQ, but they have taken the basic neo prog formula and really created something exceptional. "Story" is similar to the previous album "Children" in that the first 2/3 of the album are shorter, (for prog anyway) songs, with the album closer being a long epic. The formula works as most of the shorter songs are gems with "Savant", "Dreaming With The Lights On" and "Better Days" standing out as highlights. Like "Children" the band once again saves the best for last with the 15 minute closing epic "Indian Rain". This track is the best thing that Iluvatar has created and for me one of the standout melodic prog epics of the 90's. Unfortunately Iluvatar has been for the most part inactive since the release of this album and the sporadic live shows that followed. They remain one of my personal favorites and I truly hope that they get another album out in the not too distant future. The bottom line is if you like melodic progressive rock with great vocals, lyrics and music, Iluvatar is a band you need to check out.
    http://www.amazon.com/A-Story-Two-Da...+Two+days+Wide

Regards,

Duncan

Still my overall favorite album by them. Love it!

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    This album is full of holidays and miracles!

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    I love this album, my first exposure to Iluvatar in preparation for their Nearfest set. One of my first threads here on PE lo those many years ago, when I thought I was being clever by using alliteration in my thread titles, was "Melodies That Make Me Misty",wherein I cited "Even Angels Fall" into"Indian Rain" as one of those wistful prog moments that actually moved me to tears. Must re-visit as I'm still waiting for my local brick and mortar store to get in my back-ordered copy of their new disc. hell, I've waited 12 years, I can wait a bit more.

This is neo prog for the non "prog" fan. Been years since I listened to it but I have a very favorable memories of its lush melodies.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    I'm sure I'm not the only soul here who has a, ummm, document of their Nearfest set. "More guitar?"

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Still my overall favorite album by them. Love it!
    Yes! Wonderful from start to finish. Such an uplifting sound.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

I love this album, I could listen to it a million times.

Been with these guys from their start and saw them several times in the 90's revival era, once in a living room sized record store

I have to be honest, I was quite disappointed with this one after the excellent first two

Not a lot of new ground, and to me, the songs just aren't as good

They've bounced back belatedly, with this years "From the Silence", thankfully

BG
    Last edited by Brian Griffin; 09-05-2014 at 03:14 PM.
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

The only release of theirs that I like.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Their earlier albums are supposed to be re-released sometime soon, right? I always meant to buy their albums back in the day, but somehow never got around to it.

Still my favorite of theirs. I can't believe it's been what 13 years since this cane out? One of the handful of prog albums that I've never tired of since the classic 70's albums.

What a great title for an album. I do prefer their Children record but this one is pretty good.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Suspended
    I never heard of this band before before but I am very impressed by Savant. From time to time I have listened to clips from various PE "Today's Featured CD"s and this is the first one that has made me think Wow, I should investigate this band further.

The opening of the song reminded me of, of all people - don't laugh - George Michael, in his more melodic moments.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I never heard of this band before before but I am very impressed by Savant...
    Some of the band members are long-standing members of Progressive Ears.
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Iluvatar : A Story Two Days Wide
    I wonder if the reissue of this is going to be released soon?

I used to own all (found the entire set in a clearance bin for $2 a pop. A band’s entire recorded output for $10? I’m there!) of the Iluvatar discs but sold all of them. Never clicked with me, everything from the singer to the songs seemed flat and expressionless, lacking dynamics. Very bland, no punch, no “oomph.” That said, this is the best one, with “Indian Rain” one of the few songs by them that I’ve heard that’s more than merely “nice.” It has a melody that hooks you in, a strong sense of flow from start to finish and more powerful dynamics than I’m used to from this band.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I used to own all (found the entire set in a clearance bin for $2 a pop. A band’s entire recorded output for $10? I’m there!) of the Iluvatar discs but sold all of them. Never clicked with me, everything from the singer to the songs seemed flat and expressionless, lacking dynamics. Very bland, no punch, no “oomph.” That said, this is the best one, with “Indian Rain” one of the few songs by them that I’ve heard that’s more than merely “nice.” It has a melody that hooks you in, a strong sense of flow from start to finish and more powerful dynamics than I’m used to from this band.
    I'm still puzzled how we all hear different things. For me Children is right up there with the very best of the genre. Two Days is good but not as good. I've tried really hard to get into the new one without success.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    I'm still puzzled how we all hear different things. For me Children is right up there with the very best of the genre. Two Days is good but not as good. I've tried really hard to get into the new one without success.
    I've tried numerous times myself to get into the new one and other than moments of it I've found it to be uneven. Two days and children are both great discs and I can see how dome fib done or the other better. A story two days wide is still my favorite with children a very close second.

I saw Illuvatar play live at Jammin' Java just outside D.C. about 2 years ago. The show was great and I was hoping the show and the new CD was a sign that we would see more of this band live in the Baltimore / D.C. area. Does anyone know if the band has been playing any live shows recently?

First one was very promissing with Exodus being quite spectacular number. Children was great and lived up to expectations. Story was a big let down with nothing quite memorable there. And the last one followed the path of the third, regretfully...

Revisited the entire Iluvatar catalogue and believe me, this one is the best by far. I’d actually been selling it short, “Indian Rain” is a quite superb and excellent piece, and there are other fine songs besides (“Better Days” and “Dreaming With the Lights On” especially).

The other two, well...I know they are highly regarded in some circles, but I find them to be completely bland and soporific neo-prog, with no surprises and no excitement. Especially the first just had nothing going for it bar the competence of the playing. But ASTDW was quite good!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...