Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deep Purple & Rotting Hulk of Fame

They always say that until they get it. Even KISS mellowed.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

I hope they tell them to piss off. Putting Morse and Blackmore on stage seems destined to fail and create drama so just forget the whole thing and keep on doing what they do, which is tour. Life has been pretty good for DP since Steve joined, why screw with something that is working?

I'm not ashamed to admit that I had to look up "Philistinism." But, he's right.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    I hope they tell them to piss off. Putting Morse and Blackmore on stage seems destined to fail and create drama so just forget the whole thing and keep on doing what they do, which is tour. Life has been pretty good for DP since Steve joined, why screw with something that is working?
    I don't see it that way at all. It's not like RB and SM have feuded. I would expect them to be professional about it. Who's looking to screw with anything? It's not like they suggested a full-blown reunion.

Now, RB and Ian Gillan, that's another story.

Knowing the HOF, they would suggest that Rod Evans participate.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Ron, I disagree, even though you are technically correct. The "filthy press" would have a field day with it and every idiot not unlike myself would have some idiotic opinion on message boards and it will become that story. Whether anyone wants it or not will be irrelevant. Plus the fact that by now it's almost a pity vote for DP, I'd say to hell with it all. I see no upside to accepting and inviting Blackmore onstage.

Ron, I disagree, even though you are technically correct. The "filthy press" would have a field day with it and every idiot not unlike myself would have some idiotic opinion on message boards and it will become that story. Whether anyone wants it or not will be irrelevant. Plus the fact that by now it's almost a pity vote for DP, I'd say to hell with it all. I see no upside to accepting and inviting Blackmore onstage.
    Okay, well, if you're referring to the press, then I agree. I thought you were referring to the band members.

I all honestly though, I'm not so sure the press would be paying that much attention. Certainly, not the mainstream.

I think Rolling Stone and what not would have something to say about Blackmore, should this occur. I don't know exactly what they would say, what kind of storm(if any) would come of this. You may be right and all could go well. Last time on stage with DP things didn't go so well, Ritchie is a wild card and you never know what you are getting with him. Things could go rather badly if Ritchie isn't happy. Is that a risk worth taking?

I like Deep Purple. I have some of their albums and a handful of live bootlegs. I don't really care about the RnRHoF.

They are the most ludicrous omission IMHO. Some say 'oh well they haven't done anything good in decades'...agree with that or not, if that was the criteria the hall would be empty, given that most inductees put out the obligatory 'dodgy 80s album(s)'.

The time to do it was while Jon Lord was alive - but hey, The Beastie Boys and The Head Rot Silly Lepers are so much more influential to rock history, just like Rolling Stone, so....

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Glover in that interview
    “Steve Morse has been in the band for 20 years, but I think Ritchie Blackmore deserves to be there. The right thing, if we ever do it, would be to have both of them there,”
    What makes anyone think that Steve Morse would be inducted? Look at what happened with Kiss and Heart. And other examples too numerous to mention.

I would love to see them in. Their absence is one of the most glaring of all those not yet admitted, as much as Yes. But yeah, if admitted they'd go with the mk II lineup which means Ritchie front and center.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    What makes anyone think that Steve Morse would be inducted? Look at what happened with Kiss and Heart. And other examples too numerous to mention.
    Just another question to add to the drama. Personally, after 20 years, it's somewhat akin to spitting in his face to ignore him, but you are correct this has happened before. They go by their rules and only they know what they are, if that. They probably make them up as they go along.

Rush getting in was vindication, especially after that editor from RS said they would never make it in. This is just insulting at this point. Lord isn't with us anymore, so the MK.II lineup that most likely would get admitted couldn't even play. The whole thing is a traveshamockery. Without Lord there bringing Blackmore back makes no sense. What, Airey's going to play but not get inducted?

Hall of Shame. Who cares? Deep Purple are still great! That's what matters.

I agree with whoever said they should've been inducted when Jon Lord was alive. They are long overdue. I also think that not including Steve Morse would be a slap in the face. They've recorded 4-5 studio albums with him and he's invigorated that band. But if they were inducted you can't not have Ritchie included of course. Somehow I just don't see Ritchie Blackmore on the same stage with Steve Morse. I could see it already, the current lineup would accept the award and play a couple numbers, and an announcement would be made that Ritchie Blackmore chose not to attend the event.

In a 2012 interview with Billboard magazine, Blackmore said this:

"Personally, I couldn't care less; I would never go. I'm not really a fan of that stuff. Considering some of the people that are in the Hall of Fame, I'm not sure if it's a good idea, so I don't care one way or the other, actually. I think our fans seem to care more than I do. They're always saying, 'You should be in the Hall of Fame. You should be in this, you should be in that...' If I can pay the bills, that's all I care about."

And in an August 2014 interview with Ian Gillan, Gillan - mainly to stress Morse's importance and involvement - made it clear that if Blackmore’s involvement in a ceremony set was required for their induction, he’d turn it down. “If that’s the stumbling block, fair enough,” he shrugged. “Never the twain shall meet.”

So who knows who would actually even show up if they were inducted. The Hall may think that this isnt even worth their time or effort.

Ritchie Blackmore: "Personally, I couldn't care less;
    Nah c'mon, you're kidding right?

Gillan - mainly to stress Morse's importance and involvement - made it clear that if Blackmore’s involvement in a ceremony set was required for their induction, he’d turn it down.
    Oh c'mon now, he's joking right......

A lot of people say oh, we don't care about that crap when they're being ignored but then show up with bells on when they get the call- *cough* *cough* KISS- but if there's one person who truly honestly doesn't give a flying fu@k, besides John Lydon, it's probably Ritchie.

Blackmore had clearly stated in the past year that he would never go.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    In a 2012 interview with Billboard magazine, Blackmore said this:

"Personally, I couldn't care less; I would never go. I'm not really a fan of that stuff. Considering some of the people that are in the Hall of Fame, I'm not sure if it's a good idea, so I don't care one way or the other, actually. I think our fans seem to care more than I do. They're always saying, 'You should be in the Hall of Fame. You should be in this, you should be in that...' If I can pay the bills, that's all I care about."

And in an August 2014 interview with Ian Gillan, Gillan - mainly to stress Morse's importance and involvement - made it clear that if Blackmore’s involvement in a ceremony set was required for their induction, he’d turn it down. “If that’s the stumbling block, fair enough,” he shrugged. “Never the twain shall meet.”

So who knows who would actually even show up if they were inducted. The Hall may think that this isnt even worth their time or effort.
    Gillan's reaction is neurotic which looks rather silly in his age.. showing hate after so many years means he was really painfully traumatized by RB)

Quote Originally Posted by grego View Post
    Blackmore had clearly stated in the past year that he would never go.
    Yep, didn't know that when I posted all that tripe. I'm unsurprised as it seems to fit his demeanor.

Quote Originally Posted by grego View Post
    Gillan's reaction is neurotic which looks rather silly in his age.. showing hate after so many years means he was really painfully traumatized by RB)
    Having seen and heard what Glover, Paice, Gillan and Lord said and experienced in Hell or High Water, seems the animosity towards Ritchie is not only deserved but shouldn't easily be forgiven. It's there for everyone to see, Ritchie having a hissy fit and acting like a little child. This is not new for Blackmore and they all know it. He embarrassed them and himself and as good as he's been, that's the last image of him in DP and it stings, him, their fans and especially the guys he pissed on the most, the band members.

In essence, I agree with Gillan.

Didn't Black Sabbath, essentially, say the same thing about the HOF? Ultimately, those who show up after dissing it tend to fall back on, "We're doing it for the fans." And, I'm not so sure there's anything wrong with that. They can also look at it as an opportunity to shine the light on Band A or Band B not being in.

"We're doing it for the fans." And, I'm not so sure there's anything wrong with that.
    I don't see anything wrong with that at all. Sometimes it takes a band a bit of humility to show that maybe they do give a shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I don't see anything wrong with that at all. Sometimes it takes a band a bit of humility to show that maybe they do give a shit.
    Unfortunately, and regretfully, humility seems to be a fading trait in all walks of society these days.