Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Autumn/Halloween Films You Watch Every Year

Autumn/Halloween Films You Watch Every Year

It's that time and like another thread asking what music we listen to in the autumn, I wanted a similar thread for movies...so...here's the ones I watch every autumn:

The Blair Witch Project
    The Ring
    Serpent and the Rainbow
    Pit and the Pendulum (60's version with Vincent Price)
    The Haunting (original B&W version)
    Ghost Ship
    The Shining (not the Jack Nicholson film but the 90's TV version directed by Stephen King)
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

Entrails of a Virgin

Texas Chainsaw Massacre
    The Exorcist
    The Wicker Man
    Invasion of the Body Snatchers
    Carnival of Souls
    Night of the Living Dead
    Alien

And I'm about to pop for this:http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Clas...nsters+blu+ray
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    I have all those Universal 2-DVD sets, and I usually put one of those movies on. It doesn't get better than those movies, for my money, as far as atmosphere.

Rosemary's Baby (the original) is a favorite too in my household.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    The Wicker Man
    Forgot about that one...good choice

I also usually watch Something Wicked This Way Comes
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

The House on Haunted Hill (1959) is usually the first one I watch on October 1st.

Nightmare before Christmas.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by WHORG View Post
    Entrails of a Virgin
    Is this a movie, or just what you view every Autumn?

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Nightmare before Christmas.
    Good call - we usually watch that around Thanksgiving-ish, but always thought it was underrated.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    1 year is too soon to re-watch a movie. Maybe it's just me.

I just found out that someone I know is related by marriage to Curt and Robert Siodmak - these two brothers made the 1941 film The Wolf Man (one wrote it, the other directed it), as well as some other Universal horror films with Lugosi, Karloff, etc., and a lot of classic and not so classic noir, SF, and horror films too. I just thought that was really cool to find out, and I'll be watching a bunch of those films around Halloween.

^^^ And, while I don't know if he had anything to do with any of the film versions, Curt Siodmak wrote the original novel of DONOVAN'S BRAIN, a lovely chiller.

Quote Originally Posted by izz_brian View Post
    Is this a movie, or just what you view every Autumn?
    It's a Jap sado-splatter-eros flick - classic for the genre.

Roman Polanski's Rosemary's Baby up until the point in the film where she has the baby...which I feel is ridiculous. Scenes from the film which display the old people taking on different personalities are exacting in reality. Their characters display kindness, they ask Rosemary lots of questions about her business, and they attempt to control her life. This is all very realistic and Polanski nails stylistically the common personalities of an elderly and wealthy Satan worshippers sect. The fact that they do not flaunt at all is totally correct.

Polanski's....The Ninth Gate has the same concept where the actors take on the same role. A subtle kind of darkness in their personalities that can confuse the hell out of an average person who is unaware of what these people are made of in real life. It's part of programming and victims of S.R.A. know all too well how to spot it. In the film the sect is after the book and during those scenes ...it's an introduction/education to having awareness in case you ever cross paths with a sect. The ending is a letdown for me personally and because I don't believe in people flying through the air, Satan, or the usage of sex to feel that you are doing the right thing to gain power. Personally...I believe and know that there are people who dress in black cloaks, belong to a sect, etc..but don't believe in the supernatural enough to convince myself that they are doing nothing more than placing a mask over their own personal boring life. They cast spells by using medicine ..which medicine/roots placed in a person's food can logically/physically put them in a trance..where they may agree to do almost anything. So in reality..it is not a spell ..just medicine. I have yet to see a film about witchcraft or Satan worship that sets an example of what goes on in the real world within that social environment. Polanski comes close regarding the examples I've given above, but in the end he pours sugar on top of the end product producing some moronic supernatural experience.

^^ Not sure I understand your complaints about the ending of the film, which is faithful to the novel. It wasn't "realistic" enough? It came from Ira Levin's imagination, and they're supposed to be "real" witches trying to bring about the son of Satan. It's a work of fiction.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 09-11-2014 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    ^^ Not sure I understand your complaints about the ending of the film, which is faithful to the novel. It wasn't "realistic" enough? It came from Ira Levin's imagination, and they're supposed to be "real" witches trying to bring about the son of Satan. It's a work of fiction.
    Because the fiction aspect (from my personal experiences with witches), evidently turns out to be their trust in a ritual deriving from a book. This I find delusional and it has never been proven to me that it works. So therefore ...I have a difficult time in believing any of it. I haven't completely closed my mind off from the supernatural/underworld, but I have mixed feelings after knowing witches all my life, Satan cult members, and those who are fringe about it and apply ancient spells to there own personal agenda in the modern times. I have never seen traces or an indication of anything. Sometimes what you see in a film is exacting to what certain individuals actually believe in and I have a difficult time buying into it. I would like to see a film about witches that arrives to the true reality of it. I haven't run across one yet, but I am convinced there must be a few out there. There are skeptics who don't even believe that humans dress in black cloaks ..let alone the supernatural aspect to it. The irony for me is that a majority of skeptics rely on what a journalist prints on a cult killing. Several cult killings existing in my youth were covered through the publications industry..where upon the story was bargained for by the justice system. That basically means that what I witnessed in real life was quite the opposite in the newspaper. I would like to see a film based on that alone..where the reality sets in , scaring the viewer but also educating them to what a sect is really all about.

Woah!

Educate us! Now!

Hey Nosebone! I remember you! How are you doing? I wish I could talk about my experiences?..but it's just not a cool thing to do and I may hint at wanting to discuss it...but it's not fair to the members of this site. And please keep in mind that I only made those references because I long to see a movie based around the subject matter. Maybe if an S.R.A. victim decided to produce a film, write the story, direct it...it would possibly come close to the reality I personally experienced. Many of my childhood friends were S.R.A. victims and that being the reason why I'd like to see a horror film on the subject.

OK, a ritual from a book almost never works. That doesn't mean people won't think it will.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    OK, a ritual from a book almost never works. That doesn't mean people won't think it will.
    I agree. But do you...do not think that believing it crosses the borderline delusional state?

I think it's quite acceptable for what is, after all, a fantasy movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Enid View Post
    Because the fiction aspect (from my personal experiences with witches), evidently turns out to be their trust in a ritual deriving from a book. This I find delusional and it has never been proven to me that it works. So therefore ...I have a difficult time in believing any of it. I haven't completely closed my mind off from the supernatural/underworld, but I have mixed feelings after knowing witches all my life, Satan cult members, and those who are fringe about it and apply ancient spells to there own personal agenda in the modern times. I have never seen traces or an indication of anything. Sometimes what you see in a film is exacting to what certain individuals actually believe in and I have a difficult time buying into it. I would like to see a film about witches that arrives to the true reality of it. I haven't run across one yet, but I am convinced there must be a few out there. There are skeptics who don't even believe that humans dress in black cloaks ..let alone the supernatural aspect to it. The irony for me is that a majority of skeptics rely on what a journalist prints on a cult killing. Several cult killings existing in my youth were covered through the publications industry..where upon the story was bargained for by the justice system. That basically means that what I witnessed in real life was quite the opposite in the newspaper. I would like to see a film based on that alone..where the reality sets in , scaring the viewer but also educating them to what a sect is really all about.
    Ok, I remember your posts from several years ago. Never mind!

Ok, I remember your posts from several years ago. Never mind!
    Really? I mean...it's perfectly fine if you don't agree with my views, but really I'm just looking for a film based on that subject matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Enid View Post
    Really? I mean...it's perfectly fine if you don't agree with my views, but really I'm just looking for a film based on that subject matter.
    You're talking about Satanic Ritual Abuse Hysteria? You might find a documentary on it, and lots of articles, but I don't think any "movies" about it.

I watch scary films all year and take a break during Halloween season. Recently saw the Rob Zombie movie 'Salem'. not so hot. I liked House of 1000 Corpses & its sequel more. The scariest thing about the Blair Witch movie was how incredibly annoying that girl (Heather) was. there's a ton of serial killer docs on YT. that's where I like to hang out.

You're talking about Satanic Ritual Abuse Hysteria? You might find a documentary on it, and lots of articles, but I don't think any "movies" about it.
    there's the Paradise Lost trilogy about the WM3