Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Live 'guest' appearances!

Live 'guest' appearances!

Can folk list appearences by renowned prog musicians with other bands at a live gig. Also please post links to any audio recordings of the event if they exist?

My memory is hazy but I believe Steve Hackett guested on an early Marillion gig, anybody know which song?

Steve Howe guested with Dream Theater & played Machine Messiah.
    Similarly Steve Rothery guested with DT but unsure which song?
    Rothery also guested with Arena & played Grendel. I know 'cos I was there. Wish I'd have recorded that one!!!
    Both Steve Hackett & Jon Anderson have guested with Transatlantic (praying the upcoming KalLIVEascope features JA's gig)
    I know Steve Howe once guested at a Fragile (Yes tribute) gig, not sure if any recordings exist.
    Similiary Keith Emerson guested at a Noddy's Puncture (ELP tribute) gig.

Any more?
    Last edited by Rufus; 09-03-2014 at 04:28 PM.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    I saw Metallica's drummer with Dream Theater performing "Master of Puppets" at the Orpheum in Boston in the early '00s. At least, I think that's who it was...not a Metallica fan (and not so much a DT fan any longer).
    I saw Peter Gabriel join Genesis for an encore at MSG in NYC in the very early '80s iirc. Not sure that counts.
    Roine Stolt's on the Hackett Genesis Revisited at RAH set, as is Ray Wilson (who also showed up on RPWL's "Show Beyond Man and Time" set) and John Wetton. Wetton is, of course, on the last D97 disc and saw him with them performing a set of KC tunes at NJ Proghouse Homecoming last year.
    This is what sprang to mind...will probably be a long list.

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    I saw Metallica's drummer with Dream Theater performing "Master of Puppets" at the Orpheum in Boston in the early '00s. At least, I think that's who it was...not a Metallica fan (and not so much a DT fan any longer).
    I saw Peter Gabriel join Genesis for an encore at MSG in NYC in the very early '80s iirc. Not sure that counts.
    Roine Stolt's on the Hackett Genesis Revisited at RAH set, as is Ray Wilson (who also showed up on RPWL's "Show Beyond Man and Time" set) and John Wetton. Wetton is, of course, on the last D97 disc and saw him with them performing a set of KC tunes at NJ Proghouse Homecoming last year.
    This is what sprang to mind...will probably be a long list.
    ^^^Thanks. Was totally unaware that PG guested at an 80's Genesis gig.Do you know which song?
    There is you-tube footage of Fish guesting with Marillion not too long ago!

The Gabriel sit-in with Genesis was in 1978, on the ATTWT tour in NYC.

Mike

Danny Carey of Tool sat in with Tony Levin, Adrian Belew, and Pat Mastelotto during the Crim Segment of the ABPT/Stick Men show here in Phoenix back in 2011:

Review is here: http://www.azcentral.com/thingstodo/...w-phoenix.html
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I believe Hackett sat in with Marillion for Oldfield's Shadow on the Wall.

Just saw David Jackson sit in with the Alex Carpani band, if that counts.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Quote Originally Posted by zorknapp View Post

Mike
    I vaguely recall it being "I Know What I Like."

Rich Williams from Kansas sat in with Glass Hammer for a Kansas cover at the Nearfest gig, and the show is available as a live album.

Quite recently John Wetton did several shows with District 97. This included the D97 song he sang with them in the studio, and a full set of King Crimson music.

Roy Harper joined Pink Floyd at Knebworth in '75 for "Have a Cigar."

Consider yourself forewarned; it's horrible. And I'm not just referring to the sound quality.

"The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Mike
    Are you sure that wasn't Fish just trying to get the vibe down right before the Marillion start up.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Hackett and Rutherford both joined Gabriel in '83-- playing a cover (Reach Out, I'll Be There) rather than a Genesis song.

Although I've heard only one Transatlantic song ever, I happen to be aware that Hackett guested with that band at the High Voltage festival in London to play Hogweed. It's on youtube. Adrian Belew joined Transatlantic for a song recently, maybe "Indiscipline", it might have been the same festival -- that too was (is?) on youtube. Just search.

Rothery performed at Hackett's recent tour on one night. It was at Hammersmith at London. The song was Lamia, it's on youtube -- the singer didn't perform very well, so I start listening to that video only starting at the point Rothery comes in (and there is no singing after that point).

Tony Levin played on the albums of so many people that even if he then appeared live with only a small fraction of them it would be a significant number of live/guest appearances -- I don't have specific examples right now but you can search at youtube.

It should be fairly easy for you to discover many similar examples at youtube by searching at youtube for your "renowned musician" of choice, in addition to the replies you get on this thread here.

Steve Hogarth guested with Sun Domingo at one of the Marillion weekend preshows.

Steve Rothery and Steve Hogarth guested with a band that included one of Marillion's techs (forget the guy's name and the band's name) at one of their weekends in Bristol.

Ian Mosley guested with local band Big Picture at the very first US Marillion fan convention in Chicago in like 1990 or something.

I appear as a newscaster's voice on 3rDegree's The Long Division. Yeah, it pretty much rocks!

Oh and there's the great Tokyo Tapes DVD by Hackett (or it might be called "Hackett and Friends" or something like that) -- it's a concert where every band member in Hackett's band other than him could be considered a renowned guest musician. For example, when they play old Genesis songs and very old King Crimson songs from the first album, Wetton is singing while Hackett's on guitar, Chester Thompson is on drums, etc. It's a nice mix of people. Colbeck, McDonald, etc. And it's a really good performance throughout, it's a great DVD.

I saw Steve Howe join the Steve Morse Band for their encore of Jeff Beck's "Freeway Jam" at My Fathers Place on Long Island. They were touring with Allan Holdsworth's trio featuring Jeff Berlin & Chad Wackerman; 83?
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

I saw Stevie Wonder sit-in with Return To Forever (for way too long), during the Romantic Warrior tour. The guy sitting next to me was a huge fan of Al Dimiola, who was obviously struggling to sight-read the charts. The guy next to me rationalized that, "probably Stevie himself notated them ....."
    Last edited by Prehensile Pencil; 09-04-2014 at 01:58 AM.

Of course Thijs van Leer appearance with Transatlantic, performing Sylvia and Hocus Pocus (Tilburg show March 13 2014)
    "The world will soon be right again,
    Innocence and undying love will reign."
    - Transatlantic

Dana Carvey came out during a Todd Rundgren show in NYC on the Nearly Human tour and did his George HW Bush routine. That was pretty cool at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    I saw Steve Howe join the Steve Morse Band for their encore of Jeff Beck's "Freeway Jam" at My Fathers Place on Long Island.
    That must have been amazing to see. Even if it sounded like garbage, I think I would have collapsed seeing Steve Morse doing Freeway Jam.

Frank Zappa introduces "Mr. Sting" to sing Murder By Numbers on Broadway the Hard way (1988 tour).

I remember seeing Kate Bush came on stage for a song or 2 at a David Gilmour gig at the Royal Festival Hall in 2002

And then at the Royal Albert Hall in 2006 David Bowie joined David Gilmour on stage. I think for the encore.

I vaguely recall it being "I Know What I Like."
    Correct! I have a rather bad boot of that performance, on tape it's hard to tell that Gabriel is even there.

I saw Dave Gilmour join Jeff Beck at the Royal Albert Hall for a few songs in the encore, probably back in 2008 or 2009.

Dave Gilmour (him again) popped up at the O2 for Comfortably Numb on Roger Waters The Wall tour around the same time IIRC (not sure this counts as it was his song, but it was usually Snowy White playing that solo on this tour, other than the one guest appearance. I'm pretty sure Nick Mason did a guest spot too, but cannot remember on which track, perhaps that was with the Aussie Floyd? Too many gigs and too many variations on a theme.

I also saw Steve Hackett play Firth of Fifth with The Musical Box at the RAH, possibly a decade ago?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I believe Hackett sat in with Marillion for Oldfield's Shadow on the Wall.
    Don't know about that but there's a recording of him playing "I Know What I Like" with them.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.