Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Live 'guest' appearances!

Then there's The Wall In Berlin....

...and the Hollywood All-Star performance of Tommy featuring Rufus' BFF as Uncle Ernie, and Patti Labelle as the Acid Queen...

...and Gary Glitter and Billy Idol touring with The Who for Quadrophenia...

...and Ringo's perennial All-Starr Band line-ups....
    Last edited by -=RTFR666=-; 09-07-2014 at 12:02 AM.
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Dana Carvey came out during a Todd Rundgren show in NYC on the Nearly Human tour and did his George HW Bush routine. That was pretty cool at the time.
    Of course, there’s the rendition of “Hello It’s Me” off of Back to the Bars featuring Spencer Davis, Stevie Nicks and Hall & Oates. Which is so frustrating because you can tell from Todd’s stage patter that they go into “Just One Victory” right after that, but the album fades out! ARRRGH!!!!!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Stevie Winwood joined Steely Dan for a tune down under where he also opened for them.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Count Floyd introduced The Weapon at Rush concerts on the Signals tour
    Ooooh, very scary, kids!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    Stevie Winwood joined Steely Dan for a tune down under where he also opened for them.
    Hilarious -- Winwood trying so hard to sound like Ray Charles, and Donald Fagan trying to look like him.

Also, is there an official industry term for the "3 backup singer chicks in skimpy black dresses" that get trotted out for shows like this?
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    Mick Fleetwood joining in on percussion at Pete Bardens' concerts at The Bottom Line in NYC.
    I already mentioned this one - great show, eh? An honor to have a chance to see Pete in action.

I don't think i mentioned this one:

1983 at the Palladium Theater in NYC. Al DiMeola, Paco DeLucia, and John McGlaughlin were touring their magical show again and Steve Morse was the warm-up. He joined the boys for their encore. It was a tremendous show.

In 1968, Michael Bloomfield met guitarist and singer Johnny Winter, who was then unknown. After hearing Winter play, Winter was invited to join Bloomfield and Al Kooper at a concert at the Fillmore East in New York on December 13, 1968, where the two performed B.B. King's "It's My Own Fault." A Columbia Records executive was in the audience that night and immediately signed Winter to a recording contract. It was the largest initial record deal at the time.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

In 1962 (during my folkie years), 2 friends & I went to see Joan Baez at Forest Hills Tennis Stadium (where the US Open was played before they built Flushing Meadows).

Halfway through the show she introduced her "project" from Hibbing, MN, who was previously unannounced.

No one in the crowd knew who he was, since the s/t debut album hadn't even been recorded yet. He sang "Masters Of War", "Hard Rain's A Gonna Fall" & (w/Joanie) "Blowin In The Wind" (pre PP&M's hit). They had already been written long before they made it to vinyl.

Everyone was totally gobsmacked, even though that wasn't a word yet in the states. Everyone was talking about Dylan filing out of the stadium rather than Baez. At the time, in retrospect, she must have realized that he was special & would steal her thunder, but at the time I figure she loved him so much she didn't care.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Haven't seen this one mentioned yet. Jordan Rudess at the Blackfield show in NYC a few months back, playing a searing iPad solo at the end of Cloudy Now. I was there for that; judging by the angle of this video, the guy who shot it must've been standing about ten feet to my left.

Sir Paul coming on stage to sing "Birthday' for Ringo on his 70th a few years ago; bunch of guests as part of the All-Starr Band to begin with.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Took my wife a few years ago to see Khaled in SF. He pulled Carlos Santana out to play guitar with him.

I didn't find this any less boring than Khaled without Santana...
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Doesn't quite qualify as special guest, but on the Speaking in a Tongues tour when Talking Heads morphed into The Tom Tom Club for a couple of songs that was a lot of fun.

I saw John Paul Jones join Steve Hackett at a gig in London in 2004. He played Los Endos on some shiny electric mandolin.

Non prog, and sorry but I'm forgetting the songs, I saw Alice Cooper come out and do a song with Lou Reed in Toronto 76-77ish, and Randy Bachman do a song with Neil Young in Vancouver 1989 and Chrissie Hynde do a song with Neil Y 2004. Saw Bowie on piano when he played in Iggy's band for a tour, again Toronto 76-77ish. I saw the road crew for Grapes of Wrath come out and play the hit song of the opening band before the opening band came on stage early 1990s.

Dave Grohl, Pat Smear & Krist Novoselic joined Paul McCartney on stage at the Seattle show last year and played that song they recorded together (Cut Me Some Slack) and then stayed for a few more tunes.

Hendrix's final performance was sitting in with Eric Burdon and War at Ronnie Scott's Club the night before he died. They played "Tobacco Road" and "Mother Earth."

Luckily, it was preserved on tape.

John Lennon's last-ever public performance was when he was invited by Elton John to join him on stage at MSG in '74. It was on a bet that "Whatever Gets You Through the Night" would make #1. It did, John lost the bet and they performed that song, along with "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" and "I Saw Her Standing There." This was at the end of John's Lost Weekend. Yoko was in the audience and, thereafter, took him back.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

^^^And it's captured on the two-disc version of Elton's second live album, "Here and There."
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

My fav is Ian Anderson with PFM

A few nights ago, David Gilmour joins the Bombay Bicycle Club at Earls Court-

Sounds like some licks from "Seamus" to end their tune.

RPWL had Ray Wilson as a guest at Rockpalast

Non-prog
    Haindling was joined by Chaka Kahn on a live-CD.

Eric Johnson plays with ZPZ whenever they come to Austin. Seen him pop in twice now.

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    Douglad (sic) Adams (rip) guested with Pink Floyd on guitar for his 42 birthday.
    Except I recall reading in one of the Pink Floyd books I have that his guitar wasn't actually plugged in. Adams and Gilmour were good friends, it was actually Douglas who suggested the album title The Division Bell, under the proviso that Dave make a donation to a charitable organization Douglas was involved in.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    I don't think i mentioned this one:

1983 at the Palladium Theater in NYC. Al DiMeola, Paco DeLucia, and John McGlaughlin (sic) were touring their magical show again and Steve Morse was the warm-up. He joined the boys for their encore. It was a tremendous show.
    I remember seeing an interview with Rik Emmett back in the mid 80's where he mentioned seeing that tour and that he actually like Morse's opening set than the headliners, because the other three guys got carried away with the "too many notes" style of playing, whereas Morse was apparently more restrained.

The Foo Fighters like to invite people on stage all the time. Here's Lifeson and Lee joining them for YYZ:

I also enjoyed it when Matthias of Anglagard joined GBS on stage at NF Apocalypse for "Island"...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-