Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Genesis: 10 of the best

Genesis: 10 of the best

http://www.theguardian.com/music/mus...10-of-the-best

Genesis: 10 of the best

From the prog epics of the Peter Gabriel era through to the Phil Collins pop years, here’s a foxtrot through of the best of one of Britain’s most enduring bands

Quite possibly the first decent article I have ever read in this (appalling) newspaper.
    Shame the usual ill-informed bell-ends feel the need to add their bollocks in the comments.

It's a well-written piece, though it is somewhat unforgivable that they glide right over what I consider to be the band's two best albums, A Trick of the Tail and Wind and Wuthering.

Quote Originally Posted by rael74 View Post
    Quite possibly the first decent article I have ever read in this (appalling) newspaper.
    Which British paper do you recommend? The Guardian isn't great, but I don't know any better.

I agree that this is a good article, a decent selection.

Wow. Cool. Although calling 'The Knife' the 'best' song on Trespass is to me like calling 'Illegal Alien' the best song on the s/t album. Oh well...

Shame the usual ill-informed bell-ends feel the need to add their bollocks in the comments.
    At least their readers have taste. Scroll down that link & there's a similar YES article. The readers top ten is more or less spot on, whilst the journalists is a bit dodgy!!!!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Wow. Cool. Although calling 'The Knife' the 'best' song on Trespass is to me like calling 'Illegal Alien' the best song on the s/t album. Oh well...
    Wow, I think Trespass is a great, early effort. I think you're in quite a minority.

That article is quite good - there's a good Kate Bush list too.

Thanks to the OP!

Suspended
    Those songs wouldn't be my top 10, but it's not a bad selection, except for The Knife, which I have never managed to like. I would have preferred White Mountain.

In the Cage is decent enough, but I'm surprised they didn't pick Carpet Crawlers, which is the song that seems to be most people's favourite from the Lamb.

I can agree with only 4 of those picks. The fact that Supper's Ready is not listed is laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    I can agree with only 4 of those picks. The fact that Supper's Ready is not listed is laughable.
    +1 (That should be #1!)
    'The smell of strange colours are heard everywhere'- Threshold

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer's ghost View Post
    +1 (That should be #1!)
    +2 - Definitely top 3 in my book.

the top 4 & #6 are definitely in my top 10. but no Supper's Ready????
    but as per post Gabriel, i agree about Abacab. but there are far better tracks then the other 3.

Suspended
    The Guardian deserve some respect for the fact that neither Invisible Touch nor I Can't Dance was in their list. That's a pleasant surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    The Guardian deserve some respect for the fact that neither Invisible Touch nor I Can't Dance was in their list. That's a pleasant surprise.
    And the mid 80s doldrums is represented by one of the few truly prog rock tracks on those albums. As someone in the comments said,

that was a commendably uncritical, surprisingly unsneering look at the band and their music
    There is hope.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Domino doesn't warrant a top 10 spot, hugely overrated, IMO. Not a bad list otherwise, generally speaking.

Those songs wouldn't be my top 10, but it's not a bad selection, except for The Knife, which I have never managed to like. I would have preferred White Mountain.

In the Cage is decent enough, but I'm surprised they didn't pick Carpet Crawlers, which is the song that seems to be most people's favourite from the Lamb.
    Agree with you about "Carpet Crawlers", but I prefer "Stagnation" from 'Trespass'.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    Agree with you about "Carpet Crawlers", but I prefer "Stagnation" from 'Trespass'.
    "Stagnation" is pretty decent too. I'd take Stagnation or White Mountain over The Knife.

The Guardian would have achieved immortal importance solely on its recent government surveillance reporting. Anyway, this is a typically good piece from a legendary publication.

Watcher of the Skies opens with a minute and a half of swirling mellotron,
    Prog review cliche win!

Actually there's a lot of prog Genesis on that list. However, those who are not biased towards prog(like we are)are inevitably going to include non prog stuff as well. If you ask most on PE to put out a top ten Genesis list very few if any would include anything past W&W and even fewer past Duke. I agree that the knife should not be number one though. My favorite on Trespass is Stagnation which didn't even make the list.

"Stagnation" is pretty decent too. I'd take Stagnation or White Mountain over The Knife.
    I'd take any song from Trespass over 'The Knife'. But yes 'Stagnation' would be my first pick too.

The only ones on that list that I would include in my personal Top 10 are "Watcher of the Skies" and "Firth of a Fifth." But we all have our tastes, don't we?!

What am I missing here? I always felt The Knife was the first perfect Genesis track. Trespass is a good record but The Knife is genius.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    What am I missing here? I always felt The Knife was the first perfect Genesis track. Trespass is a good record but The Knife is genius.
    Don't get me wrong, I do like 'The Knife', but compared to the sublime perfection of 'Stagnation', 'Dusk', 'Looking For Someone' and 'White Mountain', it suffers by comparison, to my ears. I suppose it could be that 'The Knife' is more straightforward, chordally basic, commercial sounding to me, not a bad thing at all, and in honestly will have more adherents than the more subtle, deeper chordally that those of us in the minority tend to gravitate more to.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I do like 'The Knife', but compared to the sublime perfection of 'Stagnation', 'Dusk', 'Looking For Someone' and 'White Mountain', it suffers by comparison, to my ears. I suppose it could be that 'The Knife' is more straightforward, chordally basic, commercial sounding to me, not a bad thing at all, and in honestly will have more adherents than the more subtle, deeper chordally that those of us in the minority tend to gravitate more to.
    My fave Trespass track is the only one you didn't mention - Visions of Angels
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/