Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Evidence of Autumn.... What do you listen to this time of year?

Evidence of Autumn.... What do you listen to this time of year?

Each September as the first hints of Autumn appear, I
    find myself gravitating towards mid-period Genesis.

There is something very Autumnal in both their music,
    lyrics, album covers and (dare I say it) 'fashion'
    from this (75-79) era, something that
    was prevalent in a lot of late 70's rock music.

In the same way that early 70's music could be associated
    with summer and more minimal textures (consider the prevalence
    of country rock in this era). The late 70's / early 80's
    (at least in England) can be typified by the political
    'winter of discontent': union strikes and mass unemployment.
    Lo-and-behold the music from this era likewise became colder,
    aggressive and less organic.

Anyway, before they come to take me away, below is a list of what
    Autumn related tracks I can think of:

Genesis - Evidence of Autumn (1979)
    Hammill - Autumn (1977)
    Jeff Wayne - Forever Autumn (1978)
    Hackett - Land of 1000 Autumns (1978)

Here in New England, we're in the middle of some very hot & humid weather, making it hard to break out my Autumn playlists.

But come October, Jade Warrior's Last Autumn Dream will kick things off.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Jethro Tull - Songs from the Wood

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Jethro Tull - Songs from the Wood
    There are specific references to May, Summer and Winter Solstice on this one, but to me it and also Heavy Horses and Stormwatch give off an autumnal vibe for some reason.

Maybe it's just because Tull tours always hit Boston in the Fall back in those days.

Renaissance - A Song for All Seasons. I wore it out one Fall back in the day (1981 maybe). To quote Andy Partridge "Autumn is royal, as spring is clown". SFAS will always be a very "royal" and Fall-ish sounding album to these ears. Absolutely love it, can't wait.

Ditto on Songs from the Wood

Autumn for me is 2 things...1st great albums I bought in September/October, and 2nd the ramp up to Halloween so I annually give a listen to:

Crimso : Starless & Bible Black, Lizard, USA (my 1st 3 Crimso albums all bought autumn 1977)
    Gentle Giant : Three Friends (bought Sept 1978)
    Yes : CttE (my 1st Yes album bought Sept 1975)
    Pulsar - Halloween (for obvious reasons)
    Devil Doll - Eliogabulas (my 1st Devil Doll album bought October early 90's)
    Bach - Toccata and Fugue in D minor (duh)
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

Actually, I forgot BJH's Octoberon and Keith Tippett's Septober Energy.
    Both garbage, but there you go.

Quote Originally Posted by rael74 View Post
    The late 70's / early 80's
    (at least in England) can be typified by the political
    'winter of discontent': union strikes and mass unemployment.
    Lo-and-behold the music from this era likewise became colder,
    aggressive and less organic.
    This is not an accurate account of 1970s English history. The early 70s were full of political strife.

Also music in England in the late 70s was very diverse. Of course there was punk and its influence, but I think the musical response to punk was a response to punk, not to the political climate.

Quote Originally Posted by rael74 View Post
    Actually, I forgot BJH's Octoberon and Keith Tippett's Septober Energy.
    Both garbage, but there you go.
    Centipede - Septober Energy ---- I really wanted to like that sucker but I think it just turns into a lot of jibberish - so many people I like are all over it but I think it fell victim to too many talents in one place.

in early Autumn, when its still sunny and mild, the best one for me, one of my favorite songs of all time is in fact:

'Evidence of Autumn'. Wind & Wuthering also works well, as does 'Geese & The Ghost', and 'Songs From The Wood'. As autumn progresses, other Ant Phillips music works well for me, as does Advent, Big Big Train, Bo Hansson, and eventually, when its perpetually cloudy, Hatfield & The North.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Umm...Mostly Autumn? Sorry, couldn't resist.

I think autumn is a little overrated as a season. If you're asked what your favourite season is, you're supposed to say 'autumn' if you have any aspiration to sensitivity.

Songs From the Wood seems like an appropriate album, but then again, is it not also appropriate for winter? And what's that about 'roses filled with summer rain?'

Autumn is my favourite time of year, but that hasn't happened yet here in Southern Ontario. It's hot and humid, and this coming Friday is slated to be the hottest day of the year (it IS still Summer for three more weeks). But once October hits, I'm all about the Jethro Tull. Heavy Horses is a favourite during the autumn. I love walking outdoors and listening to it, especially around the early evening. Ahhh, can't wait!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I've never really listened to certain albums during each season although Max Webster is something I usually will spin in the spring reminding me that summer at the beach is just around the corner, but I didn't listen to them this year so...maybe I should start some sort of tradition. Swedish melancholy would be just the ticket in late fall wouldn't it?
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

chalkpie
    Mahler
    Schoenberg
    a shitload of renaissance and medieval music
    and maybe a bluegrass album or two

My listening habits don't tend to change as the seasons do. But if you are looking for more autumn themed music, Autumn by the Strawbs and Autumn by Edgar Winter Group come to mind. Also, September by Earth Wind and Fire (I don't particularly care for that song but it fits the thread).

Spock’s Beard’s “Ghosts Of Autumn” is a favorite tune of mine. Not all that well known, but a great little tune.

Also, Fleetwood Mac’s “Hypnotized” always makes me think of fall for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Spock’s Beard’s “Ghosts Of Autumn” is a favorite tune of mine. Not all that well known, but a great little tune.
    Probably my favourite post-Neal SB song. That middle section is like something straight off A Trick Of The Tail. Beautiful track.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Does anyone know the post-Enid band Come September? They were unlucky to have existed in 1991, in between the early 80s progressive rock revival (now known as neo-prog), and the more substantial internet-based revival of late 90s onwards.

In Indian classical music, certain ragas are meant to be played at specific times of the day(morning, evening afternoon, late night),and at certain seasons.Two autumn ragas are Malkauns and Puriya Dhaneshree.

Hariprasad Chaurasia(bansuri-bamboo flute) plays improvisations on Raga Malkauns.

Last edited by walt; 09-04-2014 at 02:03 PM.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Suspended
    It's spring here, not autumn - but I don't think my listening habits change much with the seasons. Possibly I might be more inclined to listen to The Beach Boys in the middle of summer than on a cold winter's day, but that's about it.

I tend to gravitate towards the sepia-toned Scandinavian music mentioned in the thread going by that name. Bands like Dungen, The Amazing, Anekdoten, Anglagard... Steve Wilson's music also fits in well with this time of the year. I also tend to indulge more in roots music from various parts of the world...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

It changes from year to year, this year it looks like Haken - The Mountain and Opeth - Pale Communion are going to be fall favorites.

...but that doesn't mean I won't spin The Geese And The Ghost a couple of times.
    "The Bill of Rights says nothing about the freedom of hearing. This, of course, takes a lot of the fun out of the freedom of speech." - Pat Paulsen

My Art- http://www.facebook.com/williamallenrenfro -My Life

There is a minor tendency towards more melancolly stuff...

Ske - 1000 autunni