Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Evidence of Autumn.... What do you listen to this time of year?

Sigur Ros is also another excellent autumn band.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Mostly autumn

“One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.”

Many, many things cross my path in autumn, but because of a project I am working on, one that may ultimately take up the next couple years, I am listening to the broadest cross-section of progressive music I've ever done, from the 1968 album by Touch that apparently was an inspiration to an aspiring Yes, to more contemporary fare like Pain of Salvation and, a new one for me that I am liking very much, Haken.

But one thing I do listen to a lot in the fall when I have time to just listen for total, well, fun isn't exactly the right word, is the Dowland Project, which has to date released four albums on ECM, with the music of 16th century songsmith Dowland interpreted by a marvellous group that has had some shifts over the years, but always seems to include singer John Potter (whose collaboration with Ambrose Field a few years ago, Being Dufay, was one of the most adventurous interpretations of centuries old music I've ever heard) and saxophonist/clarinetist John Surman, magically weaving stricter compositional structures with the kind of empathic and intuitive interpretive engagement that Surman simply does so very, very well.

It's dark, moody but still tremendously beautiful music that, in its grey toned and melancholic substances, seems perfectly designed for the onset of fall with changing leaves, cooling temperatures and more dramatic cloud cover.

They're all good, too, so it's difficult to recommend any single recording. Just buy the first one your finger -virtual or otherwise - finds its way to, and go from there. If classical music blended with improvisational excursions is something they doesn't scare you away, perhaps you'll be as entranced by this music as I am.

Not to put a downer on this thread, but it's still in the upper 90's every day here. We might start feeling a little chill by Thanksgiving. In any case, I've never listened to music based on the seasons. My main listening habits year round are almost wholly based on the best new releases.

If I were to pick something for fall, though, it might be Anekdoten.

Damn it fall

Cold Sun - Fall

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie B View Post
    This subject has come up a few times and Wind & Wuthering always gets mentioned - but is there anything autumnal about it apart from the cover?
    Yes, all of the music!

The whole album has a huge autumnal wind, (often a gale) flowing through it.
    The lush romance and sweeping, epic scale of the album perfectly compliments this season.
    It is no co-incidence that the title and cover especially are what they are.

The mood of the album I feel is most typified by Blood On The Rooftops,
    perhaps (After Dance On A Volcano) the bands best post PG track?

Maybe it's something about living in England, but Rooftops and the album as a whole have a haunting,
    almost medieval, beauty to it. It creates a cosy, warmth and comfort like a crackling fire on a cold autumn night.