Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sloche

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I figure there'd have been a serious attempt made at getting them to play here if there'd been a chance. Possibly opening for an international band Steve has promoted in recent years...
    If there was ever a choice event for that, it would've been at release time of their albums
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I'd still be curious about a one-day event featuring solely those artists on your label that can and would play live.
    Just so it's clear (and I know this is really just a wording thing), I am just a valued alumnus at this point. Nothing I ever say should be construed as representing anything Stephen thinks 8^).

That out of the way, my thoughts is that it could be tough sledding to do something like that. Based on the likely draw you'd have to keep the costs down, and a number of the outfits that could be signed are not active bands but are professional musicians who get together, rehearse, and perform a show if hired to do so.

I think the closest things we have right now to "ProgQuebec bands" would be the Conventum Trio who almost opened for Echolyn, and the Molignak band if they are all brought together. That Molignak band was probably the closest we'll ever get to a Maneige reunion because Alain Bergeron and Yves Leonard are effectively out of music. I forget the story on Vincent Langlois, but he either has been out of music or doesn't want to perform right now. So you had Jerome, Gilles, and Paul Picard, and then add Francois Richard and Mario Legare to make up for Bergeron/Leonard, and add Bernard Cormier on violin... it was really as "70s Quebec prog" as we could have hoped to get.

We also could POSSIBLY have gotten Morse Code at one point but health issues got in the way of that coming to fruition.

I think Stephen's strategy of having a Quebec group open for a more known group is the right one.

There where some rumors about new Albums by Contraction and Charles Kaczynski last year, what happend to those?

Thanks Sean.... Just a little wishful thinking on my part as I know that "Je Me Souviens" is merely something on our license plates, not in our hearts and minds. I'd venture that 95% of Québecois have never heard any of the artists on your label. I know this because on St-Jean Baptiste I play Québecois music in my yard and my neighbours have no clue about 75% of the music they are hearing. I spent my teenage years here (early 80s) and I hadn't heard of any of the bands on your label except VEBB. I discovered them through writing reviews of the stuff you sent me. So try selling THAT to a local audience! You'd have to book an outdoor show with Premier Ciel as your headliner then slip in some of your bands on the undercard.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

I am a big booster of both the Sloche LPs. Based on others’ recommendations, I bought them sound unheard and they quickly grew to be favourites. I wish I remembered who to thank for introducing me to them! The closest I’ve heard to a non-Canterbury band coming to the spirit of those first two National Health albums.

RE: Quebec bands that haven’t been mentioned before: L’Orient d’Ô. They have a kind of synth-heavy prog sound and I seem to be the only one who likes them very much. Oh well. Speaking of “synth-heavy,” there’s that Moog-slathered first Eclipse LP, which is the most bizarre mix of hard-hitting space-prog and bouncy Francophone pop! I haven’t heard their second album (Night and Day, on Casablanca), but apparently it sucks (unsurprisingly).
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Yves, I appreciate how you always supported us. If we had another 500 or so of you, we could have done some cooler things. As it is, no complaints.

I think the first album is a good star better than the second album. The compositions are just cooler

Did anyone ever actually attempt to reissue that Pangee Hymnemonde thing? Next to Miriodor, Interference Sardines and Rouge Ciel they are one of the truly fine post-70s Quebecois progressive groups to my ear.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post
    Yves, I appreciate how you always supported us. If we had another 500 or so of you, we could have done some cooler things. As it is, no complaints.
    If you'd had 500 of me there might still be an FMPM. Of course, the seats would all be empty for Knight Area and Magenta!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Here’s what the first Eclipse album sounds like (in its better moments):

There’s a couple of tracks of the second album up, too. Predictably, they’re lame, including a synth-disco version of the Kinks’ “You Really Got Me”
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Arnold View Post
    I was going to ask those who have both albums, if you were to recommend one of them to someone who wanted to take the Sloche plunge, which of their two would you choose? I'd like to pick up one at some point, and if there is a clear favourite, I'll go with it. - - thanks! - -
    Finally took the plunge! Stadacone was available for a good price so I snagged it. And...love it! Not a dud on the (albeit short) album. I particularly like Isacaaron, the eleven minute closer. This frenetic yet controlled piece doesn't stay put for long with their being multiple change-ups. Like a great quilt, it all works well together. Unless my ears deceive me, I hear some Gentle Giant influences too.

I'll have to keep my eyes open for their debut.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Arnold View Post
    Finally took the plunge! Stadacone was available for a good price so I snagged it. And...love it! Not a dud on the (albeit short) album. I particularly like Isacaaron, the eleven minute closer. This frenetic yet controlled piece doesn't stay put for long with their being multiple change-ups. Like a great quilt, it all works well together. Unless my ears deceive me, I hear some Gentle Giant influences too.

I'll have to keep my eyes open for their debut.
    Cool man... I really love the first one - more than the second probably. Hope you find a nice copy of that.