Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I Feel Bad for ISIS (The Band)

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Even more exciting things have been achieved within the post-metal idiom since then, though.
    Any specific recommendations? I'd be interested in more good music of this style.

The trick with post-metal is that it is (IMHO) about as easy to nail down as post rock, or progressive rock for that matter.

Personally, I consider the last full length from Cult of Luna (called Vertikal) to be a flat-out masterpiece. The last Altar of Plagues was quite cool too.

Edit: legit album stream from the label, on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8-p...NzDcOG2iE1LDYu
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I remember the thrash metal band Anthrax went through this B.S post 911. They made it through ok, ISIS (the band) will be ok as well.

Excellent band.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jowallan lid View Post
    I remember the thrash metal band Anthrax went through this B.S post 911. They made it through ok, ISIS (the band) will be ok as well.
    Anthrax WAS named after the disease, so what did they expect ?

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Never heard of them, but the "all girl" horn rock band of the same name in the early 70s weren't half bad.
    Yeah, that was a good album indeed. I'm revisiting it more often than any of the metal ISIS.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    They can keep the name, but pronounce it iz-iz.
    Do we need to feel bad for IZZ?

Iran now has a young ISIS generation
    Phil Collins ruined Gen ISIS.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Iran now has a young ISIS generation
    Actually, Shiah Iran are mortal enemies of the Sunni IS. Not that it matters much either way.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I hope no one in the band loses their head being confused with ISIS.

Actually, Shiah Iran are mortal enemies of the Sunni IS. Not that it matters much either way.
    Yeah, I'm not even sure what country ISIS's spiderhole is based in - I haven't been paying much attention to the Two Minutes Hate lately.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I'm not even sure what country ISIS's spiderhole is based in
    They renounce the very concept of "country" or "nation", claiming true adherence of consciousness can only be to the earthly caliphat under "God", which is apparently one of the reasons even the wahabbis of Saudi-Arabia, the Taliban and Al-Quaida are actively denouncing them.

Their extremity transcends empirical logic; not even the Algerian GIA were as perversely brutal as the IS.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Waiting to see what Cozy is gonna post before he bonks this thread on the head......
    Last edited by Vic2012; 09-06-2014 at 07:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Never heard of them, but the "all girl" horn rock band of the same name in the early 70s weren't half bad. Don't know any groups called ISIL, though.....
    I’ll also boost the female brass-rockers. Debut is a monster. Ain’t No Backin’ Up Now is funky but still appealing (with a side written and produced by Allen Toussaint!). But beware, Breaking Through sucks worse than anything you can imagine, and is to be avoided.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Argh. IS are the worst MFs out there since the bloody Khmer Rouge and the Argentinian death squads, and there's a lot of discourse on them here in Norway nowadays, due to the proportionally high numbers of Norwegian islamist radicals that have joined their purpoted "struggle" and even reached the highs of its hierarchy.

What a bunch of asshole wankers.

I caught ISIS at a festival some ten years back, and they were alright and admittedly way better than their alleged mentors Neurosis. Even more exciting things have been achieved within the post-metal idiom since then, though.
    Those scumbags should praise Allah they were allowed to step foot into Norway-a virtual heaven on earth that doesn't allow in outsiders very easily i.e. they have a reasonable immigration policy-unlike us in the US

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Yeah, that was a good album indeed. I'm revisiting it more often than any of the metal ISIS.
    I actually came across that all-girl horny rock album this very afternoon! Is it worth a buy, Spyros?

I actually came across that all-girl horny rock album this very afternoon! Is it worth a buy, Spyros?
    If it’s the first album, get it without hesitation. If it’s Breaking Through (the one with the chicken hatching from the egg on the cover), leave the damn thing to rot.

I feel sorry for ISIS the terrorist group, because:

"Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Argh. IS are the worst MFs out there
    Listen, those of us in Information Services are doing the best we can, lay off! Most problems turn out to be PEBKACs anyway!

(For those not in IS, the acronym stands for "problem exists between keyboard and chair")

Get only their 1974 debut. Tight funky rythm section, great guitar, excellent vocals. Lots of horns as well. The songwriting is not that exceptional but if you can find a mint LP at a reasonable price (lower than 25 euros), give it a try.

Best track of the album for me as we speak...

Last edited by spacefreak; 09-15-2014 at 07:25 AM.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Listen, those of us in Information Services are doing the best we can, lay off! Most problems turn out to be PEBKACs anyway!
    (For those not in IS, the acronym stands for "problem exists between keyboard and chair")
    I prefer PICNIC. Problem in chair, not in computer.

Get only their 1974 debut. Tight funky rythm section, great guitar, excellent vocals. Lots of horns as well. The songwriting is not that exceptional but if you can find a mint LP at a reasonable price (lower than 25 euros), give it a try.
    I have the CD, which for some reason was retitled 2nd Coming and didn’t have the distinctive Jon Stevens cover art. This was the version I believe was being sold by Carole MacDonald herself for a while (obviously when she was still alive). I had to go through some kind of “womyn’s music” catalogue to get it, but it was worth it. Ain’t No Backin’ Up Now is worth it for the Allen Toussaint songs (“Gold” really ought to be a freaking pop music standard!) and “Bobbi & Maria,” a sort of sassy lesbian love tune which Buddah was amazingly promoting as the album’s single!

Best track of the album for me as we speak...

Unquestionably. Suzy Ghezzi is a tragically underrated guitarist, a pity she seemed to abandon music after this.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I have the CD, which for some reason was retitled 2nd Coming and didn’t have the distinctive Jon Stevens cover art. This was the version I believe was being sold by Carole MacDonald herself for a while (obviously when she was still alive). I had to go through some kind of “womyn’s music” catalogue to get it, but it was worth it.
    I once saw a japanese CD reissue (probably in 2008), though I can't remember on which label. Your typical miniLP sleeve with the original artwork. Must be pretty rare nowadays, considering that most releases from Japan are very limited...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I once saw a japanese CD reissue (probably in 2008), though I can't remember on which label. Your typical miniLP sleeve with the original artwork. Must be pretty rare nowadays, considering that most releases from Japan are very limited...
    All three are available as digital downloads from the usual suspects (Amazon, iTunes, etc.). But I believe only the first has ever been reissued on physical media.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    All three are available as digital downloads from the usual suspects (Amazon, iTunes, etc.). But I believe only the first has ever been reissued on physical media.
    I have seen all three listed as Japanese limited edition, cardboard-sleeve CD reissues from 2007 - 2008. Have not seen the actual releases and have no idea of their legitimacy or actual current availability.