Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Major Parkinson - superb discovery

Quote Originally Posted by alanterrill View Post
    That was fabulous -what a lot of work must have gone into that. I'd love to know the story behind it.
    Solitary Home (The Hollywood Tapes) is the unlikely marriage of Los Alamitos Sound FX, the most successful show choir in the United States, and Norwegian cult band Major Parkinson. It’s the sound of a horde of California teenagers singing and dancing their way through a strange labyrinth of changing time and key signatures, in this completely new incarnation of a classic Major Parkinson track.

Music by Major Parkinson
    Arrangement by Josh Greene
    Choir directed by David Moellenkamp & Moana Dherlin, assisted by Cara Jennings, accompanied by Eddy Clement
    Choreography: April James
    Live video performance recorded at Organ County Convention Center Chapin Theater
    Video production by Haakon Sundry
    Produced by Major Parkinson

Studio recordings from Sphere Studios Los Angeles, Duper Studio & Degaton Studios
    Mixed by Yngve Leidulv Sætre
    Engineered by Ross Hogarth & Major Parkinson

Lead vocals: Sara Michelle Mislang
    Bass: Eivind Gammersvik
    Piano: Lars Christian Bjørknes
    Guitar: Øystein Bech-Eriksen
    Drums: Sondre Veland
    Violin: Claudia Cox
    Cello: Carmen Bóveda
    Synths: Josh Greene
    Accordion: Heine Bugge
    Saxophone: Morten Norheim
    Trumpet: William Grøv Skramsett
    Xylophone: Nathaniel Hjønnevåg
    Tuba: Gunleik Gisletveit
    Trombone: Emilie Synnøve Liknes

Los Alamitos Sound FX 2018 (Choir):
    Anaya, Mariano
    Annis, Abigail
    Biddle, Alexandra
    Byrd, Natalie
    Chamberlain, KC
    Ciardelli, Caitlin
    Ciardelli, Kevin
    Davidson, Justin
    DeLeon, Blake
    Duncan, Kieren
    Farfan, Blake
    Gonzalez, Alexandria
    Guenther, Quinn
    Iturbe, Andy
    Jakubowski, Jessica
    Ketcham, Duke
    Kim, Kai
    Kim, Noah
    Kiner, Mitchell
    Koford, Blake
    Kwalk, Josh
    Lopez, Liliana
    Lotts, Keenan
    Lotts, Reese
    Luyben, Alexis
    MacLeod, Tess
    Malloy, Samantha
    McClure, Mikaela
    McKenzie, Macy
    Mislang, Sara
    Munson, Jack
    Naremore, Julian
    Olson, Andrew
    Pei, Emily
    Pendleton, James
    Pisani, Teresa
    Quiroz, Kayla
    Rasmussen, Lauren
    Reed, Anthony
    Rodriguez, Cameron
    Rodriguez, Rachel
    Salter, Ethan
    Salter, Jacob
    Schiffer, Zachary
    Smith, Ethan
    Smith, Lauren
    Smith, Phoebe
    Smitson, Cameron
    Sorenson, Jillian
    Tolosa, Mikaela
    Ungaro, Julia
    Velazquez, Damian
    Vida, Alec
    Wackerman, Sophia
    Weber, Taylor
    Woyshner, Evan
    Wright, Daniel
    Young, Abigail
    Ringor, Zoe (swing)
    Roberts, Mava (swing)

When I listen to "Blackbox", I always have a feeling that it has something in common with David Lynch's films (in particular, Twin Peaks: The Return).

When I wrote about this on their Facebook page (under the photo geotagged "Mulholland Drive"), some of the band members "liked" it, so maybe it's not just another weird connection between my own neurons.

Does anyone else have a similar feeling when listening to this album?
    Last edited by daerzo; 08-19-2020 at 07:50 AM.

bump.

New live album "A Night at the Library" released today.

https://majorparkinson.bandcamp.com/...at-the-library

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    bump.

New live album "A Night at the Library" released today.

https://majorparkinson.bandcamp.com/...at-the-library
    Thanks for the heads-up. Wish though they have released it on DVD or Blu-ray as well. As the saying goes "seeing is believing," ... not literally of course but it adds another dimension to the music. Missed the live stream of it but kudos to the band for posting this concert on You Tube. Love it, great performance

"Confusion Will Be My Epitaph"

new album completed, expected in the Fall.

https://www.facebook.com/majorparkin...URj24kqJdabs3l

Are you sitting down for this? Our new album is DONE! It's literally done. Without saying too much about the insanely long and arduous journey it's taken us on since we started the process in the early days of 2018 – and all the things that have happened in between – we'd just like to give immense, heartfelt shoutouts and thanks to the two gentlemen named Anders Bjelland and Matias Tellez. These fine people have been patiently nudging tiny buttons and levers to help us sonically nurture this thing into existence during the past few months, and what a job they have done. It sounds amazing. So take a minute, close your eyes and send some imaginary and very non-poisonous butterflies in their general direction.
    And while you have your eyes closed, try to imagine how good it sounds! It's hard, right? That's because you haven't heard any of the music yet. But you will – This FALL! More info about a crowdfunding campaign, exact release date, concerts and other fun stuff coming soon ..
    PS: The final picture in this series show that we made something like this exact post on THIS EXACT DATE, exactly 5 years ago, when Blackbox was finally finished. Complete coincidence. But it gives us even more reason to believe that we are being programmed by ambivalent supercomputers.

That song is a monster. I have the live from the Library I think it's called and that song just moves me man. Love the whole album though and again the singer has such character to his voice.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

New to me, but I'm digging it.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid...95278428668677

🟠 𝗩𝗔𝗟𝗘𝗦𝗔 🟠 𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗜: 𝗩𝗘𝗟𝗩𝗘𝗧 𝗣𝗥𝗜𝗦𝗢𝗡 🟠 𝗢𝗖𝗧𝗢𝗕𝗘𝗥 𝟳, 𝟮𝟬𝟮𝟮 🟠

Major Parkinson valesa.jpg

Orcopian
    Really looking forward to seeing the band this Friday night at the summers end festival in Chepstow.

They're from Bergen, where I grew up. And they're a solid live attraction too, having their big break on winning the Eggstock rock championship (Norwegian: 'talentiade') back in 2003. That rather silly event itself was initially instigated by a bandmate of mine from the late 1980s, Sveinung S., who was incidentally also former best bud of one Varg Vikernes.

Parkinson's frontman/singer Jon Ivar Kollbotn recently came down with cardiac arrest immediately following a performance, although he's only 41. When I saw them at the John Dee Club here in Oslo in 2012, his demeanour was so trance that he actually flew off the edge of the stage in pure excitement and almost landed directly on his face. If that was part of the act, the guy's convincing coordination skills seem pretty stuntman-like.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    They're from Bergen, where I grew up. And they're a solid live attraction too, having their big break on winning the Eggstock rock championship (Norwegian: 'talentiade') back in 2003. That rather silly event itself was initially instigated by a bandmate of mine from the late 1980s, Sveinung S., who was incidentally also former best bud of one Varg Vikernes.

Parkinson's frontman/singer Jon Ivar Kollbotn recently came down with cardiac arrest immediately following a performance, although he's only 41. When I saw them at the John Dee Club here in Oslo in 2012, his demeanour was so trance that he actually flew off the edge of the stage in pure excitement and almost landed directly on his face. If that was part of the act, the guy's convincing coordination skills seem pretty stuntman-like.
    you have some cool (?) friends' friends

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid...95278428668677

�� ������������ �� �������������� ��: ������������ ������������ �� �������������� ��, �������� ��

Major Parkinson valesa.jpg
    I heard this on YT, and am impressed. It's ... "different", and different is good. I'll get this album.

Which others are worth exploring? Google seems to think they have a pretty thin backlog.
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    I heard this on YT, and am impressed. It's ... "different", and different is good. I'll get this album.

Which others are worth exploring? Google seems to think they have a pretty thin backlog.
    Well that depends on your tastes -I loved Blackbox but don't like this new one. For me, Blackbox and Twilight Cinema are the best, with the first two being more noisy and I only like a couple of tracks from each. They are all on Bandcamp, so you can listen before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    you have some cool (?) friends' friends
    https://www.progressiveears.org/foru...light=vikernes

You know 'em. And y'all -DO- know about his 'einsatzgruppen' who've effectively also infiltrated this place before and out-of-the-blue posted me friend requests although the signature shows no (zero!) postings but still reeks of overt interest in access to my accounts and domain? I still keep their pitiful messages in my inbox, so that's certainly grating. It's because of the topic I handled academically, you see - in which a few jews were resolutely feigned off the face of the Earth. 'Cause according to ol' Varg the whole deal is a manichaeic one between the true and the wrong spirit of origins in human standing, pointing good to bad and defining along a trajectory which he's not even equipped to fully quite "get" seeing as he doesn't know what it means to neither read nor know nor know not to give impressions that he does. That's what mere trivial histrionic as well as antisocial personality disorder renders you if you've also got other genetic omission issues and so can't truly relate.

What a complete tupperware toupée-floppatophat dollop prop.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

https://www.instagram.com/p/CkQXyMEqKrE/

Singer Jon Ivar Kollbotn had Heart Attack last Saturday.

Get Well Jon!

majorparkinson
    If you were in the crowd at Vulkan Arena last Saturday you may have noticed that Jon was struggling physically, walking on and off stage towards the end of the show, and not coming out for encores in usual fashion. A lot of people have been concerned, so we want to shed some light on the situation now and inform that the discomfort Jon was feeling was actually a massive heart attack. He tried to play through the pain, and managed to finish the concert, but after the last song he collapsed backstage and flatlined. An episode of this severity has a very low survival rate. But crew and band members were at hand to help immediately and call the emergency services. And due to an unrelated incident (a guardian angel troublemaker), police officers were already present outside the venue, so within minutes trained personnel were able to start treatment. All our love and gratitude at this point go to these near-divine beings of our emergency services – without the work that you do this post could have been quite different. We won’t go into detail on the events, but Jon was taken to the hospital and has gotten the best possible treatment by the best possible people.

The long road to recovery has started, but Jon is ahead of schedule - awake, on his feet, and most importantly, he is lucid and his usual morbid and dark-humored self. At this stage, there is no telling how long this will take, and we will all need to have a lot of patience in this process. But both Jon, his family and we have high hopes for a full recovery – and a return to the stage – in time. He has plenty of quality literature to keep him occupied, as you can see. He tells us to say hi and thank you to all the people who have expressed concern in the past few days.

And so, for obvious reasons, the shows at @usf.verftet and @spillestedetstengade have been postponed until further notice. While clearly this isn't the way any of us wanted the release tour to end, sometimes you are stopped in your tracks by greater powers. We love you and hope that we'll be able to see you again soon!
    @periii.winkle @teslacoilkid @sondrumsn @gompee @hanlarsz @esnalabu @moronpolicehq @jonenesse @robinaas @technicolorblueskies

https://www.progressiveears.org/foru...light=vikernes

You know 'em. And y'all -DO- know about his 'einsatzgruppen' who've effectively also infiltrated this place before and out-of-the-blue posted me friend requests although the signature shows no (zero!) postings but still reeks of overt interest in access to my accounts and domain? I still keep their pitiful messages in my inbox, so that's certainly grating. It's because of the topic I handled academically, you see - in which a few jews were resolutely feigned off the face of the Earth. 'Cause according to ol' Varg the whole deal is a manichaeic one between the true and the wrong spirit of origins in human standing, pointing good to bad and defining along a trajectory which he's not even equipped to fully quite "get" seeing as he doesn't know what it means to neither read nor know nor know not to give impressions that he does. That's what mere trivial histrionic as well as antisocial personality disorder renders you if you've also got other genetic omission issues and so can't truly relate.

What a complete tupperware toupée-floppatophat dollop prop.
    That's a very interesting thread you're quoting there Richard, and Spyros' comment there is also very enlightening. He has given me a couple of really funny stories from these times - I would love to just sit in a corner and listen to you both exchanging your experiences (of course you were a much closer witness).

Being mentally deranged and at the same time narcissistic and a bastard is a horrific combination.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post

For starters and for albums other than the new one go for Twilight Cinema and Blackbox.

But pretty much everything they have put out is interesting. Their bandcamp website is the one to explore there:
    https://majorparkinson.bandcamp.com/music

Do not miss their live concerts available on YT. Their Live at Ricks is basically the whole Twilight Cinema plus. A Night at the Library has been already posted in this thread but will include in here as well. Both are great. In spite of the recent sad news hope they will continue, although, watching these videos one can imagine how exhausting these concerts must have been, especially for the vocalist. Hope he is doing well.

"Confusion Will Be My Epitaph"

Quote Originally Posted by alanterrill View Post
    Well that depends on your tastes -I loved Blackbox but don't like this new one. For me, Blackbox and Twilight Cinema are the best, with the first two being more noisy and I only like a couple of tracks from each. They are all on Bandcamp, so you can listen before you buy.
    Quote Originally Posted by PCMusic View Post
    For starters and for albums other than the new one go for Twilight Cinema and Blackbox.

But pretty much everything they have put out is interesting. Their bandcamp website is the one to explore there:
    https://majorparkinson.bandcamp.com/music

Do not miss their live concerts available on YT. Their Live at Ricks is basically the whole Twilight Cinema plus. A Night at the Library has been already posted in this thread but will include in here as well. Both are great. In spite of the recent sad news hope they will continue, although, watching these videos one can imagine how exhausting these concerts must have been, especially for the vocalist. Hope he is doing well.
    Thanks for the recommendations!
    Regards,

Duncan

I'm glad you relayed this about Jon Ivar being trance-like on stage because I felt when listening to him between some of the songs on the live A Night At The Library that he was in another place. I'm thinking is this an act or is he actually so caught up in the emotion? Doesn't really matter because the guy is an incredible performer and that voice!
    Can't say the new one Valesa is doing much for me as they've gone all synth-pop and disco on us. Some old school stuff too like "Jonah" that was introduced on that A Night At The Library, it's here as a studio version. Not as good as the live one in my opinion.
    Funny the sheet of paper that was sent with the promo copy I have from Apollon Records saying "For fans of Cardiacs, Arcade Fire". Now there's one song on here Moma that is like a Cardiacs cover that's how much they sound like them, one song though. I'll qoute Jon Ivar on this album... "Synth anthems set in a disco of nuclear anxiety."
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten