Thread: Your favourite of these Marillion 'Rockers'?

Your favourite of these Marillion 'Rockers'?

Am currently on a Marillion 'live' album binge & forgot how good some of their 'rockers' where. There are four tracks in particular that more or less have the same vibe & believe where usually played as encores to 'whip' up the crowd. I admit there's a lot of Hogarth era albums I have not heard but they seem to have lost this fun side of their music as far as I am aware?
    The four songs I'm alluding to of which I think are all great but in order of my preference are :

1.Assassin
    2.Incommunicado
    3.Market Square Heroes
    4.Hooks in You

Does your order of preference differ to mine & do you miss this 'rockier' side to their music?

My favorite is the version of Assassing they played at Reading in 1983. Much better than the recorded arrangement IMO.

I'm that rare Marillion fan that actually likes "Hooks in You," so my order goes like this:

1. Hooks in You
    2. Assassing
    3. Incommunicado
    4. Market Square Heroes.

And no, they haven't "lost this fun side of their music." They usually do one "more upbeat" song per album.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

1. Assassing
    2. Market Square Heroes.
    3. Hooks in You
    4. Incommunicado

Incommunicado
    Market Square Heroes
    Assassing
    Hooks In You

What, no Uninvited Guest or This Town?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

The version of Market Square Heroes on Real to Reel is the winner for me
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

Quote Originally Posted by WytchCrypt View Post
    The version of Market Square Heroes on Real to Reel is the winner for me
    ^^^Defo the best version!

Though not their song, Margaret was a killer encore!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    My order for the tracks in the OP is probably the same. I do like Hooks.

Sometimes it's hard to know which tracks qualify for this. I love The Damage.

"Separated Out" is one of my faves among their rockers!

Well for those four songs, I'd rank them:

Assassing
    Market Square Heroes (the real one, not the "battle priest" version)
    Incommunicado
    Hooks In You

... but I'd like to throw in:

Hard As Love
    Under The Sun
    The Answering Machine
    This Town
    Cannibal Surf Babe
    Deserve
    Drilling Holes
    Between You And Me
    The Release

... all good little rockers from the Marillos.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Everything on Real to Real is better than any of the studio versions.

Except the awkward gaps between sections during Forgotton Sons while Fish was doing something or other on stage

Quote Originally Posted by bigjohnwayne View Post
    Everything on Real to Real is better than any of the studio versions.
    IMO:
    Emerald Lies (which wasn't on the vinyl but is on the CD) isn't…(and this is not to say I agree about the rest of the songs).
    For example, in that track:
    -- the instruments leave the opening of the song much emptier than on the studio version very noticeably (the band simply didn't produce very well the atmosphere of the opening)
    -- the overall drum performance (if I remember correctly). There's a lot to this song in terms of dynamics and drums.
    -- there are also several calm parts with only little instrumentation on top of the vocals and the overall atmospheres and delivery of those parts simply worked out better in the studio, probably because they had time on their hands and it was a more controlled environment.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Apparently Real to Reel has a load of overdubs...not that there's anything wrong with it (in this case)!

1. Market Square Heroes.
    2. Assassing
    3. Hooks in You
    4. Incommunicado

I've never real thought of Incommunicado as a "rocker"

Count me as one of the Marillion fans that never warmed up to "Hooks in You".....for me it always felt forced and out of place. As far as the OP's list, I'd put those four songs in the same order, but I don't see "Assassing" as being in the same category as the other songs. I find that to be a very dense, serious song (much like the album it came from) that is almost the polar opposite of something like "Hooks in You".

Assasing.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I don't particularly like any of the four despite being a big Marillion fan. Some of Brave is pretty rocky.

Don't forget "An Accidental Man," a really nice tune from the often-overlooked "This Strange Engine."
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I don't particularly like any of the four despite being a big Marillion fan. Some of Brave is pretty rocky.
    It's been a while since I heard Brave but can't remember any upbeat Rockers on it??

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    It's been a while since I heard Brave but can't remember any upbeat Rockers on it??
    Do revisit. Note Paper Lies and Hard As Love. Marillion doesn't have it more rockier.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Well, judging by some other threads, you're firmly in favour of the Fish era - so not much point quarrelling about that.
    There are certainly two up-tempo rocky numbers on Brave, but I happen to think they're the weak bits (if you listen to the tracks in isolation, rather than in context - in which they work rather better).
    But my favourite Marillion "rock" numbers are 'This Town', 'Under the sun', 'The Answering Machine', 'Separated Out', 'Between You and Me', etc. I'm sure you get the gist...

If I'm talking exclusively about the Fish era, then I suppose 'Incommunicado', 'Fugazi', 'Garden Party' and 'Punch and Judy' are punchier tracks that I like.
    'Market Square Heroes' is ruined for me by all that "I am your anti-Christ" nonsense - and I say that as a native Aylesbury lad who is proud of my great hometown band, and someone familiar with the good old market square. Still, it was nice that when Fish performed the song as an encore at a gig in the market square about seven years ago the rest of Marillion joined in. A happy moment of public reconciliation.

I like all the Fish-era ones. I can't think of any 'rocker' they've done since Fish left that I like very much if at all. They do other things very well, of course.

'Hard As Love' and 'Paper Lies' are in that category on 'Brave'...the former is fine but I don't like the latter.