Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steve Walsh- The Fascinating Enigma

Quote Originally Posted by DarthVander View Post
    Yeah I read through that not long ago. Some of it is funny, though it makes you wonder why he even offered to answer fan questions if most of the time he couldn't be bothered to say more than "No. Thanks."

http://home.versanet.de/~f-arning/sw.../questions.htm
    Wow.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

LOL. I have no problem with his answers, they are direct and to the point. What's funny is how dorky and long-winded some of the questions are. And some aren't really questions, just fanboy statements, so Walsh really doesn't have much to answer to.

I dunno. He comes across to me as quite an asshole.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Stickleback View Post
    . When I was in the band Under The Sun,.
    I had my I-Pod on shuffle mode the other day at work and "Seeing Eye God" came on. I still love that song and think it should have been all over the radio.

"A band in Atlanta wrote it" (in reference to "Can't Cry Any More")... yeah, The Producers, asshole. Great band that should have got more respect. I love Steve but that was douchey.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I dunno. He comes across to me as quite an asshole.
    Yep, that's how his Q&A sessions came across to me when I read them a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I always thought you guys had a strong Kansas vibe with a little Rush thrown in for good measure. Whatever happened to UTS? I have the album in my collection but it's been years since I've played it. I should look for it this weekend and give it a spin.
    Long story short: I went to see Spock's Beard at LA's Troubadour on the V tour. UTS was opening and old friend Chris Shryack approached me because UTS was self destructing at the end of the tour; mainly frictions with the keyboard player and drummer. I joined the band as a trio and we gigged and developed/recorded material for about a year (Brad Aron from Kansas was brought in to produce), but the band had really lost momentum and we disbanded shortly there-after. There's an album's worth of material in the can somewhere. Sadly, Chris has succumbed to his addictions and has been homeless for the past few years. Friends and family have all tried to help him but no avail.
    "Young man says you are what you eat, eat well."
    http://www.blissbomb.net/

Well, some of the answers seem a little rude......but then, reading those questions I wonder how any of us would respond. The guy has been through a lot in life and obviously isn't too happy about things he's done in his past. Sometimes endless praise can make people like that angry, mainly at themselves but they lash out at the person giving the praise. I don't know, just a guess. He did have a rep as a primadonna during Kansas' years of big success, so maybe he still had some of that. Maybe the Q/A thing wasn't his idea and he resented it? Just speculation. To me though, most of the answers were pretty reasonable. I guess for some this just brings home the idea that it's never a good idea to meet your heroes in person..........they can never live up to your internal picture of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickleback View Post
    Long story short: I went to see Spock's Beard at LA's Troubadour on the V tour. UTS was opening and old friend Chris Shryack approached me because UTS was self destructing at the end of the tour; mainly frictions with the keyboard player and drummer. I joined the band as a trio and we gigged and developed/recorded material for about a year (Brad Aron from Kansas was brought in to produce), but the band had really lost momentum and we disbanded shortly there-after. There's an album's worth of material in the can somewhere. Sadly, Chris has succumbed to his addictions and has been homeless for the past few years. Friends and family have all tried to help him but no avail.
    Bummer, sad story.

That is too bad about Chris. He had a lot of potential.

Not to turn this into a UTS thread (maybe PE can present it as a featured album), but I played the CD last night for the first time in years. I really like the album. I wasn't too crazy about it at first. I thought it might have bordered on prog/metal in some spots but overall it's sounds very inspired by YES and Rush more than anything. Favorite tracks are "Perfect World" and "This Golden Voyage" (I never gave Seeing Eye God a real chance when I bought this album but hearing it last night it was a revelation). I think if they would've had a proper frontman/lead singer maybe they would've had a little more success. Not that Chris doesn't sing well (he does sing well), but he just doesn't have that projection of being a powerfull lead singer.

Stickleback: There's an album's worth of material in the can somewhere. Sadly, Chris has succumbed to his addictions and has been homeless for the past few years. Friends and family have all tried to help him but no avail.
    I'd be interested in hearing what you guys produced as a 3 piece, although I really think the keyboards are great on the first album. If it ever sees the light of day I'd buy it. Once again, sorry to read about Chris Shryak. What a shame. A talented musician like that just wasting away. I'm not judging the guy, I haven't walked a mile in his shoes.

Granted many of the questions posed to Steve are rambling or "fanboyish"-I still dont get why he cant be a little more respectful. I have always been curious about his sessions with Steve Hackett and a few questions were asked about it. Couldn't he at least have told a few things about it?

The band don't seem too sad about his leaving and Phil has even mentioned the possibility of new material with the new guy.

After reading the Q&A with Walsh it becomes evident why he was so lousy at communicating with the audience and why that role was given to Robbie.

Yikes. I read the first dozen or so answers. It does seem like he did not want to do it in the first place. Why they decided to actually publish some of it is puzzling.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Jeff: THANKS for playing at our fair last September and for autographing my copy of your solo CD for me. Naturally I have a zillion questions for you, but being in the public eye myself, I understand your concern over privacy. So my qustions is this: You said once in an interview that playing was never boring. Lots of people think you are bored with it because you don't jump around and do headstands like you once did. After seeing "Device Voice Drum," and seeing how hard you guys WORK in stage, I don't know how you could approach it any other way. So, just wondering if you still get a kick out of playing live. By the way, "Need to Know" is the most powerful song I've ever heard you write and sing. Thanks for all the great music.
    Steve: I promised myself that when it was time, I wasn't going to embarrass myself jumping around anymore. Back in the day, a girl came up to me and screamed at me that she wanted her money back, cause I didn't dance around as much as the last time she saw us. That really threw me for a loop, and I started wondering if I had created something that I couldn't escape from. Apparently I have, and it bothers me that people are persuaded by my antics, and consider my artistry second. I'm not Mick Jagger, and I never will be. But I would like to graduate to a more suitable stage persona. Consider also, the venues we sometimes play. The DVD we made is something I'm very proud of. Live at the Whiskey is something I cringe when I watch because I'm trying so very hard. Too hard as a matter of fact. I'm trying to deny that I'm over 40 years old in that video. I've learned something from that. It's that my voice is more important than my lame attempts at "entertainment"..

Reading Steve Walsh's responses should make you understand that being a rock star or musician ain't it's all cracked up to be. It also supports my rule to NEVER EVER make personal contact with any of my favorite musicians. I prefer to live in the fantasy world and just enjoy them as performers. I have no need to meet or get to know the real person because I will be bound to be hugely disappointed or potentially ruin my love of their music because they are having a bad day.

On the other hand, I did have the pleasure of meeting Steve Hackett and Steve Rothery and both were down to earth, very friendly and generous with their time.

OK, one last tangent for Under the Sun. Damn I loved that CD and I kept wondering why there was never another. I remember even turning some non-prog coworkers into fans of "Seeing Eye God" the year I got that CD.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Adinfinitum View Post
    It also supports my rule to NEVER EVER make personal contact with any of my favorite musicians. I prefer to live in the fantasy world and just enjoy them as performers. I have no need to meet or get to know the real person because I will be bound to be hugely disappointed or potentially ruin my love of their music because they are having a bad day.
    QFT

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    OK, one last tangent for Under the Sun. Damn I loved that CD and I kept wondering why there was never another. I remember even turning some non-prog coworkers into fans of "Seeing Eye God" the year I got that CD.
    I've been playing the CD all this weekend. I have a much greater appreciation for it now than I did in 2000. I'm remembering now that the reason I even heard about UTS because they were supporting their label mates, Kansas. There was a little hype about UTS in Kansas/Magna Carta circles. I just walked into a store (might've been Best Buy), found the CD, and bought it. I also wondered what happened to them after that CD. It's like they blew their wad on that and then fizzled out.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    That is sad about Chris Shryack. I LOVE the song Dreamcatcher from the studio album. Really a favorite song.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 09-09-2014 at 12:39 PM.

Has Steve Walsh written an autobiography? If so, I would definitely get it. He's a riot, on some of those web site answers.

neil

No, but on another part of that site he did a monthly blog that really has some hum dingers in it. Worth a look!

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Has Steve Walsh written an autobiography? If so, I would definitely get it. He's a riot, on some of those web site answers.

neil
    The only member of Kansas who has written a book so far has been Kerry Livgren. If Walsh wrote one it would be an auto buy for me.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    "A band in Atlanta wrote it" (in reference to "Can't Cry Any More")... yeah, The Producers, asshole. Great band that should have got more respect. I love Steve but that was douchey.
    Probably the best power pop band ever. Come on, Steve. Didn't Kyle Henderson become born-again and do a solo album on Kerry Livgren's label? Or am I imagining things?

"TOO CHRISTIAN" ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    Just for the record, Steve walked out on Kansas the first time over the lyrics to "Crossfire". It's possible he didn't like their more commercial approach at this time, but Crossfire (which was definitely the most Progressive track on Vinyl Confessions) was the camel that broke the proverbial camel's back for him. How do I know this?
    Dave Hope invited me in to Kerry's house after I gave some band members from Resurrection Band a ride there after a concert. Kerry wanted to let them hear a demo of one of the tracks from the next Kansas album. It turned out to be a instrumental version of Crossfire. After it played, he told us that Steve refused to sing it because the lyrics were "too Christian". He said "Steve walked out of the studio over a week ago, and we haven't heard from him since. We will probably have to audition a new lead singer."
    Too Christian yet you see him wearing a cross many times... what is up with that? Nothing is TOO Christian if you are a Christian. I think that Steve was conflicted with his own demons per say ( His own DUST in the nose) He knew that he had to go... the time was up for him and the other members also knew that his drug use and deterioration of his voice made it difficult for him to preform BUT he of course doesn't admit to his own issues ( most addicts don't) so it was probably was easier for him to just blame Kerry. He was an extraordinary rock singer, he interpreted Kerry's Lyrics so well and brought his words and vision to life. Un- fortunately it seemed he was lacking HUMILITY & some gratitude as those words he sang afforded him a new home and paid for his drug habit so maybe a Thank-you to kerry would be in order.Remember Dust in the wind and Carry on wayward son are very spiritual songs as were most of Kerry's songs and Steve had no problem singing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren Lo Bjorklund View Post
    Too Christian yet you see him wearing a cross many times... what is up with that? Nothing is TOO Christian if you are a Christian. I think that Steve was conflicted with his own demons per say ( His own DUST in the nose) He knew that he had to go... the time was up for him and the other members also knew that his drug use and deterioration of his voice made it difficult for him to preform BUT he of course doesn't admit to his own issues ( most addicts don't) so it was probably was easier for him to just blame Kerry. He was an extraordinary rock singer, he interpreted Kerry's Lyrics so well and brought his words and vision to life. Un- fortunately it seemed he was lacking HUMILITY & some gratitude as those words he sang afforded him a new home and paid for his drug habit so maybe a Thank-you to kerry would be in order.Remember Dust in the wind and Carry on wayward son are very spiritual songs as were most of Kerry's songs and Steve had no problem singing them.
    Well, considering that he was expected to be singing the lyrics, perhaps it was too much for him to be identified with them. It's his right, ya know.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"