Thread: Roger Dean at 70 - in pictures

Roger Dean at 70 - in pictures

http://www.theguardian.com/music/gal...70-in-pictures

Roger Dean, the famed artist, designer, architect, and publisher, turns 70 on 31 August. Featuring some of his greatest fantasy landscapes and designs for artists such as Yes and Asia, let’s celebrate with a selection of some of his most brilliant images

Suspended
    Those are brilliant, almost without exception. I also liked his covers for Osibisa. Flying elephants? Why not?

220px-Osibisacover.jpgOsibisaf.jpgWoyayacover.jpg

Happy Birthday, Roger. It's nice to see the UK press give him a favorable write-up.

He's been an immeasurable influence on my own work as an illustrator. I actually painted the Dragon's Dream logo (my profile pic) on a friend's acoustic guitar when I was 19.

I don't know if it's still in print, but his first book -- "Views" -- is pretty incredible. And I'm glad that he's finally got a web site that does his work justice and can offer proper merchandising. I just hope he can produce that animated film he's talked about for a while (unless Avatar put a permanent kabosh on it.)
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

When I was in high school art class we had to do different projects in all kinds of different mediums. I owned "Views" and did all my projects copying his work! Happy Bday Roger!
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

Happy Birthday Roger!

I have loved his fantasy landscapes for as long as I have loved progressive music, in fact a good deal of the initial attraction that brought me into the music of Yes and beyond, was down to the enticement of the album sleeves. To my 13 year old self these were perfect.

I keep meaning to go and view the exhibition he has running in the UK, I must check the dates and ensure I do not miss it.

here is a classic Roger Dean many aren't aware of. The Danish proggy and Midnight Sun from 1971. They used to be called Rainbow Band.

Midnight-Sun-album2.jpg

A couple of my faves already posted here - the Osibisa Flying Elephants and the War of the Worlds robots.

Loved his work from the first time I ever saw it. My personal favorite was Asia's "Alpha" cover - love the blues and greens, and always thought the eyes logo was pretty striking.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Love that Alan White cover--forgot about that one---so many great one's. I do however continue to loath James Cameron who ripped off 40 years of Dean work in Avatar and then acted like he thought it all up.

Happy birthday Roger from a guy who is eternally greatful to your kindness and creativity.

Best label logo ever! Too bad that Branson abandoned it in 1978.

Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

An immense influence on my own art, and a gentleman of the highest caliber. Happy birthday Roger.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I have a Seriograph (if you're so inclined you can Google it) of Tales from Topographic Oceans (looks like a real painting). It's framed, around four and a half feet by three feet. Favourite one in my collection.

Edit - here's a video:

Last edited by mozo-pg; 09-02-2014 at 06:50 PM.

The original paintings of Nitro Function (front and back) adorn my office wall, along with the original painting of Mark Wilkinson's "The Fool" at home.

Happy birthday, Roger. I have a body art tribute to a lost (to cancer) previous partner copied from the cover of Yesshows. The goose is replaced by a crane (she was on the Board of Directors of the Intl Crane Foundation), but the snow-capped mountains are there. Thank you.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Just discovered this cover from 1969 from The Jaggerz, with a flying fish on it. I had to think of Dean's work of course.

R-3811660-1345522977-6050.jpeg.jpg