Thread: FEATURED CD - Birdsongs of Mesozoic : Pyroclastics

FEATURED CD - Birdsongs of Mesozoic : Pyroclastics

Per Allmusic:
    With Pyroclastics, Birdsongs of the Mesozoic returned somewhat to its roots. Its signature sound -- pulsing keyboards, jagged harmonies, weird time signatures, slash-and-burn guitar -- is back stronger than ever; "Shortwave Longride" and "Pleasure Island" would both have sounded more or less at home on Magnetic Flip (except for the presence of Ken Field's saxophone). And the band's hilarious rendition of the theme from The Simpsons is a wry look backwards as well, a reminder of the arrangement of the Rocky and Bullwinkle theme on their first album. Field has managed to insinuate himself so seamlessly into the Birdsongs sound by this point that while his saxophone lines do alter it noticeably, they do so subtly and from the inside -- note, in particular, the subtle jazz flavoring he gives to "Tyronglaea II" (otherwise an archetypal piece of old-fashioned Mesozoicism). The band also takes another run at Brian Eno's "Sombre Reptiles" (a piece they had tackled in an unreleased recording from 1983) and comes up with a surprisingly gentle (if ultimately unremarkable) rendition of Brian Wilson's hymn-like "Our Prayer." Pyroclastics definitely marks a step forward for this band, but it remains rooted in its old strengths. Recommended.
    http://www.allmusic.com/album/pyroclastics-mw0000613146

Regards,

Duncan

I have all of Birdsongs studio albums, and the compilation of their early albums. I like all their stuff, but I have to say all their albums sort of "blend together" for me. I can't really pick out a single melody off Pyroclastics, or frankly any other album, from memory. When I spin them, they come back to me, but no individual song is that memorable. Rather, the overall Birdsongs sound is what I remember.

So all I can really say about Pyroclastics is that I basically enjoy it when I spin it. But that applies to pretty much all their albums.

Bill

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Slightly underrated IMO. Worthy to be mention with their top tier stuff but seldom isn't (not that the band is talked about often of course).

Nice feature.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Nice feature.

I think it's my favorite BSotM album, up until The Iridium Controversy. There are several brilliant tracks on it: Pleasure Island (which takes forever to get started and then drifts apart as soon as it does), Sled (based I believe on Purcell's "Funeral Music for Queen Mary"), Tomorrow Never Came (The Beatles' "Tomorrow Never Knows" totally reimagined), Why Not Circulate (a tribute to the "exotica" of Arthur Lyman/Martin Denny/Les Baxter), PAPERSCUTSTONE (based on a drum call & response)... and of course the covers - Sombre Reptiles, The Simpsons Theme Song, Our Prayer from "Smile." Sheer genius start to finish.

Duncan specifically posted this while I was away, so I couldn't comment on it!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

My faves are Faultline and Petrophonics, but I like this one and Iridium as well.

I never heard that one they did with the vox/"rapper" dude.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

This one is great, but Petrophonics is also my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Duncan specifically posted this while I was away, so I couldn't comment on it!
    YEP!

(I didn't know you were away - glad you saw it, though.)
    Regards,

Duncan

I haven't played this one for ages so I'm glad this review stirred me to putting it on again. Its a great album and the Birdsongs are a truly unique band . Their albums are consistently good, always bringing something new to the mix yet still being instantly recognizable. Considering how many lineup changes they've had I don't know how they achieve this. 'Our Prayer' is a beautiful piece and a great closer. It made me think of the final track on PFS's 279 album -'Theme in Eb' which closes that album in a similar fashion.

I’ve only heard the Simpsons theme interpretation from this one. I need this and a bunch more Birdsongs discs, all I have is Sonic Geology and Dancing on A’A, and the former is made redundant by that 2-disc complete anthology of their early vinyl releases (Magnetic Flip and the EPs). I need to upgrade to that one (can’t remember the title offhand).
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I’ve only heard the Simpsons theme interpretation from this one. I need this and a bunch more Birdsongs discs, all I have is Sonic Geology and Dancing on A’A, and the former is made redundant by that 2-disc complete anthology of their early vinyl releases (Magnetic Flip and the EPs). I need to upgrade to that one (can’t remember the title offhand).
    That would be Dawn of the Cycads. That was the compilation I was referring to earlier, and it is utterly completely fantastic imo. Well worth the purchase. For my money, this is the most enjoyable Birdsongs stuff, though as I said before, I own and enjoy all their discs.

Bill

Became a fan after seeing them at Nearfest 2001. I bought Petrophonics, and think its an excellent album.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Nice feature.
    Quote Originally Posted by adewolf View Post
    Nice feature.
    Nice feature.

I wonder who else would pop into this thread if they knew about Roger Dean's design for The Iridium Controversy...

"Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM