Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Relayer Yes / Wilson

Relayer Yes / Wilson

went to post this, but saw the prior post from a few day ago...never mind...
    Last edited by tozo; 08-28-2014 at 07:21 PM.

Not trying at all to be "that guy," but there's already a thread for this.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

yes, sorry about that...can't seem to delete....

Quote Originally Posted by tozo View Post
    yes, sorry about that...can't seem to delete....
    Amen! I can't figure out how to delete an original post at the top either,only the replies can be deleted seemingly.

Never mind, the other thread got hijacked by "Analog VS digital" so mabe here we can actually talk about this release :P
    I personally cant wait,
    I think from the classical prog this is one of my holy grails in terms of 5.1 treatment.
    Still waiting for VDGG- Pawnhearts to get the same, but oh well, cant win them all...

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    Never mind, the other thread got hijacked by "Analog VS digital" so mabe here we can actually talk about this release :P
    I feel people who prefer analog should be banned from using ProgressiveEars, as it is a website using digital technology. They should only be allowed to discuss ideas via the telephone or typeset print.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    I feel people who prefer analog should be banned from using ProgressiveEars, as it is a website using digital technology. They should only be allowed to discuss ideas via the telephone or typeset print.

Henry
    I just bought myself a Teac 10in reel to reel which I adore. When I get home tonight I'll play a few things I've recorded just for you.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Henry
    My understanding is that most if not all phones are digital now. My provider made me buy a digital phone to replace my 1993 analog phone early in this century. Even my landline operates over a fiber line. Fortunately I'm not one of those analog true believers, so I can still hang out here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    My understanding is that most if not all phones are digital now. My provider made me buy a digital phone to replace my 1993 analog phone early in this century. Even my landline operates over a fiber line. Fortunately I'm not one of those analog true believers, so I can still hang out here.
    Not to derail this thread, but...

When we moved into our new house last year AT&T forced us to switch to a VoIP line for our phone. The only problem is that if the power goes out the wireless modem/router goes down, and therefore the phones go down. Plus we have crap cell service cuz we're sort of in the country which means we have a booster unit to help our cell phones tie into the home phone system. Again, power goes out, phones go out. To top it off we live near Napa, CA which just experienced a 6.0 earthquake. It's sort of important to have a working phone if your house is damaged in a quake.

Oh, and huzzah SW + Relayer!
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Only in PE can a thread be derailed by talking about a similar thread being derailed.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Not to derail this thread, but...

When we moved into our new house last year AT&T forced us to switch to a VoIP line for our phone. The only problem is that if the power goes out the wireless modem/router goes down, and therefore the phones go down. Plus we have crap cell service cuz we're sort of in the country which means we have a booster unit to help our cell phones tie into the home phone system. Again, power goes out, phones go out. To top it off we live near Napa, CA which just experienced a 6.0 earthquake. It's sort of important to have a working phone if your house is damaged in a quake.

Oh, and huzzah SW + Relayer!
    I feel your pain--and it's actually an important issue for emergencies---I built a home in the mountains north of NYC and my cell service sucks completely--and same with me--if electricity goes--so does phone. I tried to get a hard wired phone here to no avail. I also live in NYC and when Sandy knocked electricity out the only one's left with phone service were some old people who had hard wired phones and had not had there homes taken over by modems and internet.

think I already said will get Wilson's version of masterpiece Relayer.

Quote Originally Posted by 2steves View Post
    I feel your pain--and it's actually an important issue for emergencies---I built a home in the mountains north of NYC and my cell service sucks completely--and same with me--if electricity goes--so does phone. I tried to get a hard wired phone here to no avail. I also live in NYC and when Sandy knocked electricity out the only one's left with phone service were some old people who had hard wired phones and had not had there homes taken over by modems and internet.
    You see?! It's all the fault of digital. Don't have this problem with analog. And phone conversations on analog sound warmer.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

You see?! It's all the fault of digital. Don't have this problem with analog. And phone conversations on analog sound warmer.

Henry
    I've been saying this for years. The digital police come to me in my dreams.

This is why God gave us the uninterpretable power supply. Every important electronic device in your home should have a battery power supply to keep you connected in emergencies and allow you to power down without frying your stuff.

Thread derail complete!

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    This is why God gave us the uninterpretable power supply.
    You can't interpret your power supply? Jon A probably could.

Quote Originally Posted by taliesin View Post
    Which is why I await Olias II.

Quote Originally Posted by taliesin View Post
    GAH! Spell check. I didn't even see it either...

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    This is why Gates Of Delirium gave us the uninterpretable... bla bla...

Thread derail complete!
    There, I fixed it, now its back on topic

Well, I still have a landline phone that stays on when the power goes out. However, I haven't listened to analog music since probably the mid-90's. Not sure whether I'll get this new Relayer or not. One copy of any album in enough for me (how many re-releases of all the Yes albums have there been now????). I realize it's in 5.1, but I honestly am not terribly excited by 5.1 Do bands ever create music specifically for 5.1? Like, make an album that MUST be played on a 5.1 system? If that happens, maybe I'll get more interested (and yes, I've heard a few albums in 5.1.......movies are really cool in 5.1, for music I generally prefer stereo with a sub woofer).

This is why Gates Of Delirium gave us the uninterpretable... bla bla...

Cha cha cha...bla bla!
    Cha cha cha...bla bla!

Confession:

My only copy of Relayer so far was when some clueless online seller was selling the download for $2.97 several years ago, because $0.99 times 3 is $2.97. I'd never owned the LP or CD before, but was familiar with it having borrowed it from a friend a few times. I might get this.

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    Like, make an album that MUST be played on a 5.1 system? .
    I always thought that Rick Wakeman's Return to the Centre of the Earth was originally recorded in surround sound but stereo compatible.
    HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."

Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    Do bands ever create music specifically for 5.1? Like, make an album that MUST be played on a 5.1 system? If that happens, maybe I'll get more interested (and yes, I've heard a few albums in 5.1.......movies are really cool in 5.1, for music I generally prefer stereo with a sub woofer).
    Sales are low enough without forcing people to listen in 5.1!

re: Phones and power outages - I have fiber optic internet and phone. If the power goes out there is a battery backup to allow emergency calling. But all my phones are wireless and the base station needs power to function...doh!
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Sales are low enough without forcing people to listen in 5.1!

re: Phones and power outages - I have fiber optic internet and phone. If the power goes out there is a battery backup to allow emergency calling. But all my phones are wireless and the base station needs power to function...doh!
    You can always plug a "regular" phone directly into the ONT if you still have a "regular" phone. This is supposed to give you 8 hours of backup, but then when the hurricane hits you discover it's more like 3 hours, even when you pull out the battery to prevent anything from draining it and only plug it in to (try to) use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    You can always plug a "regular" phone directly into the ONT if you still have a "regular" phone. This is supposed to give you 8 hours of backup, but then when the hurricane hits you discover it's more like 3 hours, even when you pull out the battery to prevent anything from draining it and only plug it in to (try to) use it.
    It wouldn't be a true emergency if everything worked perfectly. My parents were completely cut off when Irene caused flooding...which took out the pole on the other side of the brook and ripped the phone and power lines right off the side of the house.
    <sig out of order>