Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bi Kyo Ran - anybody?

Quote Originally Posted by no.nine View Post

I won't name names, but once or twice, I held out on a Tachika until a legit release materialized, but then found it unlistenable and replaced it with the Tachika after all. Sometimes a needledrop really is better than the "modernized, EQ'd to hell" remastering!
    I will name one: Absolute Elsewhere's In Search Of Ancient Gods (with William Bruford) on Wounded Bird Records.

Personally I would avoid Madoromi - Live Vol.4 which contains five King Crimson-covers recorded in 1977 and released by Belle Antique in 1994.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Personally I would avoid Madoromi - Live Vol.4 which contains five King Crimson-covers recorded in 1977 and released by Belle Antique in 1994.
    This is the one completely throwaway BKR record, IMO. Deep Live actually features some rather intriguing avant-progressive chamber-rock ramblings with xylophone to the fore, although the sound quality leaves a lot to be desired.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I will name one: Absolute Elsewhere's In Search Of Ancient Gods (with William Bruford) on Wounded Bird Records.
    Ah, thank you for that - I was actually planning on getting that one if I eventually came across a reasonably priced copy. And I wouldn't have expected that kind of mastering from Wounded Bird. They generally don't do their own mastering, and I didn't think Warner Bros. (or whoever licensed this one) would have even bothered to have done a new CD master for it!
    "I tah dah nur!" - Ike

Ah, thank you for that - I was actually planning on getting that one if I eventually came across a reasonably priced copy. And I wouldn't have expected that kind of mastering from Wounded Bird. They generally don't do their own mastering, and I didn't think Warner Bros. (or whoever licensed this one) would have even bothered to have done a new CD master for it!
    I really don't know what they did with this mastering, but it sounds horrible. As soon as some dynamic passages are heard the mix is completely out of ballance. Every time.

Well, back to topic.

Warner Bros Japan re-released this album this month and this one sounds good! (And the price is fine too.)

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/WPCR-17326