Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Tangerine Dream - Oh my!

Tangerine Dream - Oh my!

I've known and loved purely the early days of TD and have (foolishly) never investigated a disc after Force Majeure (1979)... Sad puppy I am! I very recently discovered the live disc of 'Poland - The Warsaw Concert' and I was actually blown away by it's sheer magic! This album is truly great! The band is absolutely brilliant here and I now want to check out their 80's as well. I do think that Johannes Schmoelling did the band very good! Are there by any chance other fans of 'Poland' and later TD fans on PE..?

Do you want a shout?

What about Logos - their 1982 live?

A TD shout would be nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Hour Candle View Post
    A TD shout would be nice!
    ...Wahn....

Still some good stuff, but it then gets pretty spotty/mediocre after a certain point...

Poland is amazing. Glad you found it. After Haslinger leaves, especially after Optical Race, they lost me...

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    Poland is amazing. Glad you found it. After Haslinger leaves, especially after Optical Race, they lost me...

And yet I still enjoy, in a limited way, some of the more mediocre techno stuff they churn out in a disturbingly capacious way in recent years. I actually enjoyed more than I expected their live show last year. The whole Booster series, etc. Did some classic stuff which was cool to hear too.
    Last edited by Reach; 08-27-2014 at 05:30 PM.

Haha, I do know Wahn

Everything from the 80's is new to me, except the Poland disc, and I like that alot. Where's my next step?

Quote Originally Posted by Hour Candle View Post
    What about Logos - their 1982 live?
    Even better than Poland IMO. They also released a lot of soundtrack albums in the '80s, some being better than others. Of the non-soundtrack studio albums I find Hyperborea the most enjoyable and consistent.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

I can't remember what came before/after Poland (I'm sure I'll be corrected, gladly, by the aficionados here), but also good are (IMO): Underwater Sunlight, Optical Race, White Eagle, Le Parc, Legend, Tangram, Miracle Mile, Exit...

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    I find Hyperborea the most enjoyable and consistent.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I kind of stopped following them after Lily on the Beach, but a while back I picked up The Electronic Journey, a budget 10 CD package that's a compilation of 8 other compilations, plus a soundtrack and one studio album.

The album, {The} Seven Letters From Tibet from 2000, was good enough that I'm open to the prospect of giving their later stuff another chance. I pretty much wrote off the '90s, though. I have my eye on the Five Atomic Seasons series and Views from a Red Train, all of which seem to have gotten good reviews from people who appreciate the classic TD.

Poland is an ok record, I like the early 80's albums, particularly Tangram, Pergamon, and Logos, much better.

Tangram, Pergamon (aka Quichotte) and Poland are my favourite 80's TD, but Logos, Green Desert, White Eagle and Hyperborea are also very good.

Tangram is my favourite from this period, almost like the TD version of symphonic prog. Hyperborea is the next best. Exit, Thief and White Eagle have their moments, too.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    Yeah, pretty much my story too. And I was a nut-job completest. But I was a fan of the Phaedra era originally, eventually the singing took it's toll on me. I moved on.
    I'd recommend Force Majeure for some high-energy TD. I saw them in '88, but the improvisation was gone by then...guitar by Froese was

Force Major is were I lost them
    I do like it a lot
    So how does it compare for the later stuff like Hyperborea Exit, Thief White Eagle Tangram ?

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Force Major is were I lost them
    I do like it a lot
    So how does it compare for the later stuff like Hyperborea Exit, Thief White Eagle Tangram ?
    Still pretty good, but not quite as good, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I kind of stopped following them after Lily on the Beach, but a while back I picked up The Electronic Journey, a budget 10 CD package that's a compilation of 8 other compilations, plus a soundtrack and one studio album.

The album, {The} Seven Letters From Tibet from 2000, was good enough that I'm open to the prospect of giving their later stuff another chance. I pretty much wrote off the '90s, though. I have my eye on the Five Atomic Seasons series and Views from a Red Train, all of which seem to have gotten good reviews from people who appreciate the classic TD.
    Just my .02, but I really love Views From A Red Train, and Summer In Nagasaki is IMO the easy best of the Atomic Seasons series, which is nice overall but maybe a bit uneven.
    From my experience I'd say there's a respectable bit of latter-day TD worth owning, but you gotta wade through an awful mess o'product to get there.
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Reginod View Post
    Summer In Nagasaki is IMO the easy best of the Atomic Seasons series, which is nice overall but maybe a bit uneven.
    Interesting, that is one of the two records in the series that is really an Edgar Froese solo album released under the TD banner, and there's really only one out of the five that's a full TD band release, with the other two being by Froese/Quaeschning and Froese/Beibl.

I loved Edgar Froese's guitar playing on Force Majeure as it seemed he had improved his technique and tone. I loved the composition, the fact they had a real drummer, and how electronic music was fused with Progressive Rock. Johannes Schmoelling released "The Zoo Of Tranquility" years later and it was a fine electronic album with very original compositions that displayed exciting diversity. Force Majeure was stylistically closer to the approach of Goblin. It didn't sound like the Goblin band ...but the electric lead guitar, electronics, and studio drummer was basically the same idea or formula to produce that PARTICULAR sound. It was a very magical time period for Tangerine Dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Enid View Post
    I loved Edgar Froese's guitar playing on Force Majeure as it seemed he had improved his technique and tone. I loved the composition, the fact they had a real drummer, and how electronic music was fused with Progressive Rock. Johannes Schmoelling released "The Zoo Of Tranquility" years later and it was a fine electronic album with very original compositions that displayed exciting diversity. Force Majeure was stylistically closer to the approach of Goblin. It didn't sound like the Goblin band ...but the electric lead guitar, electronics, and studio drummer was basically the same idea or formula to produce that PARTICULAR sound. It was a very magical time period for Tangerine Dream.