Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just for fun - rules for your patched heavy metal denim jacket

Just for fun - rules for your patched heavy metal denim jacket

Most important rule in the metal community first
    1. Don't put patches on your denim jacket for bands that you have never seen live
    2. Don't mix general genres - so while it might be acceptable to have Queen and Metallica on the same jacket, it isn't okay to have Black Sabbath and Green Day on the same jacket
    3. Don't have extreme mixes from hard rock on your jacket - so while it might be acceptable to have The Clash and Motley Crue on the same jacket, it isn't okay to have the Clash and Deep Purple on the same jacket.
    4. Don't personalise your jacket with your own name tag, your national flag, home town name, personal interests, family & pet names etc. - keep to the bands, stick to the music
    5. Don't steal another man's jacket - I don't know who you are, but I will find you, and I will kill you.
    6. Don't wash your jacket, EVER!
    7. Don't repair your jacket, EVER!
    8. Don't sell your jacket
    9. Don't EVER buy an already patched jacket, new or secondhand
    10. DO cover it in patches
    11. DO spill blood, beer, food, piss and puke on it
    12. DO defend it with your life

Last edited by PeterG; 08-27-2014 at 10:38 AM.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    13. You must sew your own patches onto your jacket because you look like a pussy if you have to admit your mom did it for you.
    Last edited by Rune Blackwings; 08-27-2014 at 12:32 PM. Reason: NEVER put a Maroon 5 and Judas Priest patch next to each other EVER

Are iron-ons acceptable?
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    NO! Metal patches must be black with white and/or red ink and on the flimsiest piece of cloth known to mankind!

14. never sew them on straight or in a row. You ain't no boy scout !

15. Pink Floyd prism and ZOSO are universally accepted non-metal additions.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

I still have my denim jackets.doors and the who.My BOC t.shirt got first appear on baseball 1978.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I broke 1 all the time I don't think I'd been to any concerts when I started adding patches. From memory I had

Rainbow, Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Saxon, Motorhead, AC/DC, Scorpions

and yes my mum sewed them on. I eventually switched to a jacket with Leonard Cohen painted on the back.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

What about the blue, 3-ringed binder? Drew all my favorite metal band logos on that sucker. It was my denim jacket's metal baby. I still think I have that thing in storage somewhere.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Patches? Pussies. I embroidered the Rainbow guitar/castle on mine using the spare bits of wool in my mum's sewing box.

16. Unless you are an expert in free-hand graphic design, do NOT draw your own logos and band fonts on your jacket: Nothing looks worse than a hand-drawn lightning-bolt "M" on the upper back left side and "etallica" all scrunched together on the right side

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    13. You must sew your own patches onto your jacket because you look like a pussy if you have to admit your mom did it for you.
    Absolutely.

Now, don't get me wrong, I would never begrudge a young metal fan just getting into the scene who buys some patches of his fav bands, that he hasn't yet seen and gets a parent to neatly stitch them on to his jacket for him. hey, lets cut the kids some slack here, everyone has to start osmewhere.

But there are limits, on Saturday I was at a one-day metal festival, and I saw one kid, maybe about 20 (and I've seen it before at other gigs and festivals) who had every inch of his denim jacket covered in square patches, all arranged in neat rows, totally mixed, no rhyme or reason to it all, perhaps 50 4" x 4" patches on the back alone. It looked awful. And if he'd seen all those bands, he'd have to have been born at least 30 years before he was born.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Are iron-ons acceptable?
    Yes, because so many of them are iron-on now.

Quote Originally Posted by tom unbound View Post
    14. never sew them on straight or in a row. You ain't no boy scout !
    Correct!

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    What about the blue, 3-ringed binder? Drew all my favorite metal band logos on that sucker. It was my denim jacket's metal baby. I still think I have that thing in storage somewhere.
    Yea,me too, but we didn't have binders at school, we drew on our exercise books.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    Patches? Pussies. I embroidered the Rainbow guitar/castle on mine using the spare bits of wool in my mum's sewing box.
    Man, that's hardcore! Don't tell too many people this, but the real metal fans do crochet in their spare time

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    16. Unless you are an expert in free-hand graphic design, do NOT draw your own logos and band fonts on your jacket: Nothing looks worse than a hand-drawn lightning-bolt "M" on the upper back left side and "etallica" all scrunched together on the right side
    Actually, back in the day, when lots of bands didn't bother with patches, ironing on your own pre-cut letters and designs was one of the things to do. BUT I agree about the free-hand drawing and writing, that just looks bad.

At Knebworth for Zep in 79 a guy near me had the Dean Relayer sleeve embroidered on the back panel, it was a work of art. Clearly he was too artsy prog to be metal, but I was impressed to hell.

Old school, faded denim with sleeves. This is quite similar to mine, very few pictures, just the band names.

https://www.theimagefile.com/tx.aspx...08b.1366319604

Motorhead led the way into the metal/punk crossover & people started cutting the sleeves off and adding punk badges as well.
    The large back patch is also a relatively new thing, that punks also had.

And here is the spawn of satan, this is a pre-printed new jacket copying an old school jacket, awful! Should be outlawed!
    Anyone who buys one of these runs the risk of bumping into someone else with exactly the same jacket, how embarrassing.
    That said, no self-respecting metal fan would ever buy one of these, let alone wear one. This is just for posers.
    http://www.cherrybombed.com/2013/03/...-metal-jacket/

And this kind of thing just looks pathetic, it breaks every rule in the book!
    Not only is everything perfectly machine stitched on...but WTF, she cut the collar off!!! NO!!
    And WTF again? Look up on the right shoulder..Genesis? Really? This was made by a woman who clearly knows bugger all about the metal scene dress code. And then in the middle amongst all the metal patches, an Exploited patch, hardcore punk. So when she wears this, she will not only have to explain to people why she has a Genesis patch and an Exploited patch on the same vest, but why they are both on a metal vest! Down in the comments field she says, "My favourite Genesis album is Invisible Touch!" Woman, are you sure you have actually listened to any of the metal mentioned on those patches?

http://tshirtslayer.com/files-tshirt...?itok=kVRnuHRC
    Last edited by PeterG; 08-28-2014 at 04:30 AM.

I've never owned one. Back when these things were common amongst "metallurgists" I saw lots of young snots wearing them. Back then I wasn't into the scene so the thought never crossed my mind to sew patches on my denim jackets. Today I'd look beyond silly wearing one. I look silly enough in my rock t-shirts as it is . What I've done in a similar vein is put buttons, like AC/DC on my ball caps. I could see wearing a baseball type cap with a metal band logo on front, or even a trucker's hat with an embroidered logo up front. Recently I saw this youngish bartender (probably arounf 30 years old), who's a metal nut showing us a pair of baggy, denim shorts that he had for sale. He wasn't wearing them but he was just showing the shorts because he knew I was into some of the same bands he was in. Those shorts looked kind of silly because along with all the classic stuff (Maiden, Metallica, AC/DC, etc.) there were patches of all these modern metal bands I'd never heard of. It just looked wrong.

I agree, it was wrong as soon as you said "shorts" jorts even!

By the way Peter,

6. Don't wash your jacket, EVER!
    11. DO spill blood, beer, food, piss and puke on it
    I know this is tongue in cheek, right? Tell me this is all part of the humour of it all. Sorry but I'd wash mine once in a while even if I didn't spill beer and piss on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    By the way Peter,

I know this is tongue in cheek, right? Tell me this is all part of the humour of it all. Sorry but I'd wash mine once in a while even if I didn't spill beer and piss on it.
    Yea, it's all just for a laugh.....or is it

This I'd probably wear:

I'd imagine that there's a huge collectors market for this stuff. Like a real vintage, home made one in decent condition would probably fetch a nice chunk o' change.

Where does one buy these patches anyway? Do you have to order on the internet, or are there stores at malls that sell 'em?

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    OK...now THAT is BAD ASS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!