Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HELIOPOLIS Release "City of the Sun" on 10T Records

Quote Originally Posted by gryphs also View Post
    I just want another opportunity to party with the wild man that is Kerry (if he is still the wild man). The fact that his band rocks is another bonus.
    No, he's a farmer now, raising chickens and growing herbs. He'll be performing in his dungarees with a cover of the Green Acres theme song.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go" - John Muir

"To breathe the same air as the angels, you must go to Tahoe" - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Hunnibee View Post
    No, he's a farmer now, raising chickens and growing herbs. He'll be performing in his dungarees with a cover of the Green Acres theme song.
    Yee-haw!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I finally had a chance to listen to the whole album completely uninterrupted last night.

Knowing Kerry & Jerry, I knew it would be quite good.

Calling it quite good is like saying Stephen Hawking is "fairly bright". Some really great songwriting, a great singer & players make this an album that will get a lot of playtime here.

Congrats to the band, and especially Kerry/Jerry for falling into a pile of s**t and coming out smelling like roses.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

A little late, but I ordered the CD today.

Congrats, guys! Best of luck in marketing this highly anticipated release.

Jefferson James
    Well hells to the ya -- thank you so much kind people, your words mean a whole lot to all of us in this band.

I waited to bump this thread until we had at least one review, and so it shall be.

Big thanks to Pete Pardo and the team at Sea of Tranquility, we appreciate it very much and are excited to be considered for a more thorough roundtable type situation.

Meanwhile we've got CD release gigs planned, Pink Floyd "The Wall" style ( ), in LA (Thousand Oaks, actually) and NYC (Dunellen, NJ, actually); of course these gigs are entities unto themselves and the fact that we're tying in our CD release is purely coincidental.

Up first, a Night of Prog with XNA and Gabble Ratchet Saturday, September 27th, 2014; big thanks to Jim Harrel for helping spread the word via the CalProg page.

HelioXNAGabble.jpg

Of course we are beyond stoked to be part of the NJ Proghouse Homecoming Weekend 2014 October 11th and 12th, 2014 with Pinnacle, Out of the Beardspace, Lo-Fi Resistance, Travis Larson Band, The Sensational Francis Dunnery Band (10/11), Schooltree, MVP (Meridian Voice Project), special interlude performance by (echolyn’s) Ray Weston, and the mighty Discipline (10/12).

NJPHHOME2014.jpg

The band is excited, energized, rehearsed and ready to hit the stage and we're hoping to meet a few Progressive Ear folks; we will have our CD available at these shows as well.

Meanwhile, Markwin Meeuws is streaming the album at Progstreaming, and our most excellent label, 10T Records, also has the album streaming in full as well as various purchase options.

I've gotta say it's a good feeling to be back in partnership with Steve Carroll, Jeff Hodges and the good folks at 10T Records, thank you so much for having faith in the band.

Once again, thanks for the nice comments and especially the support, my fellow PE-ers; with any luck we will hopefully see you at a gig soon. We are a live band first and foremost!

Thanks for the reminder Kerry.....I just ordered the cd!

Congratufuckinglations!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Marsh View Post
    Congratufuckinglations!!!!!!!
    Wow, that trumps my "Hallefuckalujah" that I say a lot.

Just wanted to thank PE, without whom I probably would never have known about this fantastic album

Am checking the album right now over on Progstreaming and must say I am already very impressed only after having heard New Frontier. This one is going high on my To Buy list.

Looking forward to seeing the band at NJ Proghouse. We'll be buying a CD there for sure. Kerry, you can talk to my wife about cats while you guys sign it! You two were really into that at Progday.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

I cannot keep from playing this CD at least once a day! It's sooo good, like ice cream with TWO cherries on top.

Jefferson James
    Mel, we are all stoked you are digging the music, it means everything, thank you very much. We had a blast hanging out with you last weekend and in spite of a rough start for you (Greyhound!), I am glad everything worked out. You are welcome here any time and I hope it's sooner than later.

Really excited for NJ Proghouse next weekend, last weekend's show was fantastic in spite of 3 of us battling lingering summer colds; we're all on the mend and looking to bring everything we've got to New Jersey.

Thanks again Melissa!

HCW14.jpg

hey, it's out eh? congratulations you guys! all the best to you and your circle
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Jon Neudorf
    Just posted a review on Sea of Tranquility and no surprise this one's a keeper. Thanks again Kerry!

Here it is:

The sun has indeed been shining on this prog rock quintet as Heliopolis is starting to carve out a pretty big name for themselves after forming in 2012. That's great news as I can think of no band right now that deserves more kudos than these guys. Consisting of former members of Mars Hollow, Ten Jinn and Gabble Ratchet (Genesis tribute band), the players are Jerry Beller (drums, vocals), Matt Brown (keyboards, vocals), Kerry Chicoine (bass, vocals), Mike Matier (guitars) and Scott Jones (vocals).

There is certainly a retro flavour here of classic melodic '70s progressive rock but that description will hardly suffice in what is an outstanding modern day prog rock classic. This band has no weak links and a few impressions stood out upon my initial listen. First off, the rhythm section of Chicoine and Beller drives this disc into prog rock heaven. Chicoine's tone, sometimes having a Geddy Lee/Squire feel is massive, fluid and warm and serves these songs so well. In tandem with Beller's sometimes complicated fills and rolls these guys are a force to be reckoned with. Not to be outdone, Brown's plethora of keyboards and synth sounds are classy, virtuosic and more importantly suite the needs of each tune. Sure there are some great solos throughout the disc but it's never at the expense of the 'song'. Guitar wise, Matier is also highly visible offering a variety of chords and riffage along with a few tasty solos. Finally the vocals. Jones has a warm and inviting timbre and is a key component to the band's sound. The vocal harmonies are quite lovely which should come as no surprise considering four out of five band members add vocals.

The first track "New Frontier" is a fantastic opener. It is a grandiose beginning of big crunchy riffs, guitar pyrotechnics and stunning drum work. I like the heavier sound before the band settles into a melodic prog rock groove with lovely lead vocals and tasty synthesizer workouts. "Take a Moment" is a little moodier and darker sounding at first before the band get into full prog mode, alternating between atmospheric dreaminess and fiery complexity. "Mr. Wishbone" takes its cue from the mighty Crimson, offering the listener a platter slightly more eclectic and chaotic than anything in the first two tracks and assuring us their music is anything but safe. In contrast, the pretty "Elegy" is the perfect counterpoint to the previous bit of complexity with heartfelt vocals, soaring guitar and elegant organ work. The last track "Love and Inspiration" is a melodic and inspired epic transitioning between classic Yes-like prog with jazzy undertones to searing guitar led sections but it is the keyboard work that really sets the mood and atmosphere of the piece. Sinuous synth lines, jazz inflected piano and soaring keys all help to solidify the music's uplifting and positive tone.

Not much else needs to be said. City Of the Sun is one of those albums that will appeal to prog fans both old and new and will be at the top of my 'best of' list come year's end. Now, just go out and buy the darn thing!

Regards,
    Jon

This is my next purchase, in the next day or so. Gotten behind on just about everything, but I look forward to this!

This CD has been in regular rotation in our house since it arrived in the mail shortly after release. Congratulations on a job well done! We're still mourning the fact that we could not attend the band's performance in NJ due to health issues.

Keep forgetting to pick this one up. I'm sorry guys!

It's on my list now.