Thread: Daryl Hall and Minus the Bear - NYCNY (Crimson / Fripp mentions)

Daryl Hall and Minus the Bear - NYCNY (Crimson / Fripp mentions)

I was pleasantly surprised to catch this on Palladia the other day - Daryl Hall playing the song "NYCNY" from Sacred Songs (his 1978 Fripp collaboration) on his show Live From Daryl's House with two members of Minus the Bear. Apparently they are some type of math rock band, though I've never heard their stuff. In their interview they mention Crimson as an influence on their album Planet of Ice. Hall mentions that this was the first time the song was played since it was recorded. Very cool.

Minus The Bear are good and that's a great clip.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Enjoyed that, thanks
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Cool tune!

Amazed someone had the ballz to do that one!

This one is from last year I think as I saw it quite a while ago, but dug it. I like what I have heard from Minus The Bear although yet to explore an album.

Being a college educated young man born in the mid 80s, I have a great love for the indie music which came out when Dubya was president--before guitars went out of style again and dance music became de rigeur.

So: I was a bit familiar with Minus the Bear in the mid 2000s. It seemed like they were going to break through to some sort of recognition, but bands like them and Band of Horses just could never get over the top. It didn't help that to most of my indie purist friends, what Druid and Starcastle were to Yes, Minus the Bear and Band of Horses were to the Shins.

I do recall though that they had some bizarre, absurdist song titles on their early albums. Part of me always wondered if they got the idea from the Canterbury groups, but I guess people from far away lands who have never heard of each other could very well be equally strange

Nice clip. Pity they didn't wheel out 'Disengage' (although I get the impression DH would like to distance himself from those lyrics...)

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

This is nice too:

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Just a heads up, the recent episode with Ben Folds (premiered on Palladia on 5/7) offers two from Sacred Songs - Don't Leave Me Alone with Her and a brilliant Babs and Babs.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    Just a heads up, the recent episode with Ben Folds (premiered on Palladia on 5/7) offers two from Sacred Songs - Don't Leave Me Alone with Her and a brilliant Babs and Babs.
    That episode was awesome, Ben Folds is one of my favorites.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I'll spin Sacred Songs tonight. What an amazing album.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I'll spin Sacred Songs tonight. What an amazing album.
    I bought that after seeing the episode referenced for this thread.

I found a mint LP copy of SACRED SONGS in used record for 75 cents. Really dig it. It was between some Lionel Ritchie and Laura Brannigan albums. I've learned to look through the dross at used record stores and I often find hidden gems.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    That episode was awesome, Ben Folds is one of my favorites.
    Agreed, Folds is one of the great "piano men" of rock n roll IMO. I also think he is a great lyric writer.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Agreed, Folds is one of the great "piano men" of rock n roll IMO. I also think he is a great lyric writer.
    Yeh Daryl pointed out that he hears Elton John influences in his playing. It was great to hear the piano make its way via the Ben Folds 5, back into popular/eclectic/alternative rock.
    BF5 was a bright spot in the 90's and from our Progday town:

Ben Folds Five are an American alternative rock trio formed in 1993 in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. The group's members are Ben Folds (lead vocals, piano, keyboards, melodica, principal songwriting), Robert Sledge (bass, contrabass, synthesizer, backing vocals), and Darren Jessee (drums, percussion, backing vocals, songwriter). The group achieved mainstream success in the alternative, indie and pop music scenes. Their single "Brick" from the 1997 album Whatever and Ever Amen gained airplay on many mainstream radio stations. During their seven years together, the band released three proper studio records, one retrospective album of B-sides and outtakes, and eight singles. They also contributed to a number of soundtracks and compilations. Ben Folds Five disbanded in October 2000.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Yeh Daryl pointed out that he hears Elton John influences in his playing. It was great to hear the piano make its way via the Ben Folds 5, back into popular/eclectic/alternative rock.
    BF5 was a bright spot in the 90's and from our Progday town:

Ben Folds Five are an American alternative rock trio formed in 1993 in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. The group's members are Ben Folds (lead vocals, piano, keyboards, melodica, principal songwriting), Robert Sledge (bass, contrabass, synthesizer, backing vocals), and Darren Jessee (drums, percussion, backing vocals, songwriter). The group achieved mainstream success in the alternative, indie and pop music scenes. Their single "Brick" from the 1997 album Whatever and Ever Amen gained airplay on many mainstream radio stations. During their seven years together, the band released three proper studio records, one retrospective album of B-sides and outtakes, and eight singles. They also contributed to a number of soundtracks and compilations. Ben Folds Five disbanded in October 2000.
    Ben Folds 5 got back together again and put out a new album a couple of years ago. Folds has often cited Elton as an influence and recorded "Tiny Dancer" on his live album.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Crap! I keep missing this freaking show. Never saw the MtB episode but have and love the Omni album. I haven't heard the Infinity Overhead album but I think I'm going to fix that.

And yes, Ben Folds is one of the better lyricist and craftsman out there.

I did see the Sammy Hagar episode - I didn't know that Van Halen offered Daryl Hall the lead singer job after DLR left... before they approached Hagar.

my prog-hating/Hall-and-Oates-loving fiancee gave the middle finger to the Minus the Bear show.

Also Planet of Ice has been to me the go-to/standout MtB record, so that doesn't surprise me to see them reference it and prog.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    Cool! I DVRd it just out of curiosity (I've only heard a little bit of Ben Folds and vaguely remember liking what I heard). I'll have to check it out soon!

Quote Originally Posted by unclemeat View Post
    Sorry, didn't see this and started a fresh thread a little while ago. Good stuff.

Planet Of Ice is a superb record. Great entry point. Minus The Bear are a really cool band. I knew they had a little Prog in their souls.
    The Prog Corner