Thread: Attn. Dylan Fans

Attn. Dylan Fans

I know these have been circulated for years, but I still think it's exciting to see them getting a proper release:

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/ne...te/#more-30891

I've pre-ordered mine

(P.S. if you're not a Dylan fan and just want to post some boring variation on 'Aww, I like his songs but can't take his singing' then start yer own damn thread!)

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

long overdue.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    I know these have been circulated for years, but I still think it's exciting to see them getting a proper release:

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/ne...te/#more-30891

I've pre-ordered mine

(P.S. if you're not a Dylan fan and just want to post some boring variation on 'Aww, I like his songs but can't take his singing' then start yer own damn thread!)
    I found the bootleg version of that a few months ago. was excited about it, thinking there was no way all of that would be released. Hooha!
    http://www.bobdylan.com/us/news

Now for a Blu-ray of the complete Renaldo and Clara...

That would be SWEET!
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Thanks for the heads up.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I know they already put out a Rolling Thunder one from the '75 tour, but I've always been a fan of the much reviled Hard Rain and would love to hear some more raucous, venomous music from that ill-fated tour in 76.

And the Minneapolis sessions for Blood on the Tracks.

I guess his Blood on the Tracks-Rolling Thunder-Desire-Hard Rain period has always fascinated me most.

This Basement Tapes box is long overdue, but I can't say I'll buy it. I'd rather read about his music from that period than listen to it.

Greil Marcus' Old-Weird America is a must read for anyone who likes the Basement Tapes

Quote Originally Posted by bigjohnwayne View Post
    I've always been a fan of the much reviled Hard Rain and would love to hear some more raucous, venomous music from that ill-fated tour in 76.
    Me too - a great album IMO!

I read somewhere (Expecting Rain, I think) that there is a Bootleg Series of the Blood on the Tracks sessions in the works - this Basement release will put that back a couple of years, I guess. I agree that it will be something to hear when released (but, I'm an unapologetic Fanboy...)

Quote Originally Posted by bigjohnwayne View Post
    I know they already put out a Rolling Thunder one from the '75 tour,
    And it is REALLY GREAT! The second leg of RTR Tour in '76 was, apparently, lackluster, compared to the '75 shows.

I am much more of a Band fan than a Dylan fan, but this looks hugely cool from that perspective too. We'll see about the price point. If it is under $100 I'm in. If it is in the price gouge range of some of these super deluxe things, the 2 cd set looks like it may be a good alternative.

EDIT: Just noticed that prices are listed... $150. 2 cd set for $20 here I come!

The thing I hate is that I have every one of the bootleg series on vinyl. At 6 CDs, the 3 LP set is just going to be missing so much. So I'll have to have the 6 CD version, but then I won't have the complete set on vinyl. Oh the joys of being a Dylan fan. As much as I don't want to buy both versions, I know I probably will. Still, this is going to be an absolutely great set and with his new studio album this year, I will be deep into a lot Dylan music this fall and winter.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

are you ready to engage in a 3 1/2 hour film?

Quote Originally Posted by Adm.Kirk View Post
    The thing I hate is that I have every one of the bootleg series on vinyl. At 6 CDs, the 3 LP set is just going to be missing so much. So I'll have to have the 6 CD version, but then I won't have the complete set on vinyl. Oh the joys of being a Dylan fan. As much as I don't want to buy both versions, I know I probably will. Still, this is going to be an absolutely great set and with his new studio album this year, I will be deep into a lot Dylan music this fall and winter.

Bill
    I'm hoping his new studio release is a little less like the previous ones. Yeah, it's all great, but he seems like he's stuck in the same mode. Then again, this is Bob Dylan. If there was anyone who has earned the right to do whatever he wants, it's him. I'm happy he's still working.

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    are you ready to engage in a 3 1/2 hour film?
    I have an old double-VCR that looks like it was copied from a broadcast on Canadian TV, so know what I'm getting myself into

It's better than its reputation, if no threat to Bergman, Antonioni or Kurosawa! IMO rock movies are almost uniformly wretched - this, my VCR (bought at the same time and place) of 'Cocksucker Blues' and 'Yellow Submarine' are about the only ones I can stand.

And the concert footage is splendid.

Could be the most interesting release in this series for years.

I think this is pretty interesting too

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G4O2PM2/...I24FI7R90QQNWM

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    I think this is pretty interesting too

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G4O2PM2/...I24FI7R90QQNWM
    I like the reviewer who says:

As a long time Dylan fan I can say that, had I heard them on the radio, I would never have recognized some of these performances as being covers of songs I've listened to for decades
    ...because of course you could say the same about a lot of Dylan's own live performances.

You make an excellent point. And that is part of Bob's enduring appeal to lots of people, including me. It is one reason I collect recordings of Dylan concerts. the other reason being I know I'll score with some hot chicks when he's dead. narf!

Indeed. Bob does a great job of mixing things up well and reworking his material to keep it fresh. He probably does that more for himself, to keep from being bored.

The 2 CD will be enough for me but it is an autobuy. It's strange. In my younger years music had to be either hard as granite or prog-level complex. The older I get the more Dylan and his approach makes sense. I hope that this means I'm not mellowing but continuing to broaden my palate.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Indeed. Bob does a great job of mixing things up well and reworking his material to keep it fresh. He probably does that more for himself, to keep from being bored.
    He has said just that in interviews.