Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: PSY apology

PSY apology

He can GFHM with his apology!

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

What did he say that was anti-American, specifically? The guy lived in Boston for four years, basically just hanging out, so he couldn't have entirely hated the US. It might have just been a few halfway-true jokes of the kind every foreigner probably makes - like the stereotypes of terrible British food and rude Parisian waiters and terrifying Italian drivers. Perhaps he talked about Americans being fat and full of themselves and eating too much. But then, because of suddenly having that huge worldwide novelty hit and being asked to perform for the President (more likely for the President's daughters), he worried that people here would get all upset about that.

Did I miss something? Did he apologize for tormenting the world with his shitty music?

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

‘“What blow, Goblin?” said Corinius.’ --E. R. Eddison

N.P.:“Reality or Misanthropy? (Mix-Up)”-Cast/Angels & Demons

Who??

eer...what is this thread about? And what is Psy? And what is Gfhm?

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    eer...what is this thread about?
    A Korean rapper making anti American rants and then making an apology, then me telling him to GFHM with his apology

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    A Korean rapper ......? GFHM ....?
    I'm still no wiser.

"Kill those fucking Yankees who have been torturing Iraqi captives/Kill those fucking Yankees who ordered them to torture/Kill their daughters, mothers, daughters-in-law and fathers/Kill them all slowly and painfully"

None of my business, but if he wrote that shit about Australians and then I learnt that my Prime Minister was going to attend a function with him... well, I can't imagine voting for that Prime Minister again.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

meimjustalawnmower
    15 minutes goes by so quickly. You might get another 5 minutes, if you're lucky. MC Hammer is prolly tying the noose as we speak.

I love Psy, and I'm not crazy about 'Murrica.
    Cargo of diamonds as you are: nothing more valuable, nothing more tough. - A. M. Beal

If those are his words, I hope this cocksucker gets dry cleaned to death.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    If those are his words, I hope this cocksucker gets dry cleaned to death.

http://www.mercurynews.com/music/ci_...ti-us-protests

South Korean rapper and Internet sensation PSY is apologizing to Americans for participating in anti-U.S. protests several years ago.
    Park Jae-sang, who performs as PSY, issued a statement Friday after reports surfaced that he had participated in concerts protesting the U.S. military presence in South Korea during the early stages of the Iraq war.

At a 2004 concert, the "Gangnam Style" rapper performs* a song with lyrics about killing "Yankees" who have been torturing Iraqi captives and their families "slowly and painfully." During a 2002 concert, he smashed a model of a U.S. tank on stage.

"While I'm grateful for the freedom to express one's self, I've learned there are limits to what language is appropriate and I'm deeply sorry for how these lyrics could be interpreted," he wrote in the statement. "I will forever be sorry for any pain I have caused by those words."

The 34-year-old rapper says the protests were part of a "deeply emotional" reaction to the war and the death of two Korean school girls, who were killed when a U.S. military vehicle hit them as they walked alongside the road. He noted anti-war sentiment was high around the world at the time.
    PSY attended college in the U.S. and says he understands the sacrifices U.S. military members have made to protect South Korea and other nations. He has recently performed in front of servicemen and women.

"And I hope they and all Americans can accept my apology," he wrote. "While it's important that we express our opinions, I deeply regret the inflammatory and inappropriate language I used to do so. In my music, I try to give people a release, a reason to smile. I have learned that thru music, our universal language we can all come together as a culture of humanity and I hope that you will accept my apology."

His participation in the protests was no secret in South Korea, where the U.S. has had a large military presence since the Korean War, but was not generally known in America until recent news reports.

*PSY did not write "Dear American," a song by the Korean band N.EX.T, but he does perform it. The song exhorts the listener to kill the Yankees who are torturing Iraqi captives, their superiors who ordered the torture and their families. At one point he raps: "Kill their daughters, mothers, daughters-in-law, and fathers/Kill them all slowly and painfully."

(see the rest of the link)
    Cargo of diamonds as you are: nothing more valuable, nothing more tough. - A. M. Beal

You bet your ass he's apologizing with all the money we've been throwing at him. Fuck this guy.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

The expression of anti-US slogans is pretty common in Europe and Asia: it's a dumb crowd-pleaser for the hip set.

Similarly, the air-heads who indulge in it back-track like crazy the minute it strikes them that they may have pissed on a lucrative market.

The apology, like the original sentiment, is invariably trite and shallow.

Like I observed before, if the leader of my country then rewarded said Air Head by sharing a function with them, I'd feel particular contempt for that leader.

That's the real issue here IMO: not the spew of one more untalented hack.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

I've never understood why people will choose to be offended and express their outrage over the most ridiculous of things. Let's get some perspective. He's this season's viral star. A few months back we're all singing "Call Me Maybe". Who gives a fuck what he said nearly 10 years ago? If you don't like it, just don't support him. But what one "viral loser of the month" says 10 years ago is inconsequential compared to such truly offensive things that take place around the world on a daily basis.

This story is about as misdirected and overblown as the one with the radio pranksters and the nurse that committed suicide.

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    Like I observed before, if the leader of my country then rewarded said Air Head by sharing a function with them, I'd feel particular contempt for that leader.

That's the real issue here IMO: not the spew of one more untalented hack.
    That's a bit much, don't you think?

I imagine he'll be asked not to play the function this weekend. But Obama is not 'sharing a function with him'. It's an event that occurs every year that the President attends. That's it.

I suppose we should check his iPod and erase anything with Bono on it. And God forbid if he has any rap.
    Last edited by Poisoned Youth; 12-08-2012 at 07:42 PM.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

And like Psy, this thread's "15 minutes" will be expiring shortly.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Hey, it was fun while it lasted!

BG

meimjustalawnmower
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    A few months back we're all singing "Call Me Maybe".
    I don't even know what that is.

Hey, look! An ignorant rapper!

Don't see many of them!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Seriously? Big fucking deal. Last time I checked us "proud Americans" were pushing the same freedom of speech onto other countries. Now we're getting our panties all wadded up over someone actually exercising that same right? Seems pretty damned hypocritical.

I hope some of you are at least half as concerned about some of the shit US elected officials are saying. Assuming you're even aware of it.

Why the hell would we care about elected officials?

This is fucking Psy, dude! You know, the "Gangnam Style" guy! This guy's important!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I suppose we should check his iPod and erase anything with Bono on it. And God forbid if he has any rap.
    YES. Loving you is easy cos you're beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Seriously? Big fucking deal. Last time I checked us "proud Americans" were pushing the same freedom of speech onto other countries. Now we're getting our panties all wadded up over someone actually exercising that same right? Seems pretty damned hypocritical.

I hope some of you are at least half as concerned about some of the shit US elected officials are saying. Assuming you're even aware of it.
    Well said...that's the real deal.

Apology = dollar signs publicity stunt.
    A few months back we're all singing "Call Me Maybe".
    Maybe you were.
    This story is about as misdirected and overblown as the one with the radio pranksters and the nurse that committed suicide.
    That is damn scary. A symtom of the overtly PC world we live in?

Quote Originally Posted by East New York View Post
    I love Psy
    Oh God, why???

If it wasn't for the Fox Newschannel spouting off on this ad nauseum 24/7, I'd have no idea who Psy was or that he'd apologized

BG

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    If it wasn't for the Fox Newschannel spouting off on this ad nauseum 24/7, I'd have no idea who Psy was or that he'd apologized

BG
    Have they connected Psy to Bill Ayres yet? It's only a matter of time.