Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 50 of 50

Thread: Anthony Phillips box set--pre order now available plus track listing

  1. #26
    Member Gizmotron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Southwest
    Posts
    853
    Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    I really like your last line Gizmotron! It tells a whole story, one I can understand.
    Ha ha. Thanks, Interbellum.

    I can still remember the day i stumbled across "The Geese and the Ghost" LP in Sam Goody's in NY in the Spring of 1977. Having been a big Genesis fan for the previous couple of years I immediately recognized his name but the additional sticker that mentioned Mike R and Phil C cinched the deal. I was enthralled with the music when I listened and it often served to calm and center me in my crazed-teenager moments. And then over the years the surprise-in-the-record store moment when I came across his most recent records would be repeated.

    The man just has such a wonderful sense of melody and his command of the piano and the guitar makes for lovely music. May the man produce many more wonderful titles for us all!

  2. #27
    Member Koreabruce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Chuncheon, South Korea
    Posts
    701
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    Ha ha. Thanks, Interbellum.

    I can still remember the day i stumbled across "The Geese and the Ghost" LP in Sam Goody's in NY in the Spring of 1977. Having been a big Genesis fan for the previous couple of years I immediately recognized his name but the additional sticker that mentioned Mike R and Phil C cinched the deal. I was enthralled with the music when I listened and it often served to calm and center me in my crazed-teenager moments. And then over the years the surprise-in-the-record store moment when I came across his most recent records would be repeated.

    The man just has such a wonderful sense of melody and his command of the piano and the guitar makes for lovely music. May the man produce many more wonderful titles for us all!
    I could almost have written this myself. Thanks from me, too, Gizmotron! You could say that his is an immediately identifiable style that is highly individual; quirky in its own way, it's true, but a smart kind of quirky. More than that, there's a special lyrical quality to Ant's music wholly unique to him that never fails to move me.

  3. #28
    Member bill g's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Near Mount Rainier
    Posts
    1,909
    Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    I could almost have written this myself. Thanks from me, too, Gizmotron! You could say that his is an immediately identifiable style that is highly individual; quirky in its own way, it's true, but a smart kind of quirky. More than that, there's a special lyrical quality to Ant's music wholly unique to him that never fails to move me.
    Me too, very hauntingly beautiful on a deep level, that is totally unique. For some reason I don't hear this as much on some of the later releases, 'Geese', 'Wise', 'Private Parts vol 1, some of 2, 6 (Ivory Moon), 8 (New England), and 10 (Soiree) I find very moving.

  4. #29
    Banned Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    4209′30″N 7108′43″W
    Posts
    2,516
    Has anyone else noticed glitches on some of the CDs? I was going half crazy last night trying to spot blemishes on the surface of a couple of them, to no avail.

    For instance, Disc 4, 3rd to last track, Gypsy Suite Movement III (Evening Circle) has a couple of loud clicks around 3:10. I thought just maybe it was not only my copy, so I downloaded Spotify for the sole purpose of trying to find out, played that track, and voila, the clicks are there. They are not present on the Gypsy Suite album itself.

  5. #30
    Insect Overlord Progatron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    southern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,473
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Has anyone else noticed glitches on some of the CDs? I was going half crazy last night trying to spot blemishes on the surface of a couple of them, to no avail.

    For instance, Disc 4, 3rd to last track, Gypsy Suite Movement III (Evening Circle) has a couple of loud clicks around 3:10. I thought just maybe it was not only my copy, so I downloaded Spotify for the sole purpose of trying to find out, played that track, and voila, the clicks are there. They are not present on the Gypsy Suite album itself.
    I've just checked, and indeed they are there, although I wouldn't call them loud. Although I didn't put the actual CD in, I just checked my own personal rip of it, since I was able to do it in under 30 seconds. I haven't noticed any glitches with this set otherwise.

    Just scrolled up in the thread and saw that I claimed I would be passing on this set. Ha, that didn't last long! I wasn't able to pass up the bonus tracks (on this or the PP&P boxes!)
    Two boys have been found rubbing linseed oil into the school cormorant.

  6. #31
    Banned Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    4209′30″N 7108′43″W
    Posts
    2,516
    From Chez Ant,


    Field Day 3 disc edition (News date 22-8-18)

    Field Day
    Esoteric Recordings is pleased to announce the release of a 3 disc edition (2 CDs, 1 DVD) of Field Day, the beautiful instrumental double album originally released in 2005. The album saw Anthony utilise 6-string guitar, 10-string guitar, 12-string guitar, cittern, bouzouki, charango and mandolin to great effect with Field Day receiving a warm response from Anthony Phillips aficionados upon its release.

    With this new edition, Ant has revisited the recordings, re-mastering the original stereo mixes and has created a 5.1 Surround sound mix with engineer James Collins. The results bring a new life to the compositions and a much loved album. This 3 disc digipack edition includes a booklet with new essay by Jonathan Dann and comments from Anthony Phillips.

    The new edition of Field Day is due for release on 26th October 2018 and is available to pre-order now from Cherry Red and Amazon.


    Unclear whether any clicks will have been added during the mixing and mastering process as with Harvest of the Heart.

  7. #32
    Member Gizmotron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Southwest
    Posts
    853
    Yes, I just saw that about 30 minutes ago and--of course--pre-ordered it!

  8. #33
    so how does a solo acoustic guitar album translate to surround sound? I actually still don't have a surround setup so have been unable to enjoy the remixes anyways but seems like there wouldn't be much to separate and surround you with in this case?

  9. #34
    Member yesman1955's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Texas USA
    Posts
    126
    With a skilled engineer at the controls, a multi-track recording of solo guitars can be rendered into a 3-D space that can, depending on the quality of your 5.1 playback gear, make you feel as if Anthony is sitting in the middle of your listening room, playing just for you.

  10. #35
    Member Gizmotron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Southwest
    Posts
    853
    A very good overview of the original recording:
    https://www.genesis-news.com/c-Antho...eview-s57.html

  11. #36
    Banned Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    4209′30″N 7108′43″W
    Posts
    2,516
    Field Day '05 was the album that ended a 6 year drought without any new Ant material back then.

    We're in another 6 year drought, so far.

  12. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post

    I can still remember the day i stumbled across "The Geese and the Ghost" LP in Sam Goody's in NY in the Spring of 1977. Having been a big Genesis fan for the previous couple of years I immediately recognized his name but the additional sticker that mentioned Mike R and Phil C cinched the deal. I was enthralled with the music when I listened and it often served to calm and center me in my crazed-teenager moments. And then over the years the surprise-in-the-record store moment when I came across his most recent records would be repeated.
    I remember finding several of Ant's albums at Wax Stax. I think they were cut out copies, certainly they were all . I think at the time it was the original Private Parts And Pieces, along volumes 3, 4, and 5, and I think there might have been one or two others. I don't think The Geese And The Ghost was in there, but 1984 and Invisible Men might have been.

    Anyway, I remember initially if it could be the same Anthony Phillips, since I hadn't seen any mention in any of the books I had read about Genesis that he had a solo career. But then I flipped PP&P over, and saw the comment in the liner notes about how one of the pieces was partially derived from an old Genesis song, and of course, Mike's name thus appeared in the byline for that piece, so I knew it had to be him. I think I bought that one first, then ended up buying most of the others over time.

    I think I have most of Ant's catalog up through PP&P VIII. I don't have any of the Missing Links records, and I don't have the boxsets (except for the second PP&P box) but I've got most of the other regular releases, and in a few cases I've got two copies of this or that record. That's why Ive been slow to buy the Esoteric releases, because I've got most of them from the previous Voiceprint series of reissues, and I just don't dig re-buying stuff (surround sound doesn't interest me that much, because a. I don't have a surround sound set up at the moment, at b. the surround sound mixes I've heard didn't thrill me, merely putting a stereo mix in the front, and then slapping some reverb on the rear speakers, as if to emulate the sound you'd hear if you were listening to the music in an empty concert hall...boring!).

  13. #38
    Banned Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    4209′30″N 7108′43″W
    Posts
    2,516
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    the surround sound mixes I've heard didn't thrill me, merely putting a stereo mix in the front, and then slapping some reverb on the rear speakers, as if to emulate the sound you'd hear if you were listening to the music in an empty concert hall...boring!).
    You're listening to the wrong surround material. The only thing I've heard that resembles that description is the UK Night After Night remix from the Ultimate Collector's Edition box, and Jobson was pretty upfront about that, announcing that the 'surround' aspect was accomplished by mixing in some channels recorded on mics out in the hall from tapes they discovered.

  14. #39
    Member bill g's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Near Mount Rainier
    Posts
    1,909
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I don't have any of the Missing Links records
    The first one, 'Fingerpaintings' has a couple of brilliant things on it, namely 'Tropical Moon Over Dorking Suite', which has those haunting late autumn dynamic chords that he and Tony Banks occasionally come up with, and uses a combination of piano and keyboards, which is nice as Ant typically will do just one or the other. That piece is really great. Also, the closer, 'Paradise Found' is quite mesmerizingly beautiful. Three-Piece Suite has some great chords, and the opening track is also very good.

  15. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    The first one, 'Fingerpaintings' has a couple of brilliant things on it, namely 'Tropical Moon Over Dorking Suite', which has those haunting late autumn dynamic chords that he and Tony Banks occasionally come up with, and uses a combination of piano and keyboards, which is nice as Ant typically will do just one or the other. That piece is really great. Also, the closer, 'Paradise Found' is quite mesmerizingly beautiful. Three-Piece Suite has some great chords, and the opening track is also very good.
    Well, hopefully, at some point, Esoteric will reissue those (if they haven't already, that is).

  16. #41
    Banned Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    4209′30″N 7108′43″W
    Posts
    2,516
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Field Day '05 was the album that ended a 6 year drought without any new Ant material back then.

    We're in another 6 year drought, so far.
    Speaking of the 6 year drought, Esoteric is now going to give the Clamshell Box treatment to a 6 year old record, his penultimate release, "Seventh Heaven", with Andrew Skeet.

    https://burningshed.com/anthony-phil..._category=true

    Presumably this will include the tracks from Ant & Skeet's discontinued soundcloud page that gave a preview of Seventh Heaven material, but were left off the actual release (some of which are on his library recordings under different titles).
    Last edited by Dave (in MA); 11-29-2018 at 05:11 PM.

  17. #42
    Member Gizmotron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Southwest
    Posts
    853
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Speaking of the 6 year drought, Esoteric is now going to give the Clamshell Box treatment to a 6 year old record, his penultimate release, "Seventh Heaven", with Andrew Skeet.

    https://burningshed.com/anthony-phil..._category=true

    Presumably this will include the tracks from Ant & Skeet's discontinued soundcloud page that gave a preview of Seventh Heaven material, but were left off the actual release (some of which are on his library recordings under different titles).
    I did spot that a day or two ago and I will have to order it.
    It is an excellent album for anyone who likes orchestral music.

    Perhaps from my favorite is this:

    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mmgcp9evK7E

    Just gorgeous.

  18. #43
    Member bill g's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Near Mount Rainier
    Posts
    1,909
    I'm going to revisit 'Seventh Heaven'. It didn't connect with me like most of his material, especially his more orchestrated stuff, and didn't come close to Tony Banks' 'Five', for me, but many have expressed their love for it, so I think, especially as his music is so much about mood, that I just wasn't there to catch the mood. Think I'll give it another go tonight.

  19. #44
    Member bill g's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Near Mount Rainier
    Posts
    1,909
    Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    I'm going to revisit 'Seventh Heaven'. It didn't connect with me like most of his material, especially his more orchestrated stuff, and didn't come close to Tony Banks' 'Five', for me, but many have expressed their love for it, so I think, especially as his music is so much about mood, that I just wasn't there to catch the mood. Think I'll give it another go tonight.
    Okay, I'll eat those words. I connected with it last night. 'A Richer Earth' was especially magnificent, and many beautiful pieces followed.

  20. #45
    Member Gizmotron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Southwest
    Posts
    853
    Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Okay, I'll eat those words. I connected with it last night. 'A Richer Earth' was especially magnificent, and many beautiful pieces followed.
    Great to hear.

    I think one of the issues is that Tony Banks orchestral CDs are only 4 to 6 pieces and thus, they are fairly long. One can get a feel for the pieces fairly quickly because of that. Ant's "Seventh Heaven" consists of many, many shorter pieces. It can be a bit harder to wrap one's mind around a CD like that. And it is a double CD so again, there is lots of material to assimilate.

    I suggest:
    Listen. Rinse. Repeat.

  21. #46
    Banned Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    4209′30″N 7108′43″W
    Posts
    2,516
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Presumably this will include the tracks from Ant & Skeet's discontinued soundcloud page that gave a preview of Seventh Heaven material, but were left off the actual release (some of which are on his library recordings under different titles).
    I thought, based on the track durations, that the two tracks on CD3 leading up to Take This Heart were going to be these two pieces under new titles, but apparently they remain works orphaned from the regular AP discography--though they seem to be found among some of his library music: http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...l=1#post790500.

  22. #47
    Member Gizmotron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Southwest
    Posts
    853
    ...I just ordered the new version of Seventh Heaven. I thought I could resist.






    I couldn't.

  23. #48
    Banned Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    4209′30″N 7108′43″W
    Posts
    2,516
    Same here. Now I have to get around to getting the surround version of Field Day before they go extinct.

  24. #49
    Member zorknapp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Jersey City, NJ
    Posts
    115
    I have to say, every one of these reissues have been worth getting, you won't regret the purchase of Seventh Heaven or Field Day.

    Mike
    Tabletop Genesis - A Genesis and solo career focused podcast, featuring the opinions of Tom Roche, Stacy Godfrey, Simon Godfrey, Eli Noetinger, and Mike Lord - Listen on I-Tunes, or at http://tabletopgenesis.com/ Twitter: @genesistabletop Facebook: www.facebook.com/TabletopGenesis

  25. #50
    Member ombasan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    69
    I already own the orignial 2CD version of Field day but cannot really justify to buy it again. A (solo) guitar album in surround? How does it come along - is there really a need for this? Please enlighten me... :-)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •