Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Music format changes in 30 years

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar

Music format changes in 30 years

We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Download albums I've become ok with. Download singles can kiss my ass!

Cool graphic. I'm showing my age here, but that red pie slice looks like PacMan, eating everything in its path.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Download albums I've become ok with. Download singles can kiss my ass!
    Downloading is probably the only way I'd consider buying a single. Is it still possible to buy physical format singles?

Those numbers put into perspective the so-called "resurgence of vinyl". From a low of less than 1% a few years ago, it's up to a whopping 3%.
    Last edited by bob_32_116; 08-22-2014 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Downloading is probably the only way I'd consider buying a single. Is it still possible to buy physical format singles?
    try ebay and/or artists' websites or bandcamp pages.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    try ebay and/or artists' websites or bandcamp pages.
    Maybe I didn't make myself clear. I meant to say that I wouldn't bother with physical format singles. Too much fiddling around for a given amount of musical enjoyment.

Of course, naturally I bought vinyl singles back in the 1960's, but was always frustrated by the shortness of the playing time. Albums were a much more enjoyable listening experience, provided the album did not simply consist of one or two singles plus filler.

I thought by " Download singles" they meant individual songs - whichever you want - off of albums, not songs that were also released as physical singles.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Cool graphic. I'm showing my age here, but that red pie slice looks like PacMan, eating everything in its path.
    before that red Pac Man, there was a yellow one tht represented cassettes...

Which is proff that CD did bot kill vinyl... Cassette did... and CD killed the cassette

So Vinyl lovers hating CDs, take notice.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    before that red Pac Man, there was a yellow one that represented cassettes...

Which is proof that CD did not kill vinyl... Cassette did... and CD killed the cassette

Of course if anybody had invented a turntable that could play records in your car, none of this woulda hadda happen.

The next five years will be interesting. I bet we see the CD shrink well below 10% with DL and Streaming taking it's place.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Of course if anybody had invented a turntable that could play records in your car, none of this woulda hadda happen.
    Been done. Lennon had one back in the '60's. Don't know how good they worked.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    I think they worked fine, but there were too many road accidents caused by drivers taking their hands off the wheel to pick pieces of dust off the stylus.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    I think they worked fine, but there were too many road accidents caused by drivers taking their hands off the wheel to pick pieces of dust off the stylus.
    let alone trying to stop the vinyl falling from the tt when driving over cobblestones roads
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    I bet we see the CD shrink well below 10% with DL and Streaming taking it's place.
    "Stream-on-demand" where you choose the tracks and pay a small monthly fee? Yeah, it could happen.

"Stream-on-demand" where you choose the tracks and pay a small monthly fee? Yeah, it could happen.
    ALATHACA

That's my new rallying cry RE streaming services: "As Long As They Have All Cast Albums."

Not that I'm the hugest Cast fan, but I do have almost all their albums, and might need to hear any one at any time. And a streaming prog music library should be robust enough to have ALL Cast albums.

Original cast albums? Or will you accept off-Broadway productions too?

Turntable that could play records in your car.Brilliant.How about vice versa.

Budget set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Modry Effekt View Post
    Turntable that could play records in your car.Brilliant.How about vice versa.

I want one !!

Remember DAT and Mini disc?

DAT was absolutely great sounding.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post

DAT was absolutely great sounding.
    And MiniDisk very convenient for car play.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

MiniDiscs were great. They had the re-recordability, portability, and durability of cassettes with the relative sound quality of CDs. I was disappointed that the technology never took off in the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    before that red Pac Man, there was a yellow one tht represented cassettes...

Which is proff that CD did bot kill vinyl... Cassette did... and CD killed the cassette

I know that when I started buying music in the early '80s, I almost always bought cassettes over LPs. I have more vinyl now than I did when I was a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by tom unbound View Post
    I want one !!
    Make me an offer on mine. Never been out of the box. A friend bought it for me as a gag gift. Mine is a light green van.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    DAT and it's predecessor, the Sony PCM Digital Audio Processor (1984), which used VHS tapes, both rely on tapes as the medium. As such, you must rewind the tape or fast forward it to get to a particular place in the music.

The beauty of MiniDisc (which I still have one) is that it is random access like a computer disc, which is basically what it is. That means you can start recording without rewinding or finding a blank spot on the disc. It means that you never risk erasing content by accident, or losing a recording because you run out of tape. The idea was brilliant, and I still cherish mine.