Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why aren't these guys more popular?

Why aren't these guys more popular?

Deleted until I figure out how to post from youtube.

Edit: Thanks to Geoff and Paulrus, I figured it out. Okay see post #4. I'm wondering if cirrus bay is slipping under people's radar, or if its just more my thing than others...
    Last edited by perpetual strange; 08-22-2014 at 12:30 AM.

Video done as follows:

[*video]youtube link[/*video]

Remove the two *

e.g. [*video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5hvHEBLNpI&index=2&list=PLAW_5mZ0P18sMtwJ 5vJpCVJh9j4cNOYah[*/video]

but remove the two *
    "One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"
    Thumpermonkey - How I Wrote The French Lieutenant's Woman

"I'm content to listen to what I like and keep my useless negative opinions about what I don't like to myself -- because no one is interested in hearing those anyway, and it contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation."
    aith01

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff O'Donoghue View Post
    Video done as follows:

[*video]youtube link[/*video]

Remove the two *

e.g. [*video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5hvHEBLNpI&index=2&list=PLAW_5mZ0P18sMtwJ 5vJpCVJh9j4cNOYah[*/video]

but remove the two *
    Or you could just tap the little video icon in the comments editing toolbar, then paste the video share link, and voila!
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Thank you. I'm trying this now:

this song is totally sweet, and I wonder why it isn't more loved. Then there's also:

That wasn't so hard

Sorry, but I can't stand this type of music, I think of it as prog-by-numbers. Also, if she was singing in front of a folk band I'd lover her voice, but as it is, it just gets in the way, it is far too forward and up in the mix.

For the record I don't like bands like Flower Kings, Kaipa or Karmakanik either.

After skimming through those - the music is ok... but falls flat - recording? mix? The singer sounds meh... like she was told to go find some holes in the music and sing something - she doesnt feel integrated at some points like there is no connection to the music. Overall just flat tire. Meh.

Did not like that at all
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Ouch that hurts guys! Only because it is very emotional music to me. For the record, I'm not much into Kaipa or Karmakanik either, but relate this a bit more like Camel or something. Anyway, one man's treasure and all...

Suspended
    After reading the diverging opinions about these clips I had to listen for myself. My verdict: this music is quite nice, nothing more. It seems to be trying hard to be progressive, yet seems somehow under-produced for the genre. It has a very "home demo" sound to it. Also that first song has fragments that sound awfully like the instrumental portion of Macarthur Park, so similar in fact that while it might not actually be plagiarism, I found it very annoying.

Let's put things in perspective - these song clips are still better than 95% of what I hear these days on the radio... but they did not get me fired up and enthusiastic.

I thought that this band is pretty well known. At least I definitely had heard of it and some of the music as well.
    I think that the best neo prog band nowdays is Moonrise from Poland. No other band can match their incredibly melodic compositions. They're not too original or complex but in this case it doesn't matter, everything is compensated with great singing, guitars and keyboards.

I'm not a big fan of neo (used to be but my tastes have gotten much more angular), but I've really liked Cirrus Bay since I heard their 1st album & own all 4 now. To me they aren't neo, but rather symph with a nod to melodic pop. If PE member bill g was going to post in this thread, he won't now! (j/k Bill)

Chacun a son gout! (just French for YMMV)
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I don't like bands like Flower Kings, Kaipa or Karmakanik either.
    Neither do I, nor any of their "relations" - yet I DO enjoy the two Cirrus Bay albums I've got, and especially A Step Into Elsewhere. There are some rather peculiar chord progressions and instrumental voicings that you'd never find among those (admittedly very dull) acts you mention, still I actually don't think Bill G's aim is to "try and sound progressive" - it's all about expressing a musical sentiment that reflects your influences and impressions.

On the other hand, to the OP; you appear to care very much for this band (I seem to note you're mentioning them in almost every post of yours that I've read ), but there are literally hundreds and hundreds of (allegedly) under-appreciated (purpotedly) "prog" artists out there to compete with. In fact I'd dare say there's probably a more or less obscure band for every two or three self-declared "prog" fans in the world.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Funny, I've seen this thread all day and finally clicked on to it and lo and behold its us?!

Perpetual Strange, thanks for posting these so some can hear our stuff and decide for themselves if they like us or not. I've come to realize we're definitely not eveyone's cuppa as they say. PM me when you get a chance & we'll talk

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Neither do I, nor any of their "relations" - yet I DO enjoy the two Cirrus Bay albums I've got, and especially A Step Into Elsewhere. There are some rather peculiar chord progressions and instrumental voicings that you'd never find among those (admittedly very dull) acts you mention, still I actually don't think Bill G's aim is to "try and sound progressive" - it's all about expressing a musical sentiment that reflects your influences and impressions.
    Thanks SS for understanding us. Yes I certainly don't try to sound 'anything', just write what I feel. Obviously chord progressions are my cuppa
    Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I'm not a big fan of neo (used to be but my tastes have gotten much more angular), but I've really liked Cirrus Bay since I heard their 1st album & own all 4 now. To me they aren't neo, but rather symph with a nod to melodic pop. If PE member bill g was going to post in this thread, he won't now! (j/k Bill)

Chacun a son gout! (just French for YMMV)
    Really, all 4? That's awesome Steve, thanks!! Yeah I don't worry about how we're classified and don't try to be any one thing, but I do sometimes find it surprising if we're classified as neo, since I'm not really a neo fan!

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Also that first song has fragments that sound awfully like the instrumental portion of Macarthur Park
    Really? The 60s song? I haven't heard that song in decades, will have to seek it out and take a listen!

As to the vocals sounding flat, I guess that's an opinion thing. I happen to think Amy Darby is one of the best in the business. And I quite like Sharra and Anisha's voices too. They don't have powerful voices, but sometimes powerful voices annoy me, I can't say why.

Cheers!

Bill

Amy Darby is an amazing singer imo.

The band she's in (I'm reticent to say "her band", lest you get the wrong picture), Thieves' Kitchen, is one of my favorite of the current bands
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

The band she's in (I'm reticent to say "her band", lest you get the wrong picture), Thieves' Kitchen, is one of my favorite of the current bands
    Mine too! We were really honored to have her and Phil on our cd!

have all 4... I'm a fan

"Angels die, redemption rages
    The age of man on an empty page
    And chances are
    This will save your soul or break it forever "

Quote Originally Posted by Kanukisbrave View Post
    have all 4... I'm a fan
    Thank you Kanukisbrave, we really appreciate that

The band she's in (I'm reticent to say "her band", lest you get the wrong picture), Thieves' Kitchen
    To me, Thieves' Kitchen is the perfectly British counterpart to Cirrus Bay's sense of "American". Just hinting at the OP here, unless he's already heard TK.

But personally I actually think Sharra and Anisha are the exact voxes I'd pick for Cirrus' music. I never liked the overly affectionate, pseudo-operatic or superficially emotional and anemic femi vox I get from too many prog/metal kinda bands these days. Singers like Amy Darby and Elaine di Falco are the greatest of their kind nowadays, IMO.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

To me, Thieves' Kitchen is the perfectly British counterpart to Cirrus Bay's sense of "American". Just hinting at the OP here, unless he's already heard TK.

Singers like Amy Darby and Elaine di Falco are the greatest of their kind nowadays, IMO.
    Amy and Elaine are two of my very favorites, absolutely! To say TK is the British counterpart to us is a huge compliment to us, as they are much more talented than we. So thank you!

Don't be so f'ng humble. Mr Gillham!

But personally I actually think Sharra and Anisha are the exact voxes I'd pick for Cirrus' music. I never liked the overly affectionate, pseudo-operatic or superficially emotional and anemic femi vox I get from too many prog/metal kinda bands these days. Singers like Amy Darby and Elaine di Falco are the greatest of their kind nowadays, IMO.
    Yes, I really like Thieves' Kitchen, especially their last three albums. Yes, I'd put them in the same world as Cirrus Bay, where composition is more important than chops. Although Thieves' Kitchen has the chops. You are right, I've included cirrus bay a lot in posts, but generally when we're talking about favorites for the year and such. I do have some posts where they aren't mentioned, I'm pretty sure I don't know, I get tired of talking about Yes all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by perpetual strange View Post
    I don't know, I get tired of talking about Yes all the time.
    When you are vilified and castigated for that apparently blasphemous attitude, remember.....there is a safe haven from Yes threads among the few non obsessive/compulsive Yes maniacs here!

I heard clips several months ago and added each of the albums to my "list". Just received "The Search for Joy" on Wednesday.

WOW!!!

I typically prefer male vocalists to female, and love heavy keyboard driven NEO or even ProgMetal.

Despite this, WOW.

Song of the Wind blew me away. I loved it. Loved the entire album!

I cannot wait to pick up the entire catalog.

Bill G - Fantastic, thank you

Quote Originally Posted by perpetual strange View Post
    I get tired of talking about Yes all the time.
    You'll find the going hard 'round these here parts with that attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Rangershockey7 View Post
    I heard clips several months ago and added each of the albums to my "list". Just received "The Search for Joy" on Wednesday.

WOW!!!

I typically prefer male vocalists to female, and love heavy keyboard driven NEO or even ProgMetal.

Despite this, WOW.

Song of the Wind blew me away. I loved it. Loved the entire album!

I cannot wait to pick up the entire catalog.

Bill G - Fantastic, thank you
    Just so you know, you're comment makes up for all the bad comments this album has ever received. And it has received quite a few! It also makes up for the slight embarrassment I, for some reason, feel about this thread. (probably just my own insecurities) So thank you!

And Steve, you know what they say, if you don't humble yourself, someone else will. Seriously, though I'd love to be able to play like Phil. When I solo at home, it sounds more to me like a 2nd rate Andy Latimer (on some days 3rd rate). Phil, on the other hand, plays faster than I can even think!