Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is it still Renaissance if only one "Original" member remains??

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    For me, Haslam and Dunford were the core of what I love about Renaissance.

Dunford is dead, but he was very much involved with their latest album, which is excellent:

http://www.progstreaming.com/_wb/pag...y%20Of%20Light

So, case closed. This discussion is getting old.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    The last Renaissance album I own is In the land of the rising sun. Besides Annie Haslam only Dunford and Sullivan are from the original line-up. I like that album.

On Camera camera, only Annie Haslam, Dunford and Camp remain from the original line-up.

Ertttt... none of them three were in the original line-up
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Ertttt... none of them three were in the original line-up
    Of course, I ment the original Annie Haslam line-up, as I mentioned in my post.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adm.Kirk View Post
    I don't think there is a clear cut answer. Some bands are fine with one original member: Yes, Uriah Heep, King Crimson, Camel. Can you imagine the Stones down to just one member? It wouldn't work, no matter who the one original was. Could Led Zeppelin tour with only Plant, Page or Jones? No. I didn't think it was a great idea for The Who to keep the name at first, but I've adjusted to it, particularly since hearing the new Quadrophenia Live CD which sounds as close to The Who as you are ever going to get. Renaissance, I'm on the fence about, since I haven't really paid much attention to them past the early 80's records. I always loved Camp and Dunford. Camp is a great bassist. I don't blame Annie for keeping the flame going though.

Bill
    Actually, Mick Jagger with a similar type of band would still sound like the Stones to me.

Just thought of another good example of a band down to one member and still doing well:

The Alarm

Andy Powell's Wishbone Ash sounds just fine with Andy & 3 kids.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post

Just thought of another good example of a band down to one member and still doing well:

The Alarm
    Yeah. the Mike Peters lineup was really good. Seems to be defunct though, as Mike went to Big Country for awhile and is about to tour the US solo.

I think the question is: When does a band turn into a caricature of itself? When does it turn into a tribute band?
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
    I think the question is: When does a band turn into a caricature of itself? When does it turn into a tribute band?
    Good question.

^ And the answer can rarely be reduced to number of original members, and is frequently highly subjective.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by 3RDegree_Robert View Post
    I think (and Yes bears this out) that member longevity is pretty important so while even a Steve Howe isn't an original member and isn't even on every album after he joined, he was part of a lineup that was the most revered. So I guess the word we're looking for is "best-known" or "classic" lineup rather than "original". Despite a first album with Rutsey, Rush is known for Peart being the drummer. Yes's classic lineup is on albums 4-6. Genesis, albums 3-6. Etc.
    For Yes, I'd say albums 3 through 5. After CttE, they jumped and became more of a rock band to me. Genesis? 3 to 6 sounds about right, even though, like Yes, I like some of the later stuff as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post

caricature of itself - when a band contines to tour and record without any desire to say anything new.
    a tribute band? - When a band stops recording new material, but continues to tour its back catalogue year after year. (ie sadly Kansas)

"Angels die, redemption rages
    The age of man on an empty page
    And chances are
    This will save your soul or break it forever "

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Next I would say is John Tout on keyboards.....
    .....consider it takes two keyboard players to cover his work in the current band.
    No, it takes one to cover John Tout, and one to cover the orchestra.

Funny story:

At Nearfest, I talked to Rave Tesar, the guy who plays Tout's piano parts. He remarked that "Running Hard" was particularly difficult to play, because the classical quote with which it opens was originally written for two separate keyboards on a pipe organ, and has both hands almost on top of one another. However, Tout managed to play it on piano, and Tesar had learned to do so as well. I said, "but you have two keyboards in your setup. You could do it the original way." And he said, "NOOOOO! Don't tell me that! Don't make me think that! Now it's going to confuse me."