Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Genesis: Something Happening?!?

Quote Originally Posted by r2daft2 View Post
    I'm not interested in buying this - or even rescuing a copy from the bargain bins in a couple of years time. However...

I think it is interesting to note that this compilation does give the early material a proportionally high profile and SH & TB getting 3 solo tracks each rather than being pushed out by the list of hits that PG, PC and even MR have had. It is a "highlights" compilation but not simply a "best selling singles" set.

I can't help but think that the success of SH's Genesis Revisited tour has really made its mark on the attitudes of the other members towards their early catalogue. Steve could very easily have been sidelined on this one.
    Overall, that's got to be a good thing hasn't it?
    Steve said none of Genesis reached out to him to comment or give him praise for the Genesis Revisited tour--he wasn't sure if any of them ever listened to the album---It's clear to me that in Tony's mind, Genesis is 3 guys---but he'd do a tour with Peter and Steve if Peter agreed to it (Steve already has)---Tony seems to have forgotten how great the Second's Out line up was.

Summary of thread:

Genesis: Nothing Happening.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Philip Bailey ruined Phil Collins.

New Lineup:

Mike Rutherford, Bass
    Daryl Stuermer, Guitar
    Geoff Downes, Keyboards
    Carl Groves, Vocals
    Simon Collins, Drums

It's as Genesis as Yes is Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    New Lineup:

Mike Rutherford, Bass
    Daryl Stuermer, Guitar
    Geoff Downes, Keyboards
    Carl Groves, Vocals
    Simon Collins, Drums

What are you, some kind of Guppet?

"Stay tuned for some exciting Genesis news here tomorrow"
    Hmm, think we need to re-evaluate the meaning of the words "exciting" and "news". Lol Hi everyone. Just joined the forum. If it's about the "Archive" I saw about it a few days ago. Can't see alot of point, apart from the obvious cash rewards. Although there are some interesting song choices, and if nothing else it might help to generate awareness for the lesser known solo work. I do have friends who are huge Genesis and Collins fans, but don't own a single Hackett album and would probably sing sledge hammer if you mention Gabriel. I notice that Small Creep's day has been over looked as usual in this compilation. As for genesis doing another tour, well it would be nice, but I could live without it, if only they'd just get together for a new album. God knows what it would be like, but it would surely be interesting and quality stuff of some kind. We may all dream.

Nothing happening here...

gg.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post

gg.jpg
    Nice picture.

Thanks for posting that. Is that from the recent meeting regarding the BBC documentary?

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Nice picture.

Thanks for posting that. Is that from the recent meeting regarding the BBC documentary?
    Yes, I'm sure there will be more photos of that cropping up over time. I like this photo a bit more compared to the other one floating around out there now, although they're both well done.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I'm only interested if the line up is:

Ray Wilson - vocals & rhythm guitar
    Tony Banks - keys
    Mike Rutherford - bass
    Anthony Phillips - lead guitar
    John Silver - drums
    I'd really love to see that!!

Quote Originally Posted by zorknapp View Post
    Yes, I'm sure there will be more photos of that cropping up over time.
    Quality pun.

gg.jpg
    At the top of the stairs there's hundreds of people...

Quote Originally Posted by progfan915 View Post

I'd really love to see that!!
    Me too, it would combine a 60s, early 70s feel with a new school singer. I thought he was brilliant in Stiltskin. Could you imagine a kind of retro-hard rock-prog Genesis. It'd be great.

Quote Originally Posted by firth5th View Post
    Wish they'd release the trick concert on DVD. Take out all the bullshit video images of rocks rolling down a hill et al. Show the full set list. Include images from both nights.
    Totally Agree!

Abacab is back on Spotify! Yay!!
    That is the news.

gg.jpg
    Is there a bigger version of that photo somewhere (yes, I know that's a thumb)?

The biggest I can find is :

Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

I'm Rael's.....dad!

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    New Lineup:

Mike Rutherford, Bass
    Daryl Stuermer, Guitar
    Geoff Downes, Keyboards
    Carl Groves, Vocals
    Simon Collins, Drums

Rule is you need at least 3 of the originals to call yourself Yes or Genesis

Quote Originally Posted by firth5th View Post
    Wish they'd release the trick concert on DVD. Take out all the bullshit video images of rocks rolling down a hill et al. Show the full set list. Include images from both nights.
    As do many of us. I recall reading (possibly on this very forum), that the film's maker, Tony Maylam, owns the rights to the movie and has resisted all requests to release the whole concert, or rather BOTH concerts (Glasgow & Stafford) . I don't know how much Genesis have offered him, but presumably it's either not enough, or his "artistic vision" means an awful lot to him. It's frustrating to know that these things exist and are apparently being held "prisoner". Maybe Genesis don't believe it would sell enough copies to justify paying Maylam off?

Quote Originally Posted by 2steves View Post
    Steve said none of Genesis reached out to him to comment or give him praise for the Genesis Revisited tour
    It's sad to think that after all this time that matters to him. Surely he's moved on?

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    It's sad to think that after all this time that matters to him. Surely he's moved on?
    I know it doesn't matter to Steve - he moved on a long time ago, but he is always being asked this in interviews nowadays and as always, he's open & honest about it. He does feel like the "curator" of the classic era material, as no-one else seems that interested unless/until there's a box set to be flogged. Steve is the only one who genuinely loves that material for what it is, rather than regarding it as solely a part of the past.

The quote in question that I saw was not related to the 'Genesis Revisited' project but generally. It was along the lines of, he compliments them on what they are doing and doesn't get anything back, but he's used to it. Didn't seem exactly 'bothered' by it.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    The quote in question that I saw was not related to the 'Genesis Revisited' project but generally. It was along the lines of, he compliments them on what they are doing and doesn't get anything back, but he's used to it. Didn't seem exactly 'bothered' by it.
    the quote I'm thinking of did have to do with the Genesis Revisited project --album and tour----he has moved on but if they are all on good speaking terms and friendly --you would think one of them might comment on it or go see a concert. Lot's of ex members of Yes and other groups go to see them live still. So I guess the old stuff is more important to him then to the others.

I would kill for that full Trick show to be released with the hideous film excerpts removed. It's such vintage stuff - one of the best tours they ever did, great sound and camera work, Bruford on the skins.... and we get only half the show, a portion of which is covered up with that idiotic footage. I'd love to see "White Mountain" or "Watcher Of The Skies/It"...
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***