Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scott Walker + Sunn 0))) = WOW

Suspended
    I see this album is actually on the UK chart this week, around No. 30 if I recall.

^Says more about low sales now than anything else- older artists with a dedicated fanbase usually tend to chart these days.

Haven't heard this one yet- I've only just about got to grips with 'The Drift'!

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Haven't heard this one yet- I've only just about got to grips with 'The Drift'!
    I just recently discovered Scott Walker by listening to The Drift. It was probably the weirdest listening experience of my entire life. I don't know If I'm ready to hear more right now.

^You're not alone on that here, actually, though I couldn't imagine a worse introduction!

I got into him with the 60s stuff with the Walker Brothers really, then jumped ahead to 'Climate Of Hunter' which I loved, then worked my way through his solo albums 1-4, his tracks on 'Nite Flights'...

^ The few bits I've heard from his first solo albums and 'Climate Of Hunter' sound very interesting. I'll probably need to work my way in a chronological order and come back later to the 'desperate crooning' of the most recent releases.

Suspended
    Steven Wilson is a great admirer of Scott Walker. Pieces like Raider II are very Walker-influenced. However I think Steven is better at taking weird stuff and making something listenable out of it. The few bits I've heard from Scott Waolker's later work sounds to me like weirdness for the sake of it.

Tilt is his masterpiece.

This new album's OK, but IMO the highlight is 'Lullaby' and that was done much better by Ute Lemper back on Punishing Kiss.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Well, I bought it, and I'm not overjoyed with it though i expected what i got. Its still Walker-abstract-madness, much the same as Bish Bosch. I don't think he does it just to be weird, or for the sake of being weird. I honestly think thats where he is. Which is great. Im completely fascinated with the guy. His lyrics early in his solo career are nothing short of brilliance and genius. So incredibly gifted as a writer. His vocals are amazing, killer combo.
    This isn't an album I'll put on for a Sunday afternoon with a cup of tea on the veranda for sure. Its not easy listening to my ears. Either is Bish Bosh. Climate of Hunter was the last truly accessible album for me, Drift is about where he starts to go astray for me, though thats easier than Bish Bosh. But as i said, I'm totally fascinated with him and will keep buying his work/madness

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Steven Wilson is a great admirer of Scott Walker. Pieces like Raider II are very Walker-influenced. However I think Steven is better at taking weird stuff and making something listenable out of it. The few bits I've heard from Scott Waolker's later work sounds to me like weirdness for the sake of it.
    Please explain why "weirdness for the sake of it" is fundamentally worse than "straightness for the sake of it" or "simplicity for the sake of it" or perhaps "derivative for the sake of it".
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    Tilt is his masterpiece.

This new album's OK, but IMO the highlight is 'Lullaby' and that was done much better by Ute Lemper back on Punishing Kiss.
    Somewhat surprised he's using old material here.