Thread: echolyn cancels upcoming gigs

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)

echolyn cancels upcoming gigs

I guess I can stop hoping for a Boston-area gig...

"From the band:

“echolyn is disappointed to announce that we need to cancel our three live performances this fall. In juggling family, work and school obligations we are faced with the reality that the timeline we are presented with to properly prepare to play live is simply not possible at this time. In addition to the multiple personal and professional variables, we are also deep into the recording process of finishing our 8th studio album, another major time commitment driving this difficult decision. We are sorry for the disappointment this announcement undoubtedly brings to many. Thanks for your understanding and ongoing support.”

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    So premusably this includes NJ Proghouse?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Yes, it's already on the NJ Proghouse website. I hope this doesn't hurt that festival too much. I'll still try to go for Discipline (and several other great bands, I'm sure) if I can, but losing echolyn is disappointing.

http://www.njproghouse.com/homecoming-weekend-2014/

Sorry to hear that. Not that I don't understand, for same reasons I don't do shows anymore and would so love to. But I would love to see Echolyn live, never have, and unfortunately, probably never will

Well that knocks NJ Proghouse on the head for me, I was only going to go for echolyn & Discipline and it doesn't make sense just for Discipline.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

NO!!!

Damn! I had front row seats for Montreal! I have not received any official word from the organizers here about this...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Well that knocks NJ Proghouse on the head for me, I was only going to go for echolyn & Discipline and it doesn't make sense just for Discipline.
    What if they replace Echolyn with Guapo?

This does make me a sad panda, but I would rather them have the time to finish up their album the way they want to, and then see what the touring/playing out possibilities are...

Mike

I have had the pleasure of seeing echolyn thrice. The first was the now-infamous hot-house setting of the Crocodile Rock Cafe at the first Nearfest Friday night "event", yeah, the one where hundreds of us were confined in the basement of the club seeing France's Prism and echolyn in close quarters while the upstairs "ballroom" sat relatively empty. Good times. I ventured to the Lowell Brewery a few years later to see 'em again, part of the NewEars series, great gig, and finally the Nearfest "proper" gig. Would love to see them again and would have been venturing to one of our favorite venues, Le Gesu in Montreal to do so had we not already committed to seeing Bryan Ferry in that lovely city in late September.

Disappointing, but this does open up the possibility of going to Progtoberfest now.

neil

sad for those that were going to go; but silver lining in that it sounds like we won't have to wait too long for new music from them. I thought the last one was amazing and have been on a big echolyn kick lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    What if they replace Echolyn with Guapo?
    Well I'd be there in a heartbeat wouldn't I

I think the likelihood of them booking a band that rocks my world is fairly small given my tastes. I'm holding out more hope for the Orion 20th weekend.
    Ian

Bummer. One of only two shows I had tickets for this summer/fall.
    <sig out of order>

Single day tickets are available

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Big bummer! I might still go because I've only seen Discipline. once early on. At least I've seen Echolyn a few times...

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    NO!!!

Damn! I had front row seats for Montreal! I have not received any official word from the organizers here about this...
    "echolyn show at the Gesù CANCELLED
    It is with much regret that we have to announce that the echolyn concert that was to be held at the Gesù on Friday, October 24, 2014, has been cancelled.

Here is the official statement from the band. "echolyn is disappointed to announce that they need to cancel their three live performances this fall. In juggling family, work and school obligations they are faced with the reality that the timeline they are presented with to properly prepare to play live is simply not possible at this time. In addition to the multiple personal and professional variables, they are also deep into the recording process of finishing their 8th studio album, another major time commitment driving this difficult decision. They are sorry for the disappointment this announcement undoubtedly brings to many. The band thanks you for your understanding and ongoing support."

The concert in Quebec city, scheduled for the previous day, has also been cancelled. Tickets purchased via the Gesù or Admission are reimbursed at the point of purchase. Tickets purchased via ProgQuébec will be automatically refunded via credit card."

I guess I'll have that e-mail waiting for me when I get home...

Quote Originally Posted by 3RDegree_Robert View Post
    Single day tickets are available
    Yeah, but the list of bands who I'd make a 500 mile round trip to see is pretty short & Discipline isn't on that list.
    Ian

Damn, I'm really disappointed. I wanted to hear the last CD material live. A return to older form I thought. Of course we're still going as we're also big Discipline fans. Would really love to see IZZ step in as we missed the show in Quebec last spring due to weather delays.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

While I can totally understand "life" getting in the way here, I wish the band had weighed all the factors out more closely before stating they would be in a position to play live. They made commitments to promoters who in turn made commitments to venues, printed and sold tickets etc... Now, all of a sudden they realize they did not figure things out properly? This isn't a case of an emergency (illness or otherwise) within the band, it's a case of not being able to commit the time required to honour the commitment they made. I'm a little surprised that a band that has been around as long as Echolyn would allow themselves to get into this position in the first place. I have been a staunch supporter of this band for 20 years now, and I must say that this particular snafu has greatly disappointed me. I'd have rather see them shelf the new disc for a while in order to commit to these shows. I am hoping that these cancellations might only be postponements and that the band will be able to play in the venues they were originally booked in at a later date...if the promoters feel inclined to get involved again.

Sincerely,

Sour Grapes

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I'd have rather see them shelf the new disc for a while in order to commit to these shows.
    Same here, they could've teased the audience with new ideas from their recent sessions pertaining to the next album. Loved the last one and would've been happy, ok ecstatic to hear it live along with some oldies. My workload makes it impossible to purchase tickets in advance in most cases for concerts, but I did have a big circle around the date for the Joisey show. Hoping they are able to play live in the future...
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Someone give these guys a Guggenheim grant so they can put out an album a year for the rest of my life

I have been lucky enough to see Echolyn many many times - even opened for them once in a previous band/life - as well as seeing Discipline once - and I'm wetting myself over seeing Heliopolis - so, what a rich buffet this area of music is. As much of a heart break it is to know you won't get to see Pinnacle play again (this time, with the drummer having had sleep), I totally understand and am really impressed at the depth of appreciation there is for the music of these 5 guys.