Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who gets your digital files when you die?

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Hell is all digital for some people. All analog for others.

for me, it would be no music at all
    "The Bill of Rights says nothing about the freedom of hearing. This, of course, takes a lot of the fun out of the freedom of speech." - Pat Paulsen

My Art- http://www.facebook.com/williamallenrenfro -My Life

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    That's why I've chosen not to go to either hell or heaven, but to Stynkers, a rural hillbilly hollow outside of south Spokane.
    Go brush your tooth !

Quote Originally Posted by Prehensile Pencil View Post
    Go brush your tooth !
    Damn right, and I'll be doing that while strumming Carl Palmer's inbred banjo!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Suspended
    People seem to be suggesting that you can't sell a digital download. Of course you can. You can sell it in the same way you can sell a block of land. When you buy land, no one actually puts the land in your lap to walk away with. It's not like buying a sandwich, or a coat. What you get when you buy land is pieces of paper, stored in some ofrficial repository, giving you the right to occupy the land. Likewise with digital downloads. you are not buying objects, you are buying rights.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    People seem to be suggesting that you can't sell a digital download. Of course you can. You can sell it in the same way you can sell a block of land. When you buy land, no one actually puts the land in your lap to walk away with. It's not like buying a sandwich, or a coat. What you get when you buy land is pieces of paper, stored in some ofrficial repository, giving you the right to occupy the land. Likewise with digital downloads. you are not buying objects, you are buying rights.
    It's easy to transfer land, people have been doing it for ages. Is there a "deed" to digital files?
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    It's easy to transfer land, people have been doing it for ages. Is there a "deed" to digital files?
    Well, I assumed from the OP that we were talking about digital files that you "own" by virtue of entering into some kind of agreement, like you do when you buy certain software. You could call that a "deed". Often there's a clause that says something like "you may make copies of the software solely for your own use". If it's just files that you have created yourself or freely copied from somewhere else, then clearly there is no issue - anyone with access to your computer, or wherever your files are, can get them.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Well, I assumed from the OP that we were talking about digital files that you "own" by virtue of entering into some kind of agreement, like you do when you buy certain software. You could call that a "deed". Often there's a clause that says something like "you may make copies of the software solely for your own use". If it's just files that you have created yourself or freely copied from somewhere else, then clearly there is no issue - anyone with access to your computer, or wherever your files are, can get them.
    Right -- but for music files (and movies) that you have downloaded you DO NOT have the legal right to transfer ownership to anyone -- through sale, loan, gift or in your will. Read the fine print.

You never "own" downloads, you only buy the right to play them for yourself.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post

Actually, thanks to an abundance of banking and tax regulations, it is rather lengthy and involved anymore.

Right -- but for music files (and movies) that you have downloaded you DO NOT have the legal right to transfer ownership to anyone -- through sale, loan, gift or in your will. Read the fine print.

You never "own" downloads, you only buy the right to play them for yourself.
    I totally understand that this is the case, but I still think that it's completely stupid.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

i won't care.

The only digital files I own are on Word and Excel on my PC and contain text.
    I don't own one single song or album purchased as a digital file from the cyber-inter-webby-net.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    No one's going to get mine...because I don't have the f^>%!#g things
    I'm with ya there brother man!

1. albums I really like & want to hear often on my MP3 or android phone I load onto my PC, then onto an SD or direct to my mp3 player
    2. I also listen to spotify

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I totally understand that this is the case, but I still think that it's completely stupid.
    From the copyright holder's point of view, it's the only way to ensure future sales.

From the copyright holder's point of view, it's the only way to ensure future sales.
    I just don't understand why a digital file is handled differently from a physical CD or record.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I just don't understand why a digital file is handled differently from a physical CD or record.
    Because you can make unlimited copies that are exactly - exactly - the same as the original in moments at the touch of a button.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I wonder if when digital files are sold on a physical medium, like those USB apples with all the Beatles albums on them, do you own the MP3s just like when you buy an LP you own the grooves or whatever? You could transfer the rights by giving the apple to someone else.

But really, f*** all this philosophical crap - the record companies are screwed plain and simple. They can't expect us to figure all this stuff out. The genie's out of the bottle.

Yep. Copyright law, and the lawyers defending it, are seriously behind the times. DRM isn't the answer. Time for a paradigm shift.

Question: I inadvertently ordered a download of an album from a European site, when I intended to order a CD copy. I did this when very sleepy at 2 am, and didn't realize it until after the transaction. In an email to the vendor I requested a refund, and stated that I had not downloaded the files to my computer. I haven't heard back from them. Can they tell from their computers when or if I downloaded the files they sent, and is it possible to get a refund on something like this? I offered to buy the physical copy if they refund the amount for the download.

Yes they can tell. But they might not be inclined to refund you, since all of their costs (to process the transaction) have already been incurred.

Your best alternative may be to download the files, burn a CD-R, and take your lumps.

OK thanks, Bob!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Yep. Copyright law, and the lawyers defending it, are seriously behind the times. DRM isn't the answer. Time for a paradigm shift.
    I loved when some labels tried releasing CDs with software on them that made it dangerous to try to play them on a PC as a way to protect copyright. Vendors had to warn customers, and some people were saying we should all complain to the labels because what they'd sold was fraudulently called a CD because they didn't adhere to the Redbook standard. LOL - they'll never come out on top!

That wasn't small labels or just a few CDs either!